Home-made ice-eater

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Home-made ice-eater

Postby aunt betty » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Still working on it. The generator is really old but works. Just got it out of the shed today and have been messin' with it.
Will take my creation to some water and test it as soon as I get a stand built. I tested it with household current in my yard pond and it seemed to really move a lot of water. The video is crude but you get the idea of where I'm going with it.
It's an old trolling motor. The pole got bent so I converted the motor into this "thing".
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Re: Home-made ice-eater

Postby YouMadBra » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:39 pm

I have been wanting to do something like this for a while. I have an old trolling motor. Did you make the circle brace? If you could give some instruction how you did this, it would be great!!!
TD Outfitters
Central, NE

Why cant it be Waterfowl season all year long?!!
YouMadBra
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:00 pm

Looks good Betty
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby carolinagreenhead » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Aint that a trick. Very nice. Keep us updated on how it works in the water.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:05 pm

YouMadBra wrote:I have been wanting to do something like this for a while. I have an old trolling motor. Did you make the circle brace? If you could give some instruction how you did this, it would be great!!!
No on the circle brace.
I have it simply pinned in with two sets of tri-prongs for lack of better terms.
It was a bit tricky getting it centered but once I got it that way all I need to do is loosen one prong on each set to get the motor out. Shouldn't have to take it apart unless a branch or something gets really wedged in. (which I doubt)

The pipe is ten-inch pvc. (expensive)
The bolts are 1/2" carriage bolts that are as long as I could get.
That's why it looks like frankenthing. lol

The motor I had was damaged. It has a 3" diameter. There's a piece of 3" PVC that I pipe pushed onto the front of the motor to give the second set of bolts something stable to hit. It was kind of an AHA moment when I discovered this...Try to get a 3" diameter motor.

The shaft was bent so I tore off the top and then unscrewed the shaft.
The motor I have has three speeds. There's a red, black, and two other color wires. The other two are medium and low speed.
Took some JB Weld and filled up the hole where the shaft was threaded in so water can't get in and ruin the motors windings etc.
For the cord I'm using a 100' outdoor extension cord. Soldered the ends, then shrink-wrapped, and then wrapped with the outdoor type of electrical tape. Good ta go.

It's a fairly straight-forward project. Will test it down in Arkansas in about 10 days. Will post results.

For the stand I'm getting some fence-posts like this. I'll tie-strap them bolt heads onto the posts. Simple is good with less stuff to break.
002720308.jpg
002720308.jpg (6.65 KiB) Viewed 3138 times
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:15 pm

I started the original thread before this forum was setup.
There's some picture of the beginning of the project in this thread.
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=189877&hilit=ice+eater
aunt betty

Postby RNTduckhntr12 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:00 am

I have another idea for everyone that wants to make their own. My buddies and I hunt a few pits out in flooded rice in middle MO, so as you can imagine, late december and in january, we deal with ice. Needed several "ice eaters" so heres what the crew did to save money. Went and bought several Trolling Motors. (cheap ones are fine) Made frames for them to be staked under water and for the fan to face upward. then ran the cord under conduit(you can run cords anyway you choose) and had batteries in the blind. So when there was ice we would hook up the batteries and let those run. Sometimes you have to do it overnight and if the ice is thin, you can get there a little early and run it. ALSO. When dealing with high migrating birds, they make great use for churning up the water for movement. but only do that if theyre high.
Whack em and stack em
Whack em' and Stack em'!!
RNTduckhntr12
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:59 pm

I finally came up with this. The cord plugs into a switched 12-volt outlet on board the boat/blind.
Attachments
1377993522686.jpg
aunt betty

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:38 am

has anyone ever used a trash pump to move the water? Ive been toying around with the idea of trying one out this year. Harbor Freight has some that are gas powered. I like the fact that i dont need to buy a generator, AND build the ice eater. im thinking just buy the pump and hoses, and fashion up a way to pump the water upwards onto the ice. Thoughts??
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:03 am

Huntfish12 wrote:has anyone ever used a trash pump to move the water? Ive been toying around with the idea of trying one out this year. Harbor Freight has some that are gas powered. I like the fact that i dont need to buy a generator, AND build the ice eater. im thinking just buy the pump and hoses, and fashion up a way to pump the water upwards onto the ice. Thoughts??

I am way ahead of you.
Attachments
1378213287335.jpg
aunt betty

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:42 am

what size is that, 2"? hows it work? have u tried it? details...
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 am

Havent done anything other than put oil in it and run it for a few minutes.
I plan to try and mooch some old fire hoses from somewheren
A nozzle is important for the concept to work. Basically make a fountain
I think for ice it would be freakin awesome.

Imagine chopping a hole in shallow area for the pickup.
Stomp around and muddy it while the pump runs. Muddy water on ice...whalla.

I dont take the transfer pump yet. Camping and worried it would get stolen.
aunt betty

Postby WF1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:28 pm

With regards to the trash pump, it is an ice eating machine. I had 3" of ice on a pond, set the trash pump on the side with no discharge hose and just let it run, I was down to open water in about 15 minutes where it was discharging at, just move the discharge area and open up the next section. The section it will open is a good 10-15 ft wide and with as much water as those put out it was going all the way across the pond (about a 1.5 acre pond).

I'm sure there is a way to fashion the dishcarge hose to go under the ice and shoot up, but we've had unseasonably warm winters recently have haven't had a need to do it all that often.

They are much louder than generators, and you have to have it pretty close to the water as much suction hoses are only good out to about 15 ft. Could probably fashion a sound dampening box like people do for generators.

You could probably get away with a 1" pump to be honest, 2" is good and 3" put out significantly more water than a 2" pump though which may or may not be what you're looking for. In my experience 2" pump is sufficient to opening up a hole in short order.
WF1
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:35 pm

I plan on getting a 2" pump just for piece of mind. Harbor Freight has them for a decent price.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:27 pm

Got mine for...f r e e.
Brand new. What a find!
Its a two inch with 5hp engine.
Get me some 2" pvc and do it. Two ten foot sections for discharge and a short one for intake.
aunt betty

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:13 am

not bad at all. i keep an eye on craigslist but you know how that goes.
Even if you dont make some type of spraying fountain, its gotta do just as well as an actual ice eater at making turbulance in the water. i think i would actully prefer to have it that way instead of a spray .
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:44 am

Huntfish12 wrote:not bad at all. i keep an eye on craigslist but you know how that goes.
Even if you dont make some type of spraying fountain, its gotta do just as well as an actual ice eater at making turbulance in the water. i think i would actully prefer to have it that way instead of a spray .

The idea is to increase the velocity of the water, not make a pretty fountain.
Was thinking of something simple like a bell reducer connected to a 2" pvc pipe.
Bush it down to 1". Something like that. 1.25" maybe.
aunt betty

Postby WF1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:06 am

Do you really think you need even more water pressure from a trash pump to get water turbulence? My 2" pump (which is an old junker I got for $20) puts out way more water than any ice eater can move. I pumped out a decent sized pit blind that was flooded this year in about 5 minutes a week ago.

PVC is def a good alternative to buying the exensive hoses. I have used it to extend my hose when pumping ponds.
WF1
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:48 pm

Dont know. I figure fast water melts quicker. Its an idea... might have to test it and see.
Roh kay raggie?
What make this concept appealing is no need for electrical.
Five horseower will clear a hole...obviously.
Getting it done quick and then switching to the electric one...
Now that sounds like a plan.
aunt betty

Postby ksgoosekillr » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:10 pm

so are you guys spraying water out across the ice or using the pressure to increase an existing hole or spraying from under the ice to open a hole?
ksgoosekillr
hunter

Postby WF1 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:36 am

I've only used it to spray across the ice to open up a hole. I'm sure something can be rigged to pump it from below the ice in an open hole but the only pond over used this on was too deep to run the hose out to the open water.

One of the best applications is when there is just a thin layer of ice so you can't get it out of your hole in sheets and it just breaks up and looks unnatural. The water moved will open up a huge hole and not have little pieces of ice in the hole making it look like birds actually kept it open all night.
WF1
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting