vortex

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

vortex

Postby draw2brother » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:30 pm

anybody got any plans on builing a spinning vortex or can explain to me what i need . I know the motor is a wiper motor from a automobile thats about it. How do you connect the rods etc.
draw2brother
hunter

Re: vortex

Postby BillMurray » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:21 am

Why would it be a wiper motor? I've thought about making one myself. It should be pretty simple
BillMurray
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:23 pm

Have a little Y piece coming off the motor. Each side being square. Then have your poles go over the squares. Gravity and physics does the rest
Rhock19
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:03 pm

Draw 2,
Don't have any plans as I just built my vortex from scratch. I had a guy that had built one prior that I questioned thru email and that helped. Only thing I had to buy was the two wind driven spinners (Lucky Duck) that I installed coat hangars into to hang on the rods to the motor.
Here are the pictures I took that should help you get started and get you thru it. If you run into a snag, pm me and we'll see if I can help:

http://s766.photobucket.com/user/tenfingergrip/library/Daffy%20and%20Friend%20%20Homemade%20Vortex
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby jdr » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:49 pm

I also got the itch to build a vortex and the end of last season. Finally got around to building it, or at least starting on it. I got the wiper motor from MonsterGuts.com at a price of $20. I had some 5" angle alum that I cut down and mounted the motor on. I then got some aluminum c channel to mount the poles that spin too. I am powering it all from a 12V, 17AH battery that I pulled out of some APC UPS's from work. Only thing left is to mount a pole to stick in the ground, the wind ducks, and the remote control portion. I spent about 2 hours on this and will probably have $100-$120 in it by the time I buy the remote control components, relay, and pwm for the motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ea4L1CHTQA&feature=youtu.be
jdr
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting