Global Warming Skepticism

A place to discuss major environment issues, from the Gulf oil spill to extreme floods.

Moderators: Indaswamp, Dep6, #1wingnut, Smackaduck

Re: Global Warming Skepticism

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:34 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
aunt betty wrote: It's against the law for me, as a U.S. citizen to travel to a foreign country to do something that's illegal in the United States.

Is that true, AB? Frankly, I've never really considered it much. If an American does something in a foreign country that is legal there, yet illegal here, do we still face prosecution here? What immediately comes to mind is the old Amsterdam, with rampant and legal drug use. I do remember cases of child sexual abuse that were prosecuted here, but I am not really sure of the legality of the act in the country in which it occured.

Not sure. I believe yes...
Watched a CBS story about the sex trade in Asia and there was some law that allowed US citizens caught performing sex with minors to be prosecuted in US courts. I understood it to mean all crimes...but it's possible the law is specific to sex with minors.

I kind of doubt that if you get caught jay-walking in Honduras that the US govt. would haul you back on charges but I suppose they could if they wanted you bad like al capone or something like that. Same goes for smoking a lil weed at Party Island or whatever it's called.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:37 am

THE SAME LAW SHOULD APPLY TO U.S. COMPANIES THAT MOVE TO AVOID AMERICAN ANTI-POLLUTION LAWS.
Sorry for caps but that's the point I was trying to make last year or whatever. :tongue:
Nice bump man. :smile:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:30 am

Duck_Stank wrote:
On the X wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:It's good to hear from someone that is educated on the subject. And it is interesting to note that you are not convinced. I sincerely was sure that the pre-emminent scientists in the field had decided that it was indeed man-induced, and could be catastrophic if patterns don't change. However, I am open to an educated person's perspective.

Unless these scientists are set for retirement, do you think they're going to derail their gravy train?

I honestly don't get it. At least in my environmental department I am apart of, the other side of the coin is completely shunned. Not a little bit, completely. I still can't understand why this is. I've had professors say they are democrat, why that's needed in the classroom I do not know and leave remarks come student feedback reports. Its been taught as fact to many others and I it is man induced. I refuse to follow the herd and happen to notice the potential profit of a such acclaimed "disaster".

"Beware of Prophets seeking Profits."
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:22 pm

You know what I enjoy about this site. When you have a thread that is more than 4 or 5 pages long it has absolutely nothing to do with the original topic.
As far as global warming get back to me in about a million years. That is a drop in the bucket when you are talking climate and geology. I'm pretty sure that by then whatever we are worrying about now will be ancient history. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby nitram » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:58 pm

“Climate-change activists insist that in science, revisions are routine, and that such corrections prove the good faith of scientists. Even if that's true, one might still note that incentives are unhealthily arranged so that even well-intentioned researchers are encouraged to exaggerate the dangers of climate change and discouraged to criticize hyperbole. Moreover, were it not for the skeptics and deniers, many such corrections would never have been brought to light. … The real problem is that political activists and many leading institutions, particularly in the news media and academia, are determined to demonize any kind of skepticism – about the extent of the threat or the efficacy of proposed solutions – as illegitimate idiocy.” - Jonah Goldberg
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:50 pm

The main thing is no one wants to throw spears and wear animal skins anymore (granted a select few do) but logically it doesn't work for masses of people. Once anyone stops using fossil fuels for their energy uses I may listen, even then it will be with a grain of salt.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:29 am

Duck_Stank wrote:The main thing is no one wants to throw spears and wear animal skins anymore (granted a select few do) but logically it doesn't work for masses of people. Once anyone stops using fossil fuels for their energy uses I may listen, even then it will be with a grain of salt.

Every long trek starts with a step.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby waterfowlman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:17 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
Duck_Stank wrote:The main thing is no one wants to throw spears and wear animal skins anymore (granted a select few do) but logically it doesn't work for masses of people. Once anyone stops using fossil fuels for their energy uses I may listen, even then it will be with a grain of salt.

Every long trek starts with a step.

When the time comes, we'll use the energy technology the aliens have already given us. :biggrin:
Rule Number One: Always use a sledge hammer to kill an ant.
waterfowlman
SIR

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:23 pm

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303532704579477222157281450

The 5th IPCC report justifies being skeptical off the previous ones.

"Current data sets," the report admits, "indicate no significant observed trends in global tropical cyclone frequency over the past century."

Absent, too, are claims such as the one made in 2005 that global warming would create 50 million "climate refugees" by 2010 (later pushed back to 2020).

And this is the greatest of all quotes from the IPCC report.

"the innate behavior of the climate system imposes limits on the ability to predict its evolution."

Did Al Gore have this inconvenient truth in any of his presentations? :huh:

Maybe a little skepticism is warranted when people make claims about a system that has innate behavior of the system imposes limits on the ability to predict its evolution. :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead:

Leftists are never skeptical of the solution. They search for ever changing excuses. The control freaks look for any excuse to control other people. Ever met a control freak that was skeptical of what he believes or his solutions? :no: No matter how often they are wrong, they never change it is in their DNA. Skepticism is something a control freak is unable of grasping. They wouldn't be a control freak if they were cautiously skeptical. That's why they are wrong over and over again and still speak with absolutely no skepticism.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby nitram » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:50 pm

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/201 ... shine.html

PLEASE READ THIS.

I've been a long-time follower of Mr. Freeman Dyson, considered in many circles to be the smartest man in the world. He is one of the signatories of a letter sent to the U.N criticizing the IPCC. He says CO2 could very well be a good thing.

And remember, the alarmists have said the same thing about coffee, eggs (cholesterol), oat bran, etc. and history show they've been wrong overwhelmingly more-so than not. SO now we're supposed to believe a 100-year prediction, or 30-year, or 50-year prediction, when nobody knows (and the globalists have proven they don't) what the future is and acknowledging that they say, "we can't afford to find out if we're wrong". That's how they cover themselves and meanwhile they make you feel guilty for destroying mother earth with your exhaling and flatulence.

Has anyone ever considered what makes plants grow? Seriously, with the 'Core Curriculum' crowd I really wonder. It's sunshine, water, and wait for it............................................CO2. You see, God created the perfect atmosphere whereby we humans and ALL other mammalians breath air ( a mixture of roughly 2/3 nitrogen, & 1/3 oxygen mixed with a few other inert gases) produced by plants. And the plants soak up and live off of our CO2 expulsions. It's the circle of life kinda thing.

It's a giant hoax and science cannot possibly be science if there's a consensus. It's not up to a vote.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:46 am

nitram wrote:I've been a long-time follower of Mr. Freeman Dyson, considered in many circles to be the smartest man in the world.
:rolleyes: And Hillary is considered the smartest woman in the world in some very small intellectually incestuous circles. These silly statements make me laugh.

nitram wrote:You see, God created the perfect atmosphere whereby we humans and ALL other mammalians breath air ( a mixture of roughly 2/3 nitrogen, & 1/3 oxygen mixed with a few other inert gases) produced by plants.
What level of CO2 is perfect? It can't be all of them over history. And if perfect, then by definition we are making it worse if we change things. That is the religion of the left. There is no perfect. It does not exist on Earth. The smartest man on the planet who probably lives in some Asian village and didn't complete high school would get it if he were better educated.

nitram wrote:And the plants soak up and live off of our CO2 expulsions.
There can be too much and there can be too little. Just like nutrients in the water. A little $hit in the water and the fish grow bigger. Too much and the oxygen is consumed by the microorganisms and the fish die.

There is no perfect. There is an optimum which depends on the values of the individual.

Of course, just right is not just right for everybody. That's why there was porridge a three temperatures and not just one. The same is true for CO2. Of course it could in theory be so high or so low that large fractions agree it was too high or too low, but there is no perfect value that all agree. Different plants and animals will have different optimums as well and ranges where they can thrive, ranges where they struggle, and ranges where they die. That is what God did that was perfect. It created as stable system that can adapt to an unbelievably broad range of conditions. The players and their significance will change, but life will go on regardless.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby nitram » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:56 am

I'm glad you could be so easily entertained this morning.
nitram
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:58 am

nitram wrote:I'm glad you could be so easily entertained this morning.

Me too. Always start the day with a smile. :smile:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Scota4570 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:30 pm

http://www.longrangeweather.com/Article ... -Index.htm

I think this guy is a straight shooter.

I think the man caused global warming is not proven. Even if it were there is nothing that the first world citizens could do about it.

I think it is a group of elitist making money by preying on a version of "original sin" psychology that may people are suspectable to. Many folks also have a need to be part of a group. They question little.
Scota4570
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:11 pm

2Longgone wrote:
aunt betty wrote:

If you really believe all this crap and want to "go green" just go out and shoot yourself. It's really the only way you can help. QUIT BREATHING...IT MAKES GREENHOUSE GASSES AND IT'S HEATING UP MY BACK YARD!

The "believers" are all preaching "go green" as they go out and buy a new home that is so huge it has (4) 200-amp electrical services, a home theater, swimming pool, and indoor tennis court.

X10

Al Gore. KIng of the "go green" movement. Living in a 12,000sq ft mansion. Flying around in his personal jet. Hell he uses more energy in a year than most of us in our lifetime.
kcwellington
hunter

Previous

Return to Major Environmental Issues