Private Swamp Problems

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Private Swamp Problems

Postby Duckbling12 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:34 am

I'm looking for recommendations on the removal of beavers... I know, I know, It's not an easy task.
I have a swamp that is about fifteen acres that is beaver caused, but goes dry during the summer.... well every summer but this one and I am continuously going in there busting dams. We went in there and bulldozed open areas because before the beavri got in there we had deer hunted it.. now that the beavers dammed it up we have duck hunted it with awesome results due to the pin oak acorns, but now the trees have died due to the beavers and we planted millet and sourgham in there for the ducks... I just can't keep the pesky things out after staying out all night and killing them in the afternoons, running traps, you name it... they just keep coming back. We want to eventually build a box to control water levels, but unitl Mr. Orange tooth gets out we are hesitant to...
Duckbling12
hunter

Re: Private Swamp Problems

Postby Peacore » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:23 pm

Call the Vermont Dept of Fish and Wildlife for a solution.
They have develpoped a system to control the water level with a baffle that the beaver can't figure out.

Ask for the Deputy Commisioner, she has worked on the projects to install these baffles.

It won't get rid ofthe beavers but you can keep the water level down where it may not be a problem.

Their web site will get you to the right person. Just ask for info on beaver baffles.
Peacore
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:23 am

a 12 pack, lawn chair, a .22 and a pack of grape big league chew on a fri evening. Repeat the following week.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:38 am

Trapping is another option we've used in some of the swamps on our hunting lease. The vermin have taken several areas of seasonally flooded bottoms and virtually turned it into a 150 acre lake, cutting off our access to the back side of the farm for deer hunting. Before the trees died we called a local trapper and he took care of 95% of the problem. Between trapping some, shooting some and dynamite stuffed into their HUGE lodges they are no longer a problem...at least in that partuicular area.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby adv sask » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:31 pm

Wait until winter and freeze up, blow the damn and the lodge. Or there is always the sit and shoot em method already mentioned to solve the problem.
adv sask
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:56 pm

Peacore wrote:Call the Vermont Dept of Fish and Wildlife for a solution.
They have develpoped a system to control the water level with a baffle that the beaver can't figure out.

Ask for the Deputy Commisioner, she has worked on the projects to install these baffles.

It won't get rid ofthe beavers but you can keep the water level down where it may not be a problem.

Their web site will get you to the right person. Just ask for info on beaver baffles.

x2, did this on our land years ago, worked like a charm...
.....but now this Missouri's drought conditions it doesnt matter anyhow.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby VAgooser » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:16 pm

get yourself some big conibear traps, trap em. sell the furs. Once you trap all the beavers around, in about 3 years theyll be back, and you can sell more furs!
it really is a positive thing when you think about it lol :thumbsup:
VAgooser
hunter

Postby duckswbriley13 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Try a Clemson Beaver Pond Leveler. We have one in our swamp and it works great. It's cheaply made and easily installed. The link is below.

http://www.clemson.edu/psapublishing/pages/afw/afw1.pdf
duckswbriley13
Newb

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting