Duck Hunting Forum banner

Attack on MO Conservation

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kdog 
#1 ·
There is a group of legislatures with a serious vendetta against MDC, and they wish to cripple it at any cost. It bothers them greatly that they have no political control over the MDC and its funding. Since the sales tax for conservation was passed in 1976, various law makers have tried periodically to get control of MDC funding and/or to be able to dictate management of the state's fish and wildlife. Never has there been such a concerted and comprehensive effort to destroy the Department as we know it. They're attacking from every angle.

Here's a listing of all the bills currently under consideration that would damage the way MDC functions.
SJR1 (Munzlinger), which attacks the composition of the Conservation Commission and would politicize it from the inside.

SB178 (Munzlinger), which is another attempt to reclassify captive deer as livestock.
HJR 8 (Redmon), proposes a constitutional provision repealing the sales and use tax for conservation.
HJR 27 (Spencer), proposes a constitutional amendment reducing the sales tax by half.
HJR 28 (Spencer, proposes a constitutional amendment requiring the conservation sales tax to be approved by voters ever 10 years.
HB 315 (Brown), requires the DOC to conduct testing of deceased deer found along state highways for chronic wasting disease.
HB 316 (Brown), requires Conservation Commission members to register as lobbyists and follow lobbyist rules and regulations.
HB 317 (Brown), requires the DOC to reimburse automobile owners of the $500 for damages inflicted upon vehicles by deer.

See less See more
#2 ·
While I feel that MDC misuses it's resources (our tax dollars) too often, is corrupt and fails to listen to our input (our being the outdoorsmen that fund it), I would hate to see their funding become part of the general fund. That seems to be the intent once again. They've made ridiculous cuts just to fund the big wigs in the dpt. and their extravagant trips. Look at the report that just came out about the overspending on state planes by mdc.

I think what they need is an overhaul from the top down. Get the "biologists" out and move on to people that spend more time in the field/stream/duck blind than in an office doing the latest "research". We need to do away with the conservation commission for starters. They are all politically connected obviously. Are they willingly giving up the goods? Need to put the management of the areas BACK into the hands of the area managers. I'm friends with one. The stuff he has told me floored me. Right now every area around the state is being micro managed out of Jefferson City, where all the beurocrats are! On my side of the state if you saw how poorly they have done with the Mississippi river blinds you'd see my point. Ask a question and you get an answer from some guy or gal in Jeff City that has never hunted those areas, but somehow has all the answers to shove down your throat!

As for the revenue lost by these proposals MDC would be gone for good. As of right now, and talking to my friend, they would have you believe MDC is strapped for cash. They aren't! They misuse and misallocate funds. If these bills fail then watch for an investigation into how they are misusing the tax revenue. Then a vote by citizens to disband it. That's the next step. In fact it already started with the report I mentioned above. What in the world do these politicians want the tax dollars for? More entitlement programs for the lazy and unmotivated that's what! The tax increase needed to fund MDC would be paid by all and would likely be much more than what it is now paid by the few. They won't tell us that part.

Politicians are already running it, sadly. What's even worse is it's just a matter of time before they win. Remember we have to "spread the wealth", and "fairness". I'm long winded on this because both sides tick me off. I like you have a lot to lose. I DO NOT wish for MDC to be disbanded, just torn down and start from scratch with common sense approaches to management and how our tax dollars are used.

#3 ·
Interesting points. If you want your voice heard on this, probably your best avenue is the Conservation Federation of Missouri.
A lot of people don't know about the Conservation Federation of Missouri. It is a citizen's organization of individuals and sportsmen's groups. They are not affiliated with any political group or government organization. They monitor and present a unified voice before the legislature, the MDC and the DNR. The members of CFM are the conscience of hunters, fishermen, foresters, campers, trappers, hikers, paddlers, birdwatchers and more. CFM speaks for sportsmen and sportswomen whenever and wherever it is necessary, to support our collective opinions on the future of Missouri outdoors. In fact, most of the conservation legislation in Missouri today exists, because of the federation's strong advocacy work.
To sign up for their Legislative Action Alerts, their newsletter and/or to join, visit: http://confedmo.org/

#4 ·
oktakem said:
While I feel that MDC misuses it's resources (our tax dollars) too often, is corrupt and fails to listen to our input (our being the outdoorsmen that fund it), I would hate to see their funding become part of the general fund. That seems to be the intent once again. They've made ridiculous cuts just to fund the big wigs in the dpt. and their extravagant trips. Look at the report that just came out about the overspending on state planes by mdc.

I think what they need is an overhaul from the top down. Get the "biologists" out and move on to people that spend more time in the field/stream/duck blind than in an office doing the latest "research". We need to do away with the conservation commission for starters. They are all politically connected obviously. Are they willingly giving up the goods? Need to put the management of the areas BACK into the hands of the area managers. I'm friends with one. The stuff he has told me floored me. Right now every area around the state is being micro managed out of Jefferson City, where all the beurocrats are! On my side of the state if you saw how poorly they have done with the Mississippi river blinds you'd see my point. Ask a question and you get an answer from some guy or gal in Jeff City that has never hunted those areas, but somehow has all the answers to shove down your throat!

As for the revenue lost by these proposals MDC would be gone for good. As of right now, and talking to my friend, they would have you believe MDC is strapped for cash. They aren't! They misuse and misallocate funds. If these bills fail then watch for an investigation into how they are misusing the tax revenue. Then a vote by citizens to disband it. That's the next step. In fact it already started with the report I mentioned above. What in the world do these politicians want the tax dollars for? More entitlement programs for the lazy and unmotivated that's what! The tax increase needed to fund MDC would be paid by all and would likely be much more than what it is now paid by the few. They won't tell us that part.

Politicians are already running it, sadly. What's even worse is it's just a matter of time before they win. Remember we have to "spread the wealth", and "fairness". I'm long winded on this because both sides tick me off. I like you have a lot to lose. I DO NOT wish for MDC to be disbanded, just torn down and start from scratch with common sense approaches to management and how our tax dollars are used.
Well this pretty much sums up my thoughts!! Like you said i know several of the guys at Pass.. And they cant do much without some jackwagon in Jeff city telling them too/its ok And those people have NEVER been to the place Typical state agency (im state employee, mental health just as bad)

#5 ·
I'd like to know how much restriction each area has. I've spoke with the manager at Schell Osage and he's a big fan of moist soil units, where Four Rivers loves corn. They are within 8 miles of eachother, what's the difference? Does the Schell manager REALLY like moist soil, or is it that the department forces him to like moist soil? I wonder if the Pass has to get special permission to plant a certain pool in corn? Broad questions but if they are micro-managed so much, is this the extent?

I sincerely hope that the funding does not get cut. We have such great resources (some mismanaged, some not) that other states do not have the luxury of utilizing. Would it help if they couldn't plan corn in the refuges? Would it spread out the ducks a little more? Probably, but I'm sure that's their golden ticket: "We hold "X" amount of ducks at "X" conservation area because of all this corn." The only matrix the "big wigs" have to measure are quantifiable numbers. They can't just say "we think we're doing a good job." Well of course you do, your job is on the line. So, no matter how hard one works, numbers give a representation of the body of work. It may not tell the whole story, but it's the most efficient way for "upper management", if you will, to measure success.

If I could change a few ways the system is managed, I would. But leave the resources alone. If anyone is familiar with trickle down economics, one could see the writing on the wall. Just because funding gets cut, doesn't mean that the big wigs will be SOL on things. They will continue to make what they make, spend how they spend, all at the cost of cutting more resources from the actual areas and programs. It's just like the saying of "the cost gets passed onto the consumer". Same thing with allocation of funding. It's sad to see people fighting over it, especially us hunters. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good for the greater good.

#6 ·
3-4 years ago 5-6 of the top MDC heads got/gave themselves a %10 wage increase! This is after 8 years of no raises or the %1.5 cost of living increase that we typically get "because their broke" Of course this was all learned about 6 months after it happened and it literally almost caused a employee strike!!! Magicially the next year MDC employees got a %2 raise :rolleyes: Greed Greed Greed Money isnt being used properly but thats expected

#7 ·
I believe ,areas get there cost share based on area usage ,,Im sure four rivers get more man hour usage than schell does

Im trying to figure out why Missouri needs to fund another organization(cfm) to tell another (mdc) on how to spend the publics tax money ............If that isnt massaged political tactics i dont know what is ..........
the past mdc was an elite bunch of down to earth dudes.....this new regime needs to go, from hoskins to hitler ziehmer ,mdc isnt going in the right direction imo....without a kick in the pants they will continue on this path

The feel good surveys an meetings are a waste of time and money ,When the publics views are thrown in the trash And they proceed to implement what they were going to do in the first place .....Arrogance comes to mind with how the public views are snubbed ..........Take em down a notch or two

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.