Diver Decoys

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Diver Decoys

Postby BBK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Had some flambeau storm fronts that lost their paint after a couple years of pothole hunting. So instead of throwing them away I figured why not try and make a diver decoy out of them. Well, after a few minutes with the spray paint this is what I came up with. I still need to clear coat them, but this is what I came up with. I didnt have any flat white, so I used semi-gloss. I dont think it shines to bad, I had it out in the sun today and from a distance it doesnt shine nearly as much as I thought it would. I know it looks like crap, but just tell me I did a good job so I feel better :lol3:

BBK
hunter

Re: Diver Decoys

Postby coach63 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:22 pm

They look pretty good. Id definitely put a matte clear coat on them. White auto primer works great for a flat white. I prime the whole thing white then go over it with the flat black. Or when i did my redheads, i used grey primer.
coach63
hunter

Postby coach63 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:27 pm

Here is a pic of the redheads i did from some old mallard flambeaus
Attachments
Duck2012-09-03_14-15-25_383-1.jpg
Grey auto primer rusty red auto primer and flat black. All from spray cans.
coach63
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:39 pm

coach63 wrote:Here is a pic of the redheads i did from some old mallard flambeaus

What color red did you use for the head?
BBK
hunter

Postby coach63 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Here is a start to finish. I sand blasted them first.
Attachments
Redo.jpg
coach63
hunter

Postby coach63 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Rust red auto primer for the head. The color is pretty close.
coach63
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:52 pm

Here are a few I repainted with acrylics
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:41 pm

coach63 wrote:Rust red auto primer for the head. The color is pretty close.

I absolutely love the look of those redheads, and would love to make some for myself. But the only problem is.... I have never seen a redhead where I hunt. All we get are bufflehead/goldeneye/bluebill on the river, and ringnecks in the marsh. I figured if I could just paint some black and white decoys that look close to a diver, they should swing over them close enough to shoot at. They like to buzz the very edge of mallard decoys 35-40 yards out, and damn they are hard enough to hit up close let alone 40 yards out crossing at mach 2. I figure if I can get some black and white out when the ringnecks arrive, they might swing in a bit closer. After all, after they swing our mallard decoys they go right to the nearest group of coots and plop right in. With the downfall of migrating mallards the last few years, the only thing to hunt before we freeze out are the divers.

I like what you did with those cans. They sure do look better than what I made :thumbsup:
BBK
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:32 pm

What ccounty do you hunt BBK? Everytime I see blue bills, I see redheads. I didn't see a whole lot of them, but I did see a few. They moved like the eiders did and went straight through the river withour even looking at my spread. They tend to pick a spot as I figure, and land there regardless of their surroundings. In fact there are some red heads at the ponds by my house right now. If you shoot one this year get it mounted and I'll do the same, even though I got a whole list of mounts for this year lol
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:39 pm

wanapasaki wrote:Here are a few I repainted with acrylics

A little tip maybe... I repainted all my mallard heads with acrylic metalic christmas green. This adds a shiney head. I like the way mine turned out. Yours look good to!
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:45 pm

wanapasaki wrote:What ccounty do you hunt BBK? Everytime I see blue bills, I see redheads. I didn't see a whole lot of them, but I did see a few. They moved like the eiders did and went straight through the river withour even looking at my spread. They tend to pick a spot as I figure, and land there regardless of their surroundings. In fact there are some red heads at the ponds by my house right now. If you shoot one this year get it mounted and I'll do the same, even though I got a whole list of mounts for this year lol

I live in Iowa. I hunt the Mississippi River, a couple smaller rivers, and a few marshes along the Miss. The redheads scoot down the Missouri (other side of the state). I guess I have seen a redhead before, I saw one (hen) in a flock of cans that landed on the outside of our decoys during closed canvasback season. I didnt feel right shooting into the flock to get the hen, too big of a chance of hitting a can and getting a big ticket.
BBK
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:19 am

Shoot 'em up.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting