Global Warming Skepticism

A place to discuss major environment issues, from the Gulf oil spill to extreme floods.

Moderators: Indaswamp, Dep6, #1wingnut, Smackaduck

Re: Global Warming Skepticism

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:58 pm

97% of the world's scientists involved in research of this issue have concurred that man-made global warming with major consequences is real. Do you tell your surgeon how to operate on you? Listen to people that have MUCH more knowledge of a subject than you. Why do conservatives NOT care about health of humans and the earth? Why? It's straight economics. If there is a buck to be made screw tomorrow. Which means screw our kids. And their kids. Proud?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:05 am

I'm just stunned that you cant even get some people to admit that we contribute to the effects? Is it because it will contradict their investments in Big Oil?
Forget trying to discuss solutions, just drive your self crazy trying to get them to say that it's real....

Don't forget, there were NO weapons of mass destruction.!!!!

"oh yes there were, there had to be, there just had to be!"
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby 2Longgone » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Long Gone.....

I don't think anyone is suggesting that you can eliminate your footprint on the environment, but "going green" has become a dirty word to selfish people who would rather believe that we are past the point of no return (hmmmmm, 2LonGone???).
Why do you still leave your diesel running at the 7-11?
Why don't you just separate your recyclables, you know it helps?
Why not get an on demand water heater the next time your blows? Do you really need 60 gallons of hot water reheating all day while you are at the bar?
So many little things that add up to a lot.

Even if global warming really turns out to be a natural swing shift, these things will save you money, keep things clean, limit waste etc...

What's the problem?

Hmm so how does someone respond to a tirade such as this. You call me out and label me as selfish.

Well I feel really good to know that it is your calling to save mother earth and encourge you to do so, as it probably gives your life purpose.

I'm just stunned that you cant even get some people to admit that we contribute to the effects? Is it because it will contradict their investments in Big Oil?
Forget trying to discuss solutions, just drive your self crazy trying to get them to say that it's real....

Here is the first line of my quote.
Obliviously there are actions that we as a human race perform that affect the environment

Good day and good luck on your quest to save us all.
2Longgone
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:24 pm

dudejcb wrote:
dakotashooter2 wrote:Many scientist also claim that a single event like Mt St Helens can negate ANY efforts the human race makes in a single year to attempt to reverse global warming.
That may well be true. So what?
That doesn't unburden us from that for which we are responsible, it just makes it more important.

Well said, Dude :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Borane4 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:57 am

I have two big problems with this whole GW discussion...

1. They will never prove or disprove conclusively. Even if they could, it would be spun so that everyone has their own take on the "facts." There is little doubt that the earth changes temps all the time. Not on our timescale, but massive temp swings over 1000s of years. Are we affecting it? Who really knows - but certainly without us the earth is capable of massive swings. Someone above said "97% of the scientists believe" its us doing it. OK, so what? Im a Ph.D. chemist and I believe that glucosamine helps my knees feel better. My Dr. says there is no proof that it does anything and Im wasting my money. Who's right? I can generate data to support virtually anything.

2. A bigger issue is that the "solution" to the problem is for us to pay money. Taxes and surcharges and penalties will compel us to conserve resources. Given that they will never prove or disprove this conclusively, this seems like a money-generating scheme by the government(s) that certainly benefit from taking our earnings away from us to help make them bigger. All governments benefit from this approach and most enviro scientists are employed by government. So be careful about believing blindly what the 97% are telling you.

When I was a young teen were were talk that an ice-age was coming - it didnt. Heating oil prices and insulation were all the rage in the 70s. Now we teach the kids the world is gonna melt - and gas prices and carbon taxes are all the rage. What will it be in 20 more years. My bet it will be much like its always been - a big "government" trying to convince us that we must all pull together to kill a beast by giving them more of our money.

Read 1984 by Orwell. In 1950 he hit the nail on the head.
Borane4
Newb

Postby wvugunner92 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:18 pm

You can call it whatever you want. The biggest thing that I have noticed is that we had 1 fith our average population of migrating geese on marylands eastern shore this season, and there is no question that it was due to way above average temps. Also we have water temperatures in the bay higher than normal. Caught a 50 inch pre spawn stripper in mid march this year while it was 75 degrees out, normally dont start catching them till late april.

Temp change is real no matter what is causing it.
Lock em nd Drop em
wvugunner92
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:29 pm

The way temperature is measured affects the people who are the 97% of scientists. Just the title scientist doesn't mean they are all-knowing. I agree "average" temperatures are up and the sea level is rising as well. I don't think I'd go so far to say that mankind is 100% of the cause. Surely we have an effect on the environment. Go look at a bayou in Arkansas and you can see what we as humans do to the environment. TRASH Galore.

I doubt we can reverse the temp. change by changing what type of cars we Americans drive but if we could get all the other countries to accept the Clean Air Act and get them all to accept the U.S. EPA standards for everything...THAT would make a big difference. The rest of the world can pollute all they want (and they are).

This EPA and Clean Air Act has crippled American industry. It's simply cheaper to go to China and manufacture products. Cheap labor isn't the only factor involved. No pollution standards means 'anything goes'.

It's a global issue and until we get a global government. Wealthy companies will do what they have to do, and go where they have to go to get their bottom lines in the black. THIS is the real issue, at least in our country (USA).
As soon as people realize what American Companies have done to avoid being 'clean' we'll be making some progress towards a cleaner, cooler planet.

It's against the law for me, as a U.S. citizen to travel to a foreign country to do something that's illegal in the United States. Let's make this universal and make it apply to Companies and Corporations as well. We need to pass a law that states that all products imported by the U.S.A. be held to the same pollution standards as they are in the U.S.A.

THAT's BIG! Now stand up and YELL!
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby dudejcb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:52 pm

aunt betty wrote:It's a global issue and ... Wealthy companies will do what they have to do, and go where they have to go to get their bottom lines in the black. THIS is the real issue, at least in our country (USA).
As soon as people realize what American Companies have done to avoid being 'clean' we'll be making some progress towards a cleaner, cooler planet.

It's against the law for me, as a U.S. citizen to travel to a foreign country to do something that's illegal in the United States. Let's make this universal and make it apply to Companies and Corporations as well. We need to pass a law that states that all products imported by the U.S.A. be held to the same pollution standards as they are in the U.S.A.

THAT's BIG! Now stand up and YELL!

I agree with you. Part of the logic (that may have been lost along the way) behind the idea of a carbon tax was that those companies/countries who took the easy way and polluted to make their products would be assessed a carbon tax if they wanted to sell their products into the west. This notion was that this would partially level the field so that those doing the environmentally sound thing would not be placed at a competitive disadvantage. Then there's the issue of low foreign wages and fair trade rules to further level the competitive game field.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:03 pm

Well said Waterfowlman. :thumbsup: I would like to ask the global warming/climate change church members- What is the ideal temperature and why is that the ideal temperature? :huh:

The Earth has been generally warming since the last ice age :fingerhead: and there is not one thing we can or should try to do about it. Now if we could raise the temperature, that would be an awesome feat as the vast majority of species on this planet thrive in the warmth. :yes:

And as for the precious glaciers. Most are left over from the ice age and have been melting since then. Go back and blame the sun for this ecological disaster. :crying: :crying: :crying:

In the mean time, I think the best we can hope for is that all members of the Church of Global Warming go sit in their compost bins and well....stop living. Then you can claim you are doing your part. Otherwise, each breath you exhale is contributing to the death of baby seals. :crying: :crying: :crying:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon May 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Here is another thought or two. The earth has an eliptical orbit around the sun as it moves closer and further away we get hotter and colder. Over and over and over again. Guess what folks, we are getting closer right now.

Here is why all the uproar and efforts to stop global warming are a waste of time. The rest of the world is becoming more and industrialized. As this happens countrys with no environmental laws are spewing more and more filth and gasses into our world. They are dramatically outgrowing anything we can do to reduce out emissions. So we are spending millions on a pointless agenda based on the world impact we in America will have. Now, it will make lots of people feel good, it will clean up our little tiny part of the world, and will have an almost zero effect on what is happening across the rest of the world.

So no matter how hard we work to make it better we are chasing our tails on a feel good agenda.

Global warming is real, I suggest anyone who lives on the coast learn how to tread water.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby HonkQuackBang » Sat May 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Bull!

