Global Warming Skepticism

A place to discuss major environment issues, from the Gulf oil spill to extreme floods.

Moderators: Indaswamp, Dep6, Smackaduck

Re: Declining Sea Ice...good and bad

Postby Alaska_Skeeter » Sat May 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Alaska_Skeeter wrote:
Alaska_Skeeter wrote:
Alaska_Skeeter wrote:No one can deny the steady substantial decline in arctic sea ice since the 1979s due to warming.

With more open water in the fall, interior Alaska has had longer and warmer falls.
In the 1990s I was lucky to hunt ducks until the end of September before the marshes froze.
1992 was an extreme with marsh freeze-up the second week of September, now
the marshes don't freeze until mid-October.

In the 1990s there was typically enough snow for snowmaching/mushing by mid October,
now I'm training retrievers until the end of November due to lack of snow or low snow.

It's not all good...moose season runs Sept 11-25 and I hunt the last ten days.
In the 1990s those would be frosty hunts, now I have to swat mosquitoes and
make sure the meat cools quickly and head into town after a few days of harvesting a bull,
instead of staying in camp for the ten days with cold meat bags.

Based on spruce tree-ring data, interior Alaska has been experiencing the warmest summers
in the past 200 years.

With warmer summers are large wildfires.
Big wildfire years were 2004,2005,2009,2013,2015.
The good is post-fire moose habitat!
The bad are weeks of smoke making it difficult to stay in shape running
and packing the in mountains getting ready for sheep hunting in August.

Other consequences of declining sea ice are increased coastal erosion in Alaska.
Sea ice reduces the fetch of coastal storms, effectively acting as a buffer especially in early winter storms.

Another consequence of significant warming in Alaska is thawing permafrost,
which occurs when the mean annual temperature exceeds 0 degrees C.
The cost associated with thawing permafrost is substantial due to infrastructure (buildings, roads).

Climate warming evidence is abundant in Alaska.
Costs and benefits both occur with climate warming.

From a big game perspective in Alaska moose are likely to benefit due to increased wildfire and thus winter browse,
caribou may decline , in fact most caribou herds in Alaska have declined or are declining (Mulchatna herd, Aphabet Hills,
Western Arctic, Central Arctic herds, etc.) Most king salmon runs have also declined substantially....

In the long term, likely elk and mule deer will fill niches as the climate continues to warm in interior Alaska.
Both are now in the Yukon ...
Alaska_Skeeter
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Global Warming Skepticism

Postby HNTFSH » Mon May 08, 2017 4:54 pm

Heard some report today that "scientists" (unvetted, not much detail to share) suggest the earth in 2019, will enter a cyclical cooling period. A fairly hefty one.

I think this is the basis of the assertion.

http://notrickszone.com/2015/08/12/now- ... SacMA.dpbs
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat May 13, 2017 4:06 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Heard some report today that "scientists" (unvetted, not much detail to share) suggest the earth in 2019, will enter a cyclical cooling period. A fairly hefty one.

A "former meteorologist." Well, that settles it once and for all! :lol3: :lol3: I realize it is fully a republican contention, but you don't have to buy into EVERYTHING that they say, HF. They elected Trump you know! :lol3: :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun May 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Heard some report today that "scientists" (unvetted, not much detail to share) suggest the earth in 2019, will enter a cyclical cooling period. A fairly hefty one.

A "former meteorologist." Well, that settles it once and for all! :lol3: :lol3: I realize it is fully a republican contention, but you don't have to buy into EVERYTHING that they say, HF. They elected Trump you know! :lol3: :lol3:

Well, first I said I had not vetted it so....there's that, don't get a chubby. Two, there are dozens of links that suggest the same thing which are likely as credible, if not more so, than global warming hysteria fans.

But one thing does remain consistent, the earth has always gone through cycles and always will. :thumbsup:

You can literally find "sources" to back any position except disagreeing with the sentence above.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Previous

Return to Major Environmental Issues