Duck Hunting Forum banner

Flooding Fields to Help Ducks

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  PBR Me 
#1 ·
Hello to all,
Just wanted to mention something to everyone and see if you all have heard any of the same news I heard today?
I am from North Louisiana and aside from my main job, I help farm on our family farm of 8500acres. While at the farm today, which is along the Mississippi River on the Louisiana side. One of our John Deere salesmen came by and mentioned something that one of our state officials said on news stations in Baton Rouge. He mentioned that the state of Louisiana and government officials are organizing a plan to pay farmers in North Louisiana all the way down to Alexandria, Louisiana (exactly Central Louisiana) to flood as much farmland as possible to keep migrating waterfowl out of the oil spill. Also mentioned that state officials from Arkansas and Missouri were planning on following the same action.
Personnally I feel that this is a good idea. I understand how much of an impact the marshes of South Louisiana have on migrating waterfowl because I used to guide in Southwest Louisiana. I understand that waterfowl have migrated South ever since the Good Lord created them, but hopefully do to more available water, the waterfowl will slow down and use more flooded fields on their migration route, which will give the people that are helping in the gulf a chance to clean up as much oil as possible.

Not sure if any of this has been mentioned to any of you out there, I am new to this site and just wanted to get your thoughts to these plans.
Thanks!!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.