Best material for river blind

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Best material for river blind

Postby Mr.Blonde » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Getting ready to brush up some blinds on the river. What is best tree type to use? I know some brown fast then others. What does everybody else use?
“Heaven to me is endless cypress swamps and hardwood forests loaded with game and ducks and not a game warden around!” -Phil Robertson
Mr.Blonde
hunter

Re: Best material for river blind

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Are you planting trees or looking for trees to use as blind cover? I don't think I understand your question
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Mr.Blonde » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Sorry, Have a blind built and want to brush it up now. Whats best type of coverage so it wont go brown before everything else does?
“Heaven to me is endless cypress swamps and hardwood forests loaded with game and ducks and not a game warden around!” -Phil Robertson
Mr.Blonde
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:29 pm

I usually take a weed wacker out and knock a bunch of reeds and cattails, zip tie together in bunches and lay them acrossed the blind. They will stay green for a month or 2 if you leave the stalks in the water, but if the stalks are on land, they will brown in 2-3 weeks
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Mr.Blonde » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:43 pm

Good idea with keeping base in water. Thought about using some pine but don't know how long they would hold up?
Mr.Blonde
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:03 pm

Pine would hold up for awhile too, you must be hunting high altitudes, lucky!
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby teaves2257 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:06 pm

what ever looks natural in your area. Willows last the longest in my opinion. The leaves dont fall off.
teaves2257
hunter

Postby Quacka » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:14 am

i have always heard that green cut oak limbs were the "go-to", but i think everyone uses some type of evergreen (cedar, cypress etc)
Quacka
hunter

Postby quack.attack.tn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:24 pm

I like Green Cut Oak trees. As long as you get them put on your blind before they turn they will last a long time. Last winter I ended up having to use some evergreen on one of my blinds because the oaks had already lost there leaves. It took a long time for the evergreen to brown which was not a good thing were I was hunting.
quack.attack.tn
hunter

Postby Small Block » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:28 pm

We use river cane and ornamental Christmas trees. Take the limbs off and bend the end so it will hang on your netting or wire which ever you are using. I also watch yard sales when ladies want to get rid of their age old floral decorations. The green vines are the berries. Good luck with it. Pictures if ya can.
Small Block
Small Block
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting