Decoy cart

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Decoy cart

Postby stew870 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:22 am

Just picked up a single jogging stroller for $10 and going to turn it into a decoy cart any ideas or pics from other that have done this
The grass is greener where you water it .
stew870
hunter

Re: Decoy cart

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:04 pm

Hey Stew... how did it work out... Got any pics?
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby stew870 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:17 pm

got busy remodeling the bathroom had to get it done before the season started . gonna work on it during the week I think its going to work out
stew870
hunter

Postby stew870 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:48 pm

[album][/album]
stew870
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Stew... go down to the bottom right belowe the box you type in.... just bwloq savw preview and submit tn to the left a lil...and next to options tab it has a tab that says upload attatchments right next to it. Click on that Then click browse select the picture from your file and then hit attach image. Try that!
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby WTRlabDOG » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:10 pm

I'm one of those hunters that needs to walk up to a mile with my equipment. Over the past few years i've done just that... Well i thought at first a heavy duty garbage can would work. Well I was wrong about that. the mud sticks to the tires and it's shaped funny so it always falls over.

Well after hunting in some locations the past few years where water is up to my hip i knew it was time to get serious about some type of cart.

I bought a deer cart clogged any open holes with expandable foam. Added a life seat for floatation. I put a 50 gallon bin on top to with all of my equipment that can't get wet. I.E. blind bag, mojo, and heater. I then am able to put a dog platform, 14 decs and my gun and i;m sure I can nearly double that.

I'll get a picture up asap, but my stuff is in a storage unit... good luck and stay safe
Please check out my website @ http://www.capitol-outdoorsman..com

Follow me on twitter @capitoloutdoors
Follow me on facebook @ capitoloutdoorsman
WTRlabDOG
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 am

stew870 wrote:Just picked up a single jogging stroller for $10 and going to turn it into a decoy cart any ideas or pics from other that have done this

any pics?
MacAttack
hunter

Postby redbeard44 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm

This was something I made this year. I call it the Shermann lol. It's got a 2x3 frame with plywood topper and sides. 1in Iron pipe axles, and flat free 15in wheel barrow tires. Heavy, YES lol(the only thing that sucks about it.) Sturdy, yes. Haul alot, yes. Almost 4ft wide and 6ft long, built to roll in and out of a Ford Excursion. I really only have this one pic but it might kind of give you an idea of what it looks like. Im not sure what or where you guys hunt but the conservation area I go to has gravel service roads to roll this down and the majority of the fields are relatively flat and cut. Definately not a 4x4 though lol. Also this ONLY comes out when there are atleast two of us going...
Attachments
Pic_1006_005.jpg
Excuse all the crap inside of this, it's the parts for the portable blind, which might i add all fits inside this cart...
redbeard44
hunter

Postby E MAN » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:41 pm

i have a double jogging stroller that works awesome. cut off the unnecessary fabric and shored it up with a little twine. but my best cart didn't cost a dime.... one of those pull behind kid carriers for a bike. has the jogging kit, which is a single wheel in the front. a little longer than the double jogger but has 3 big wheels that are skinny. pushed 3 dozen dekes, 3 guns, 2 robos, and 2 bags like nothing for a mile and a half on even soil. never having a bag on my back again.\
E MAN
hunter

Postby Freezer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:18 pm

I've been doing this for years, they work great. Because of the third wheel there no balancing needed. Do not remove the unbrella bar, put a strap with an adjustable buckel on it the other side goes to the handle bar. It makes a great way to add more gear to the top of your load. I make a half dozen every year and have the Rangers at the refuge give them to ol boys who are having a hard time getting around.

I remove all the cloth in the cart. If there's no metal below the handle bar leave the heavy cloth strap in tact. I used both nylon netting you can buy at the frabric/craft store and outdoor plastic screen,the heavy duty stuff you find in the garden section, I get mine used. I attach the frabric to the frame using zip ties starting at the center folding joint, up to the handle bar then back down to the other joint. Attach the frabric to the foot rest, fold it inside to square the inside, and attach the fabric to the lower section. One inch straps and buckles can be used on the outside as gun carry straps. Ideally you should be able to carry two bags of decoys, a blind bag, shotgun and be able to push it with one hand. When you get to your spot fold it in half and hide it in the brush to discourage theaves. The double wide strollers hold a bit more but also take up valuable space when stored or transported. The advantage of the double is a decoy sled can be fit into it. Slide the sled in and secure the front of it to the handle bar with a rachet strap.
Freezer
hunter

Postby stew870 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm

Freezer wrote:I've been doing this for years, they work great. Because of the third wheel there no balancing needed. Do not remove the unbrella bar, put a strap with an adjustable buckel on it the other side goes to the handle bar. It makes a great way to add more gear to the top of your load. I make a half dozen every year and have the Rangers at the refuge give them to ol boys who are having a hard time getting around.

I remove all the cloth in the cart. If there's no metal below the handle bar leave the heavy cloth strap in tact. I used both nylon netting you can buy at the frabric/craft store and outdoor plastic screen,the heavy duty stuff you find in the garden section, I get mine used. I attach the frabric to the frame using zip ties starting at the center folding joint, up to the handle bar then back down to the other joint. Attach the frabric to the foot rest, fold it inside to square the inside, and attach the fabric to the lower section. One inch straps and buckles can be used on the outside as gun carry straps. Ideally you should be able to carry two bags of decoys, a blind bag, shotgun and be able to push it with one hand. When you get to your spot fold it in half and hide it in the brush to discourage theaves. The double wide strollers hold a bit more but also take up valuable space when stored or transported. The advantage of the double is a decoy sled can be fit into it. Slide the sled in and secure the front of it to the handle bar with a rachet strap.

I love mine I wish I could post a pic but the file is to big
stew870
hunter

Postby sloth » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 pm

I hope someone who has made one out of a jogger on here can post a pic so i can see what in the world yall are talking about. i own a jogger that my son is too big for. i would like to see how the end product looks so i can figure out the rest. not trying to be an @$$ but some of the derections look like a diffrent language to me :help: . i just cant picture what yall are saying. i like the wood cart idea but it is too wide for were i hunt, a jogger would be better. Pease post a pic of a jogger that is converted to a decoy cart.
DU Member
YAT-YAS
USMC '04-'12
sloth
hunter

Postby E MAN » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:55 pm

here are my two. one on left is the double jogger. right one is the bike cart with the jogging wheel attachment. i use rig em right bags with them. their small bag is perfect for the smaller cart. 2 dozen.
their big biggest bag is perfect for the other. it will hold 4 dozen and pushes with ease.
Attachments
P82A0011.jpg
E MAN
hunter

Postby Freezer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:13 pm

My jogger stroller is similar to his but the frabric is attached to the sides top and bottom. This protects the decoy bag from the wheels and I can stuff the shotgun in the side. also smaller thing can be laid in it wotiout worry. I'll try to post pics later. Look at Photo Bucket Freezer 75. You'll see a couple other carts I've made. One tows, pushes, floats and becomes a covered dog blind in the marsh.
Freezer
hunter

Postby loon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:23 am

Hey freezer I would love to see some of your carts. My new spot is about 5 to 600 yards over gravel bars and shallow water. Too shallow for any sort of a boat but a good decoy card would probably be perfect. Where do you guys find all these carts craigslist?
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby loon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:34 am

I found a really good lawn cart from Northern tool and equipment catalog. It's 4' x 30" and can hold 400 pounds It has full-size bike tires on it. I'm not great with the computer so I can't post a picture but it looks like a slightly smaller version of the Sherman tank homemade cart above.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting