Texas Rigged Decoys

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Texas Rigged Decoys

Postby Cypress_Bend » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:21 am

new here, Ok I am about to make some Texas rigged Decoys for the up coming season. What is the best way to go about attaching it to the decoy? I just need some Idea's.

I was thinking of making a loop at the end of the line and then sticking the loop thru the decoy keel hole, then running the rest of the string and weight thru the loop, so that i can cinch it down, if that makes any since.
Cypress_Bend
hunter

Texas Rigged Decoys

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:30 pm

Most Texas rigs use crimps to attach the mono line to the decoy. Is that what you are asking?
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Re: Texas Rigged Decoys

Postby CutEm214 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:44 pm

If you do it the way I think you're saying, they won't function. Either your loop end or weight would always be at the keel...if I'm understanding you. Below are pics of how I do mine. Crimps to secure the loop end and weight and the entire line "floats" through a swivel clip attached to the keel. This way, when I grab the head of the decoy and lift up, the loop end slides up to the keel and I can grab it or snap on to a carabiner without getting my hands wet.

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0054.jpg
CutEm214
hunter

Texas Rigged Decoys

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Yeah, cutem that is a much better way of explaining. I forgot to mention the swivel.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby addicted2ducks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:51 pm

What size mono line are you using? I tried this last year with 80 or 100lb line and they wrapped around each other the first time I threw them out and it became the biggest cluster I have ever seen. I Cut them all off and put the old wrap around style weights and line on. I thought about trying one last time by using the normal thick black line that I used on the other style weight/decoy system.

Also, I saw that most people that use texas rigs have short lines. Can this be done with lones lines or leaders? The areas I hunt have deeper depths (6ft or deeper)
addicted2ducks
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:54 pm

www.snlcorp.com has precut lines at 4ft long or you can order a coil of 400 lb mono and cut what you want to the lengths you want. Also, egg weights tend to be better than strap weights when texas rigging decoys.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby addicted2ducks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:55 pm

400lbs? O.k i was using a 1/4 of that. Maybe thats what happend. I was using egg sinkers also, not the long wrap around the keel or head kind.
addicted2ducks
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:01 pm

300lb test at the minimum, but 400lb test is better. It doesn't retain memory like the 300 or weed eater line. Make sure you trim you tag ends tight to the crimps, they have a tendency to snag lines and cause trouble. X2 on the egg weights. You can get them online much cheaper than most places.

As far as length is concerned, I suppose the sky is the limit. To make those longer lines more manageable, gather them together and put a loose hitch in them.
CutEm214
hunter

Postby addicted2ducks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:12 pm

ok. Thanks guys. Ill try a dozen or so this weekend. Iv got another month before we can hunt here.

Sorry for the hijack, but One more queston, how do you guys put them in a decoy bag? or Do you? I hunted with a guy that cuta whole in the end out of a bag and fed the lines through the whole. However, he said the bags ripped a lot. I usually hunt big spreads and do not want 4 dzn deeks and lines laying around everywhere in the bottom of the boat to get tripped on and cause more headaches.
addicted2ducks
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:02 pm

Here is the best prices I've found on egg sinkers.

http://www.halessinkersupply.com/servle ... Categories

As far as a decoy bag I actually got a mesh pop up hamper at the grocery store this year for 6 bucks that's working great. I put a bundle of a dozen together and can drop them right in. It fits a dozen standard mallards and a dozen teal with no problem (which is ok because that is all I have tx rigged).

Kind of like this but the one I got has a single shoulder strap not handles.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:22 pm

addicted2ducks wrote:ok. Thanks guys. Ill try a dozen or so this weekend. Iv got another month before we can hunt here.

Sorry for the hijack, but One more queston, how do you guys put them in a decoy bag? or Do you? I hunted with a guy that cuta whole in the end out of a bag and fed the lines through the whole. However, he said the bags ripped a lot. I usually hunt big spreads and do not want 4 dzn deeks and lines laying around everywhere in the bottom of the boat to get tripped on and cause more headaches.

May not be ideal, but if you're using a boat you can just gather a dozen or two and put a hitch in them and pile them on the floor. If that doesn't suit you, the Rig Em Right bags are good for it because they have a big mouth. The key is to gather the lines and put a hitch in them, or they will be all over the place.
CutEm214
hunter

Texas Rigged Decoys

Postby whistlin_wings » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:26 pm

I've bought the rig em right ones and like them but when I made them I had a whole lot of mushroom weights so i attached those to one end and crimped them then put the line through the keel and then made a loop and crimped that end. Line ran through the keel and loop was at the end when you picked up the decoys
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Cypress_Bend » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:47 am

goodkarmarising wrote:www.snlcorp.com has precut lines at 4ft long or you can order a coil of 400 lb mono and cut what you want to the lengths you want. Also, egg weights tend to be better than strap weights when texas rigging decoys.

this is actually where i order mine from and got the sinkers to go with it. I was just wanting to attach them to the decoy without having to buy 200 snap swivels that would be big enough to fit the decoy.. those would be expensive i would think.
Cypress_Bend
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:56 am

You can buy the weights cheaper than thru snlcorp...I don't run snap swivels on my deeks...just 2 crimps.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Nathan N » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:44 am

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-ADT01S

This is what I use for decoy bags. I have the XL size. I can put 50 decoys in each bag with the top open. We put one decoy bag in each decoy sled and then either walk in or tow them behind the canoe. Works great. These bags would also work great for storing decoys in boat.
i shoot spoonies wrote:

shouldbeaguide should rename... shouldabeenswallowed
Nathan N
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:59 am

Cypress_Bend wrote:
goodkarmarising wrote:www.snlcorp.com has precut lines at 4ft long or you can order a coil of 400 lb mono and cut what you want to the lengths you want. Also, egg weights tend to be better than strap weights when texas rigging decoys.

this is actually where i order mine from and got the sinkers to go with it. I was just wanting to attach them to the decoy without having to buy 200 snap swivels that would be big enough to fit the decoy.. those would be expensive i would think.

The swivels aren't just for attaching to the decoys...they also allow for a lot of movement with less wind, a lot more than just running the line through a hole in the keel. They're also a good way to run multiple length sets because you can just unclip them and swap them out. If you go with a generic brand (Cabelas, Basspro, etc.) they're much much cheaper.
CutEm214
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting