Mississippi River Rising

A place to discuss major environment issues, from the Gulf oil spill to extreme floods.

Moderators: Indaswamp, Dep6, #1wingnut, Smackaduck

Mississippi River Rising

Postby Drinkin' With Deacon » Sun May 01, 2011 2:40 pm

This is getting serious, not just for the folks or Cairo or the farmers of Missouri who may be inundated. The general of the corps has no easy decision.

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1723455.html
General orders barges to be ready to move for Birds Point breach
Conserve Game & Hunt with a Trained Retriever
Drinkin' With Deacon
hunter

Re: Mississippi River Rising

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Theyt must know what they are doing, but to me. THe crop land is worth a lot more than some crappy houses in Cairo, Illinois.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:21 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:Theyt must know what they are doing, but to me. THe crop land is worth a lot more than some crappy houses in Cairo, Illinois.

Wow Jaysweet, i just lost all respect for you. I don't live anywhere near Cairo but those crappy houses are all they have. Just like my crappy house is all I have and others just like me have. It never fails to amaze me how some Northern Illinois people can always look down on the people from southern illinois! You are no better than anyone else in this state and maybe someday you will learn that. Those people of cairo have just as much right to protect there homes as you do! What words would be coming out of your mouth if it was your crappy house getting ready to be wiped out by flood. I bet you would be crying to the Corp to blow the levy also!
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Drinkin' With Deacon » Mon May 02, 2011 9:27 pm

The news reported that the levee will be blown sometime late tonight, we'll see in the morning. The general of the corps has a weighty decision based on imperfect data reflecting almost infinite variables. No matter what he decides, to blow or not blow the levee, he will make decisions that will affect lives in many states.

I'm hard pressed to think of another person who is beholden to so many constituents yet answers to nary a voter.
Drinkin' With Deacon
hunter

Postby dablaw » Mon May 02, 2011 9:32 pm

They just blew the levee in the first of 3 rounds of explosions..I live in Murray and some people here said they even felt it here..I didn't..I know they said in Paducah they felt it as well...I hope they know what there doing as sometimes water does funny things..This won't be just a trickle...If you look at a topo map, it is going to cut a swath across the bootheel and for the most part cut it off...Now if it's going to be temporary or longer term remains to be seen...I know that river is going to follow a path and once it starts you can't stop it...I know that area they are flooding very well and that ground is not like on this side of the river..Wehave alot of clay here but there it's a real sandy loam and I have a feeling it's not going to pan out the way they think...Hope I'm wrong...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby Drinkin' With Deacon » Sat May 07, 2011 8:37 pm

I just read a report requesting the Morganza Spillway to be opened. This will open an additional 600,000 cfs flow to the already announced Bonnet Carre' Spillway (300,000 cfs) opening on Monday. The Morganza opening is the first time since 1973 and only the second time ever. This should all but guarantee the Mississippi Delta, from Old River past Baton Rouge and New Orleans, will be OK. However, our friends upriver still have a long way to go.
Last edited by Drinkin' With Deacon on Thu May 12, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drinkin' With Deacon
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon May 09, 2011 5:58 pm

yep! they are opening the morganza up on thursday-Bonne Carre opened this morning...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon May 09, 2011 6:53 pm

WOW!!! What a doosy of flood waters we got a comin!!
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/09/us-flooding-idUSTRE74462I20110509

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ohio mike » Wed May 11, 2011 7:23 am

As a riverfront dweller and previous flood survivor my sincere sympathy to all involved. Heard on the news last night snakes and rats are becoming a problem in some areas.Thats great in addition to all the regular problems associated with a flood. The smell afterward is terrible. We had tens of thousands of dead nightcrawlers rotting everywhere. Good luck to all.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Drinkin' With Deacon » Fri May 13, 2011 12:55 pm

We're still waiting for the Morganza Floodway to open. Located near the 'corner' of La and Miss it has only been used once and has carrying capacity of half the Ohio River. The USACOE will reserve decision till the last minute to open, but once done will alleviate concerns of mainline levee breaches near the major population centers of Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

For anyone elsewhere in the country not directly affected and probably worn out by the news coverage, do remember about 20% of the US refining capacity is located between BR and NO.

I was on the levee yesterday and it is hard to overstate the raw power that river has. It is truly awesome.
Drinkin' With Deacon
hunter

Postby Drinkin' With Deacon » Sun May 15, 2011 12:53 pm

With the opening of the Morganza Floodway yesterday the river projections have already been revised lower. The Baton Rouge gauge is expected to crest at 45 feet, 2.5 feet lower had the Morganza not been opened and four days earlier. The gauge at New Orleans and town of Reserve (immediately upriver of NO) show the river cresting today. This is great news as the likelihood of a breach or closing of river traffic is approaching zero. The news event now will be for our friends in the central coastal areas who will flood due to water backing up.

Of course this is not over till it's over and there is the real danger of barges breaking loose and damaging bridges or levees, as happened the other evening.
Drinkin' With Deacon
hunter

Postby Ned S » Fri May 27, 2011 1:18 pm

The dams causing the floods were installed for boat traffic. At each damn it say 0 dollars for flood control. For flood control you would empty each pool before,during and after the high water to make room for more water the following year. We didn't have near as many floods before the dams. Ned S the young 82 yr old born on the Mississippi R in Burlington, Ia.. It was my play ground until '74.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri May 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Ned S wrote:The dams causing the floods were installed for boat traffic. At each damn it say 0 dollars for flood control. For flood control you would empty each pool before,during and after the high water to make room for more water the following year. We didn't have near as many floods before the dams. Ned S the young 82 yr old born on the Mississippi R in Burlington, Ia.. It was my play ground until '74.

did not know you were from Louisiana Ned... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Ned S » Sat May 28, 2011 3:58 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Ned S wrote:The dams causing the floods were installed for boat traffic. At each damn it say 0 dollars for flood control. For flood control you would empty each pool before,during and after the high water to make room for more water the following year. We didn't have near as many floods before the dams. Ned S the young 82 yr old born on the Mississippi R in Burlington, Ia.. It was my play ground until '74.

Ia. is Iowa, La is Louisiana. Now I'm a Texan ya'all. Never ever move back to Iowa only by force. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat May 28, 2011 8:01 pm

Ned S wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Ia. is Iowa, La is Louisiana. Now I'm a Texan ya'all. Never ever move back to Iowa only by force. Ned S

my bad... :oops:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Drinkin' With Deacon » Mon May 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Ned, I don't follow your comment about dams. Did I miss something earlier?
Drinkin' With Deacon
hunter

Return to Major Environmental Issues