Global warming! NO SUCH THING!

Over in Australlia there was a documentary about a drought that lasted a very long time actually alot longer than what it should! But the so called scientists said it was due to global warming! NOPE! An old farmer who is dead now said it happened when he was a child! Suppose that was Global warming too??

Also i dont know about America but since this Global warming **** started to come in the news! Everything has got dearer! You are charged for everything over here! An Irishman once said PAY NO TAX PAY NOTHING! Cant take blood out of a stone!

Global warming? I wouldnt waste my time talking about it! just puttin in my speak!
HonkQuackBang
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Sat May 19, 2012 10:02 pm

I love it when a liberal points fingers and cries fowl at every conservative and blames it on companies protected by them. I have a news flash for you! Your liberal politicians are the same corporate whores that the conservatives are and would not get reelected without those mega corps funding them. I don't see your precious leaders in control right now fixing a thing.

Oh, and if you drive a car, use electricity, buy plastic products, anything non-organic, shop at Walmart, etc, etc, etc..... this list goes on for pages, then you gentlemen and ladies are part of the problem and can get off your high horse and embrace that you are busily killing the world while pointing fingers at everyone else. Lets just call the global warming agenda what it is, a liberal agenda to raise funds and taxes without fixing a thing. If the liberals were serious about fixing global warming they would pass the laws to make it all happen right now. Guess what, there would be no more liberal leaders and the Democratic Party would die in the next election. They can't get reelected without funding, and that comes from corporations. Rape the corporations and funding drys up.

Save a liberal, kill the truth.

And for those that don't believe in global warming. In the words of Bill Cosby, how long can you tread water?
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon May 21, 2012 4:59 pm

As an equal opportunity bubble burster I have to say that anyone who believes the environmental rules are what make businesses move is way beyond wrong. CAFTA, NAFTA, and lack of tariffs are what moved businesses out of the US. Lax environmental laws were just a bonus savings. So if your a believer in killing the environment for profit, you should stop sucking up the kool aid and do some research. That is a corporate mantra fed to the gullible. Corporations don't care about you and will happily poison you and your children for a buck.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby TScott27 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:04 pm

According to a lot of environmental groups and the government, global warming is what we have right now. They have presented studies, researches, all stating that global warming is for real.

Yes we call all help in little ways to lessen the impact on the environment but at the same time, it is quite impossible for us to live in the stone age. :eek: Couldn't imagine life without all the tech and conveniences that we enjoy today.
TScott27
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:11 am

There are many factors that led the U.S. manufacturers to leave and make their products overseas. There are other factors that are causing overseas manufacturers to build plants in the U.S. at the same time.

I recall hearing companies fighting like crazy when the EPA was created and the Clean Air Act was passed. They all threatened to leave if it got passed AND THEN THEY DID.

Yep, I'm old enough to remember watching old Walter Cronkite talking about this stuff. It happened. Now we're arguing about why.

Global warming is a gimmic. Go buy a Prius if you believe. Take the AC out of your home and recycle the materials if you REALLY believe. Unhook yourself from the grid if you REALLY REALLY believe.
Go plant a tree every day until you die. Kiss a fish.

Keep in mind that very large corporations are doing everything they can to help...LOL
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:03 am

WE'RE ALL GOIN TO DIE AGGGGGHHHH
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:10 am

If it's a global swing that happens every few Milena or if it's actually man made (of course); discussing it is a good opportunity to evaluate what we could be doing better/cleaner for the future.
It's a no brainer
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby HonkQuackBang » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Over here in Ireland we see on tv that the polar caps are melting away but when you see it on tv all i can see is ice! Dont look too war in the poles! Global Warming is Bull and just another way of getting £/$ outta the normal working man! Simples!
HonkQuackBang
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:59 pm

I did a paper on this for my botany class.
Image This is a chart we all used in class to show the steady and increasing change in the climate. It doesn't seem like it's a huge number but it will have a great effect way in the future. I've seen that each year, we need to plant our corn in different weeks each year because water cycles are changing. I haven't had corn for the 4th of July for the passed 5 years. We now pick it around the 24th.
This article expains some "possible" effects of global climate change. It also talks about how the developing countries are effected first. I honestly believe there will be water wars in the future in these countries.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30998907/ns/us_news-environment/t/climate-change-death-toll-put-year/
Global warming is a very interesting topic. I think Al Gore really kind of represented it very wrongly so it is now criticized. It should be called climate change rather than global warming. Each week I've also seen on the news, Utah has hit record heats this passed month. People run their AC's, coal is burned more to provide electricity, then methane, co2, and other harmful gases are released into the air depleating the ozone. I think only time will tell if "global warming" is something extremely serious or not. I think before someone says it's a myth or a hoax, needs to understand what these claims are, how they work, and do the research.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Norsky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Due to the current discovery of oil and efficient method of retrieving it there has to be another way to create power. Imagine what would happen to gold if there seemed to be an endless supply of it. Hard to make a profit? Like most things in life. Follow the money. The geek squad want's revenge. Who better to create a new way of powering our nation, homes, auto? The ones screaming are the ones who will gain with monetary or revenge for being called different.
Norsky
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:28 am

Does anyone read Waterforl and Retreiver Magazine? For some reason I got a free issue of it yesterday and noticed an article on "Climate Change." Might be worth reading into now that a duck hunting source agrees.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:32 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:Does anyone read Waterforl and Retreiver Magazine? For some reason I got a free issue of it yesterday and noticed an article on "Climate Change." Might be worth reading into now that a duck hunting source agrees.

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t expect this to change many minds. When people base their stances on their politics rather than sincerely sought knowledge, they will ignore all sources that dispute their views, citing only those that agree with them.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Is Earth warming up? Yes. Why? From the envrionmental science classes I've taken in furthering my education the answer, to me anyways, is quite simple. It is the human race's fault.

1) The earth is darker now than it was 100, even 200 years ago. Our roads are paved with asphalt. We have large asphalt parking lots where fields used to be. Most houses are roofed with dark colored shingles. All the darkness we are adding to the earth's surface is contributing to a larger amount of solar energy (heat) being retained rather than being reflected back into space. What could we, as humans, do to lessen our retention of heat? Instead of paving using asphalt, use concrete. It is lighter and would reflect more UV into space. Instead of roofing our homes and structures with dark colored shingles, use relective materials such as sheet aluminum, etc.

2) Humans are very dependent on fossil fuels. What happens when we burn fossil fuels? Massive amounts of CO2, chlorofluorocarbons, and other greenhouse gasses, are placed in the atmosphere. The atmosphere then retains more solar energy (heat) because it becomes trapped in the stratosphere. Renewable energy sources, such as hydroelectric, wind, solar, do not require the use of fossil fuels to create electricity, thereby creating less pollution. Another side effect from the use of fossil fuels is the creation of large sinkholes over the areas where these resources are mined or pumped out of the ground and the voids are not filled.

3) There is too much money to be made through the dependency on fossil fuels for companies to buy into renewable energy. Even though the R&D has already been done and the previously stated sources of renewable energy are viable, the big companies continue to push the use of fossil fuels.

Now, I don't get into the politics because I don't really care until they start affecting my constitutional rights or my hunting privelages, but I am not for handouts and I'm not against making money, but there has got to be a middle ground somewhere.
[/soapbox]
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby waterfowlman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:30 am

It was just recently discovered that 50 million years ago Antarctica was a tropical rain forest. I'll bet those few folks down there wouldn't mind a little global warming.
Earth has been undergoing some pretty radical climate changes for hundreds of millions of years and there is nothing the human race can do to change that fact.
Rule Number One: Always use a sledge hammer to kill an ant.
waterfowlman
SIR

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:55 am

waterfowlman wrote:It was just recently discovered that 50 million years ago Antarctica was a tropical rain forest. I'll bet those few folks down there wouldn't mind a little global warming.
Earth has been undergoing some pretty radical climate changes for hundreds of millions of years and there is nothing the human race can do to change that fact.

As far as I understand it, WFM, it's the rate of change that is the problem. Much like the extinction of species of flora and fauna due to loss of habitat etc. There were always species that came and went, just not at the rate that has occured since the proliferation of mankind. It could be argued that volcano eruptions, meteors, etc caused a radical, almost instantaneous shift but those are anomalies, not trends.
Glimmerjim
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Major Environmental Issues