Atv decoy trailer

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Atv decoy trailer

Postby Wackin'n'stackin'waterfowl » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:47 am

I'm wanting to build/buy an atv decoys trailer... I'm open to any ideas let me know what you guys use
Like us on Facebook... Wackin'n'stackin'waterfowl
Wackin'n'stackin'waterfowl
hunter

Re: Atv decoy trailer

Postby handyandy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:42 pm

are you wanting a trailer to hook up to your atv or one to pull your atv with?
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:38 am

handyandy wrote:are you wanting a trailer to hook up to your atv or one to pull your atv with?

The smart way would be to use the same for both. Pull your atv to your spot on it, then hook it to your atv and load with decoys from your truck and pull into the field.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:19 am

Fellow I hunted with in Wi. does that very thing..... he built a rigid platform on the back of his decoy trailer to haul his atv. Once he gets to his X and offloads his atv. he simply removes the "platform", then ataches a set of wheels to it and hooks it up to his atv. He platform/trailer has soft sides that he stores inside the trailer so he can hold a 2-3 doz full bodies for the ride out. A nice setup!
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Wackin'n'stackin'waterfowl » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:48 pm

I want a trailer to pull behind my ATV and it don't have to hual my ATV to the location
Like us on Facebook... Wackin'n'stackin'waterfowl
Wackin'n'stackin'waterfowl
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Northern Tool, among others, sells small kits, that you put together, of 40" x 48" utility trailers which would be a good size for a decoy trailer. You would have to cut some treated plywood for the bottom and sides and top if you wanted a top. You could do something as simple as using "L" braces to attach the 4 sides together and a tarp over the top with bungees for weather protection. They sell in the $260-$280 range. Pretty cheap for trailers. Harbor Freight has the same size on sale for $180 with smaller tires.

http://www2.northerntool.com/industrial-trailers.htm

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=utility+trailer

trailer photo.jpg
(30.93 KiB) Downloaded 1915 times

easy simple way to attach sides & bottom to trailer:
'L' braces to attach bottom to trailer & sides to bottom,
'L' braces to attach sides to sides.
Last edited by tenfingergrip on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:07 pm

I built one to use around our deer camp for under 30 bucks, and 1 evening fartin around in the shop. Used used rear wheels and tires from old riding lawnmower, frame,uprights, and top rail outa some old bed rails I had layin around, axil from piece of 1" tubeing, spindals from 3/4" sucker rod, toungh 2x2 sq. tubeing, bought a 2' atwood hitch at farmers co-op 12.00, and 1 4x8x3x4 plywood 15.00. Mounted axile ridged to frame with tires under bed. Used the plywood for the bed and drop in tailgate.
Granted I had most of the steel layin around the shop, but if had to purchase it cost would have been around and additional 50 or 60 bucks. I've hauld close to 500lbs. on it and it has alotta ground clearence.
THE PRIDE OF HASKELL COUNTY OKLA.unknown in other parts of the world
"FLY YOU LEAD CARRIN BASTARD" ( My dad, 1919/1997)
bubba57
hunter

Postby jeepman » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:53 am

I hunt quite a few beaver ponds and sections of river that i can't access by boat. I ride trails to these places and use a 4x6 trailor i bought at tractor supply for around $230.00. i put 1x6 board sides on it and it is large enough to hold my dog crate and a few dozon decoys plus other gear. goose full bodies a larger and require more space, but i think it is also all how you store them that makes the difference on how many you can carry.
jeepman
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:03 pm

I often toyed with the idea of a trailer that could haul the ATV and then haul it with the ATV but I couldn't seen to decide about the suspension and tyres , road tyres are not the best in snow and atv tyres are no good on pavement so as you can see it's an ATV trailer used to haul everything associated with the back roads and woods. When I need to haul other things on the highway I have made several trailers for those applications.
Before I mounted a winch on the back of the atv I had one that would slide onto the trailer tongue and used power from a pigtail from the atv battery using Anderson quick connectors, very handy for hauling on boats or Moose etc.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby soillgoosehunter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:29 pm

I modified a 5x8 tilt trailer to haul mine in. Put 2x12's around the bottom inside the rails
to give me something to attach to. I used 3/4 inch conduit cut 1 ft long and screwed them into the the wood around the bottom of inside the trailer abou every 2 ft, then attached cattle panels to 1/2 conduit in 4 ft lengths wher it would slide down into the 3/4 inch conduit. Used hose clamps to attach the 1/2 inch to the panels and clamped the corners together. It is solid and holds 6 doz bigfeet with 3 lay down blinds. And in the summer the whole "cage" slides right out of the 3/4 conduit and the trailer is fully usable. Takes 2 minutes to have it ready for decoys again. I'm trying to come up with a lighting setup but haven't found what I'm looking for yet. I can send pics, probably hard to see what I've done by my description.
soillgoosehunter
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting