Man Made Duck Paridise!!!

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Re: Man Made Duck Paridise!!!

Postby finalflighttx » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:10 pm

I have a close relationship with our game wrden in our neck of the woods he has said that one way in and out is OK as well but it makes it near impossible to hunt it for the fist year. I have an exaple of some guys that were baiting on a private lake just this year and even let the bait set for the amount of time required but the bait still being in the water they were fined and had their guns removed until the fines are repaid. Just goes to show that if there is a fine line between whats right and whats wrong its best to just leave it alone or sinch the safest way to hunt with bait. This is why I am not going to hunt over bait until it has matured after the second season.
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:11 pm

finalflighttx wrote:I have a close relationship with our game wrden in our neck of the woods he has said that one way in and out is OK as well but it makes it near impossible to hunt it for the fist year. I have an exaple of some guys that were baiting on a private lake just this year and even let the bait set for the amount of time required but the bait still being in the water they were fined and had their guns removed until the fines are repaid. Just goes to show that if there is a fine line between whats right and whats wrong its best to just leave it alone or sinch the safest way to hunt with bait. This is why I am not going to hunt over bait until it has matured after the second season.

There is no "required time to let bait set"! Baiting is baiting and planting is planting... READ THE WATERFOWL DIGEST!

BAITED AREA: Any area where salt, grain or other feed has been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed or scattered, if that salt, grain or other feed could serve as a lure or attraction for migratory game birds to, on or over areas where hunters are attempting to take them. Any such areas will remain a baited area for 10 days following the complete removal of all such salt, grain or other feed.
BAITING: The direct or indirect placing, exposing, depositing, distributing or scattering of salt, grain or other feed that could serve as a lure or attraction for migratory game birds to, on or over areas where hunters are attempting to take them.
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:11 pm

Any such areas will remain a baited area for 10 days following the complete removal of all such salt, grain or other feed.

So this means that the bait must be gone in order to hunt the property and after "10 days" you can hunt it right!? hmmm :huh: not to sure if I made myself clear, they let the area sit for 2 weeks and still got nailed because after examining the birds there was a type of non-native millet in the birds gullet. They were asked if the area had been baited and being honest they said yes and the rest is history. Just wanted to share this as this isnt the first story like this ive heard :thumbsup: . Oh yea and they used a floating board stlye feeder that had no grain on it when they were checked and still got busted maybe they arent telling me the whole truth what do you think. I just spoke with them about this sittuation yesterday and wanted to get the full scoop on what happened and the story changed again so just forget I said anything! :fingerhead:. I have a simple yet fail safe solution to the problem.... I will just have our game warden come hunt with me! :lol3:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks for the attachment though for real I even had it screwed up! Good Stuff MOJO!!!! :bow:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:22 pm

finalflighttx wrote:Thanks for the attachment though for real I even had it screwed up! Good Stuff MOJO!!!! :bow:

I hear ya brotha!! I am a firm believer that as waterfowl hunters, we all need to know our rights and exercise those rights to the fullest extent!

Directly feeding the ducks any loose seed is baiting, but if the birds have to pick the seed off a plant it's not... The birds have to work for it!

How's that new timber hole treating you?? Slow hunting this morning for my crew, we ended up 3 birds shy of our 5 man limit but we killed 9 species...
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Dude we are in a bit of a crisis situation right now we have some land owners next door that are building a HUGE pond....no a LAKE about 15 acres worth and guess what?..... We will loose the natural spring for a long time after they build it we have like no flowing water right now we were able to bust up some woodies and a few greenwing in there but stuff isnt looking good for anthing right now. If we loose water flow we loose it all and we wont be able to controle the water level at all. It is a very disapointing situation but we are trying to work with them on rerouting some of the spillway flow from the lake but they arent being very cooperative! :mad: We will just have to find a way around this and to make things even worse I lost my grandad this past week and now we may loose some of the property that we had hoped to use for planting that he had owened. I am just about ready to just hang it all up. On a good note we are hunting on lake X here in Wood County :tongue: and just this morning I got to wittness one of the greatest things on public water I have ever seen I got to wittness along with a buddy roughly a thousand yes I said a thousand mallards moving in from the north I have no idea were they came from but they landed just across the cove from us and gave us a serinade of feeding chatter and hail calls somenthing that my buddy had never heard before as this was only like his 4th or 5th duck hunt! Needless to say I think he might be a duck hunter for life! :lol3:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Sounds perfect!! They are building a rest pond for you! Now you just gotta get a water well drilled on your property and you'll reap the benefits of their big pond. 15 acres of solid water is hard to hunt, birds will more than likely roost on it and then move to your place if you have the groceries (food). I know you rather not pay the money to get a well put in, but it sounds like to me that your hunting could be twice as good after they finish their pond!

Best of luck!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:21 pm

Your right on target with what I have thought use their pond to our advantage I am waiting to hear from my dad on how much its going to cost for a water well to be drilled. He is just wanting to wait em out I say to heck with it and just get it done but this seems to no longer be my party if ya know what I mean it's all kinda of a joke to folks until they start seeing the real potential of an awesome duck hole! and like normal once the biggest part of the work is done I now have more help than I ever needed and it all comes around about duck season :huh: HMMMM??? wonder why that could be??? :lol3: JUst not real sure if I want to keep sinking all of my time and dough into something that I ultimatly wont be able to controle might as well just hunt Lake Fork like I have in years past and just let them see what I mean pick up the peices and start over with a better understanding from those who just wont listen to me.... What do you think?
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:24 am

A well should cost between 4-6k depending on what depth they have to drill. When you say "not in your control", do you mean family members hunting it and not letting it rest? That's a tough one! I'd keep pushing to make it a duck mecca, bc private is almost always better then public land.
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:59 pm

:thumbsup: RIGHT ON!!! That is exacty what I'm dealing with I have a few folks in the family who are on my great uncle's side (THE LAND OWNER) that have never had an intrest in the land or even hunting it for that matter they always said that Texas could never be as good of a limit producer as Arkansas or Louisiana (WERE THEY HUNT) well..... that is a load if ya know what I mean. Not taking anything away from ARK or LA because they have made their stamp on waterfowl hunters for forever it seems like but I still had this vision of this project comming to life and now they have convinced daddy that it should be their ship to sail and leave me out of it even though it has been from the labor off of my back that has got it to were it is today! :mad: Any way off of that subject I am really just thinking of letting them ruin it this year and maybe even the next and if it looks like it can be rebuilt then it will be so! You can lead a thirsty horse to water but you cant make it drink!!! As waterfowl hunters who are in it for the birds as well as the sport I know that you and everyone else on this forum knows that the only way to guarentee limits time and time again is to protect your investment by using harvest management, food plots in the off season, and hunting it right to ensure that the area will continue to draw and hold birds but again some folks just want to shoot till their gone I just don't know. :no: :fingerhead:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby Ztkirkpatric » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:44 pm

Do ducks already use the property?

There are reasons why particular places in AR and LA are always hot with thousands of ducks... For the past thousand years their ancestors have been wintering in the same place...
I know it sounds strange but I live in arkansas and have hunted Arkansas my whole life, there are areas that are productive and others that simply are not... Just because you have a rice field or flooded hardwoods doesn't mean you will kill ducks... If you look at a precision leveled rice field sometimes one side of it is more productive than the other, maybe that side of it was a slough at one point in time.

Bayou Meto is what, 30,000 acres? Certain areas of it are almost always productive because they have always flooded... Not saying they won't use what is available but instinct tells these ducks to return to the same place their ancestors have used.... Few years ago a college out radio transmitters (GPS) on some mallards... It wasn't uncommon for them to return to the same fields every year.... They can move hundreds of miles in a day but there are particular areas that they know to use.
Ztkirkpatric
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Right I hear ya on the location issues and yes we have had roughly 50 to a 100 birds in the backwater of this place some seasons more some less for as long as I can remember. It's always been about were the birds wanna be. We have watched (thanks to my buddies hook up) on an over hunted lake this year more ducks than I can honestly say that I've ever seen land in one spot every morning since after the break here in east Texas. Even if they get spooked up wich always happens as they are divers that land in a boat lane in the middle of some timber; they will always come back there every morning just because Im assuming its were they know and want to be and were they feel safe it also may help that it's boats jumpin em and not steel shot! :thumbsup: but on my dream spot they are coming this next week to survey it I just came back from catchin a couple Crappie and checkin on the roost only to be met by a realtor looking it over with some other guy havent talked it up with the family but I think that it may be selling with another joining acerage that was for sell next to us :sad: . Whatever the situation we will keep doing what we love to do and thats chase these crazy birds at all cost for a couple months outa the year and dream about next year in the off season thanks for all of the support for this post and to all of the opinions shared with me it is really cool to be part of such a brotherhood of duck junkies like myself I am proud to call myself a member of DHC.com! :beer:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Previous

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting