Goose floater touch up

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Goose floater touch up

Postby suicidal_scaup » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:08 am

I have a half dozen Herters floating goose decoys and the paint has been TERRIBLE from the beginning. The plastic must not have been properly cleaned before being painted so the paint has been flaking off in large pieces (1" squares and bigger). I am wondering what color paint people use to touch up the main body color of a goose decoy? I am not looking for them to be perfect, just don't want the black shiny plastic to be showing and the paint to blend in. Maybe I need to repaint the entire decoy, as well as put flocking on the tail and head...

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Re: Goose floater touch up

Postby lovedd » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Go to a hobby store and look at the acrilic paints (flat) you should be able to find a color or 2 that will work. hit the bald spots with rubbing alchol let dry and paint away. It usauly takes 2 coats for the paint to take on full color.Use a matte clear coat when done helps protect the paint. I mix and match paint colors to get them just right
If I'm not here check OUTSIDE
lovedd
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:22 am

I have done some duck reprints so the concept is fairly familiar. I was hoping someone had a magical color that was able to be purchased so I didn't have to try my hand at mixing colors. I've tried that before and by the time I get done I have a gallon of paint due to it not being quite right. If anyone has that magical mixture, PLEASE HELP! :help:
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby SpoonySniper54 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Camo Spray paint from rustoleum or krylon...comes in tan, brown and black and dries ultra flat...I just did some floaters as total redo and they turned out great...pm me for pics
SpoonySniper54
Newb

Postby APOSTLE » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:06 am

SpoonySniper54 wrote:Camo Spray paint from rustoleum or krylon...comes in tan, brown and black and dries ultra flat...I just did some floaters as total redo and they turned out great...pm me for pics

This!!

Also to get more detail spray the tan against the feather grain then come back with the brown from the head to the tail making sure your spraying at a flat angle close to parallel with the back I the decoy. Get heavier as you get closer to the tail and then blend in with the black. Also paint the white on the tails first because you don't want white splatter over your dark parts.
APOSTLE
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Sweet. Thanks guys looks like I will be picking up some spray paint before this weekends opener in MN. I wonder if I should try to use a brillow pad or steel wool first to make sure I got all of the bad paint off first... Anyway thanks again for the advice.
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:12 am

Here is a link to a thread on the forum here where they show what paint you need and the steps on how to repaint your goose decoys. Good info. Going to do it myself when i get the time.

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=143408
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting