Attainable or stupidity?

A place to discuss major environment issues, from the Gulf oil spill to extreme floods.

Moderators: Indaswamp, Dep6, #1wingnut, Smackaduck

Attainable or stupidity?

Postby Duck_Stank » Thu May 22, 2014 2:19 pm

Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Re: Attainable or stupidity?

Postby Duck_Stank » Thu May 22, 2014 2:20 pm

Interesting at least.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu May 22, 2014 3:59 pm

As long as they have zero subsidy :thumbsup:

My guess is that they will extremely expensive and not produce near as much electricity as expected because of the dirt, dust, oil, road kill, etc. that will coat them.

However, I hope I'm wrong and they are freaking awesome and everybody wants to buy them without a single government mandate.

BTW, they need to greatly revise down their amount of roadsurface to account for the fraction covered by trees and traffic. However, even if only 10% of the roads are suitable, that would still be incredible IF, the ever giant if, they are the most cost effective solution. They have advantage of getting value from two sources. One as a superior road and two from the electricity. However, I still think the cost of electricity will be way too high.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Thu May 22, 2014 8:32 pm

Yeah just seems extremely difficult to install and maintain I guess. Oh, and expensive. I never thought of the dirt etc piling up either. If it created jobs people may be for it I suppose.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu May 22, 2014 9:25 pm

Duck_Stank wrote:If it created jobs people may be for it I suppose.

It's not about creating jobs. It's about creating wealth. And that only happens if it is superior to the alternative.

I have no doubt there are more jobs than there are people at $0.35 per hour in the U.S. which used to be a good job in the past and sadly still is in a few countries.

If they are inferior and the government mandates or subsidizes them, they will destroy wealth, which means on average all of our jobs will be less valuable than they otherwise would be because we pay more for the same, pay more taxes, earn less in our pensions and retirement accounts, get paid less, and/or work less hours.

Subsidizing or mandating an inferior product is a destructive force and not a job creator.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:10 pm

Solar freakin roadways? Not happening. How much per square foot? AHAHAHAHAHA
PAVE ARKANSAS FIRST PLEASE!

Now it is completely feasable that ¨the man¨ will make a law forcing YOU to buy a solar driveway or maybe some solar parking lots but until they study this a whole lot more in all types of conditions including FLOOD I'm not buying it.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Return to Major Environmental Issues