portable blind

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Re: portable blind

Postby quackattack77 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:10 pm

do you have a quad? I took three chain link fence gates, put them together, painted them, strapped on some cover and TIG welded some little wheels I found to the bottom. I put two hooks on the top to make it drag behind the quad from the back rack, when at the blind just unfold and shoot ducks! (PS not to heavy to carry)
quackattack77
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:35 am

Not trying to be a smart *** but wouldn't a seat or chair or whatever to sit lie on that is camoed up work just as good out in the open or in the weeds etc provided you wore a Ghilley suit? You would then have the mobility without compromising the camo effect?
and not have a blind to move or carry etc? Just askin!!
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed May 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Just noticed this thread.
Here is a blind I have been using for field and pothole hunting up in Canada for the last 10-15 years. I constructed it from 10ft. sections of conduit which I bent in a U shape (3 ft on top, 3 1/2 ft tall). I put two panels together, making a "hinge" out of 1/8" bungee cord that I wrap around the two legs in a figure 8 in two places and tie the ends. The fast grass material is attached to the Aero Outdoors Mesh plastic with cable ties and I usually put a couple of pieces of brush to aid in the camo effect. I made up 10 of these panels which gives me 5 hinged sections, 6 feet long. With that many sections, I can make a 4 sided blind 12 ft long and 3 feet deep. (or smaller if needed) The blind is stabilized by steel spike supports that I welded head to head with a fender washer also welded on. Simply slip the spike up into a couple of the 4 legs in the section, position where you want it, and press down on the corner that has the spike in the leg and it's set. You leave out the spike on the leg on the side front corner for a swinging open door. We use this set up ofter since there are several of us that aren't able to easily get in and out of a layout blind. The camo is quite effective.
Here are a couple of pics where we set up for ducks on the edge of a pothole in the middle of a field and didn't even bother putting a back side on the blind. It blended in quite well. Hopefully you can see the construction on the inside pic.

Click to enlarge
Canada 2013 Purcells 053.1.jpg

Canada 2013 Purcells 061.1.jpg

Conduit Panel blind.jpg
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed May 28, 2014 3:39 pm

FIRST CLASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu May 29, 2014 3:03 pm

Here's another shot of a hunt last year with 5 guys out of the blind. We used my panels on the front and another fella's on the back. He improvised on my design by making his panels individual and making a complete rectangle out of the conduit and made his spikes (2.5 ft steel rods) that are attached on each side of the panel thru eye bolts that he hammers into the ground. Only problem is if he keeps hammering after the head of the rod reaches the top eye bolt, he occasionally breaks off that eye bolt. My design is a little more 'fool' proof (if you have fools hunting with you!) He 'over-thunk' it!

Click to enlarge
Canada 2013 Purcells 078.1.jpg
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:46 pm

Put together two more double panel sections for Canada with bent conduit, aerooutdoors mesh and fast grass and set them in the Canada trailer where the other 5 sections ride. Starting to load the trailer, 3 months early, to keep the excitement up. After 30 years, I'm still like a kid anticipating Disneyworld when it comes to preparation for the annual Saskatchewan trip!!

click to enlarge
PICT3106.1.jpg
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr43 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:36 am

I've used 2 pieces of aluminum conduit (painted) with camo cerex material zip tied to each pole. Unroll it stick it in the mud. One in the front one in the back. The back is taller. The front is put in straight up. I lean the back over top lean too style. I grab some some small brush for in the front. Grass works also. Just have to watch how much weight you put on the material or it sags. Sit on a folding stool and hunker down. Killed a lot of birds this way. When I use it I throw in my sled with decoys and what not. Even works in low flooded brush and marshes. On water with brush behind me and overhead cover, I just use the front. It's simple and effective no piece parts to put together.
wtrfwlr43
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:42 pm

With sip ties and brush from the surrounding area I've built some really nice little blinds. I use the word blind loosely because all they were was a little place to hide one man and a dog. I like to make a wind break out of bundles of grass, sticks, reeds, whatever is around and easy to get. Careful...some places will not allow you to use local vegetation while others encourage it. Check local regs.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:41 pm

wtrfwlr43 wrote:I've used 2 pieces of aluminum conduit (painted) with camo cerex material zip tied to each pole. Unroll it stick it in the mud. One in the front one in the back. The back is taller. The front is put in straight up. I lean the back over top lean too style. I grab some some small brush for in the front. Grass works also. Just have to watch how much weight you put on the material or it sags. Sit on a folding stool and hunker down. Killed a lot of birds this way. When I use it I throw in my sled with decoys and what not. Even works in low flooded brush and marshes. On water with brush behind me and overhead cover, I just use the front. It's simple and effective no piece parts to put together.

Wtrfwlr43,
I've also used this style of portable blind (I actually use 1" wooden dowels 6 feet tall) and I drill a hole near the top of each dowel rod that will accommodate a 5/16 " fiberglass rod that helps support the camo material. I simply run the rod thru the holes after I unroll the blind and it "stiffens" up the blind. My design consist of a tennis net with 6 dowels attached (3 across the front, back right, back left, and last at front left) and the camo material zip tied to the net. I only run/support the front and back with the fiberglass rods.

I get the rods free, but they sell them online at a reasonable price (3.75 for a 6 foot piece).
http://stores.countryent.net/3-16-thru-5-16-fiberglass-rod/
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby redbeard44 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:07 pm

I don't know how many people you're going with (I usually hunt with just me and my brother...) or how you haul your gear but this all breaks down into 8 3'x3' sections (stacked flat it's about 1ft tall).. It's just 1" pvc pipe and welded wire fencing... If you hunt by yourself, depending on where you get to setup, you're better off buying a layout that's on sale. Or build something in the field.
Attachments
blind5.jpg
blind4.jpg
blind3.jpg
blind2.jpg
blind1.jpg
Last edited by redbeard44 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
redbeard44
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:19 pm

Attached are pictures of what we use. They work for field hunting and on the edge of water bodies.

layout 1-9-09.jpg
On the river bank with a snow cover.

20131018_123635.jpg
On a pothole for ducks.
20131018_123635.jpg (69.43 KiB) Viewed 355 times

2013-10-09_12.00.00.jpg
On a big water point for geese.
2013-10-09_12.00.00.jpg (50.36 KiB) Viewed 355 times

2013-09-07_08.56.45.jpg
2 layouts and a dog blind in the early season.

2012-08-16 10.36.20.jpg
Layouts in Barley in August.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:37 pm

redbeard44 wrote:I don't know how many people you're going with or how you haul your gear but this all breaks down into 8 3'x3' sections (stacked flat it's about 1ft tall).. It's just 1" pvc pipe and welded wire fencing... If you hunt buy yourself, depending on where you get to setup, you're better off buying a layout that's on sale. Or build something in the field.

Thats nice redbeard :thumbsup: Mind giving the specifics?
Boocephus
hunter

Previous

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting