Duck Hunting Forum banner

temporary blind in deeper water

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  GreenHeadDead 
#1 ·
Hey I have plans on making a 2-3 person blind in water alittle over a meter deep. It is a reedy marsh but there is no solid ground to make a ground blind.. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated, pics or anything are welcome ! Thanks! :welcome:

#4 ·
You could get some barrels and make a floating blind, or take some 4x4's add cross peices for stability. Then you put on a floor, and walls, along with abit of a roof. To keep it in place you could use some weights or earth anchors.

#5 ·
woodysniper said:
You could get some barrels and make a floating blind, or take some 4x4's add cross peices for stability. Then you put on a floor, and walls, along with abit of a roof. To keep it in place you could use some weights or earth anchors.
I was thinking of that barrel idea accually. I have a blueprint of a 6' by 8' blind ment for land or (the site said) it can be floated with styrofome. I sit better with the thought of the barrels personally just because I think it would last longer. But I thought about copying the base of the blind I would make and make a mini dock frame with a plywood floor and floating by 2 barrels, then just attaching my blind onto it! ( Also would add 4 pvp piped so it can stay in place and be stable and rise/lower with the water) Sorry if that's confusing, but any thoughts?

#7 ·
damarshall7 said:
buy a boat. You can get a jon boat for less than you will spend on materials. You can move the jon boat around and hunt it almost anywhere. If you wanted to build a blind, you should have started months ago, the season is upon us.
I'm talking next season. I want to have it out for after winter so local birds well get use to seeing it and vegetation we'll start to grow up on it blending it in even more. But about the jon boat how much would it be !? Is there a specific one?

#8 ·
vegetation we'll start to grow up on it blending it in even more
vegetation isnt really going to grow up on it in 3 feet of water. And you should focus on hunting, not this ridiculous blind project.

There are jon boats on craigslist all the time for $100-200. I have picked up 2 motors on cl for less than $100. one was a 5 hp, one was a 10 hp. just keep looking and you can find what you need. Have priced the lumber for this project? How do you plan on driving the pilings from a canoe? How do you plan to haul the materials from a canoe?

#10 ·
Just becareful! Some young college guys drowned here last year on a floating blind built on 50gal barrels. I don't know the whole story but from what I understand the barrels shifted and the blind fell down into the water dumping the guys into the water. They had their waders on and sank down in water just over their head. Just something to think about.

#12 ·
Use a pontoon boat deck as your base. I don't know where your from but down in ms you can buy a good used pontoon boat for around $1000. We went all out on ours and have $3000 in total. We built the blind on a 18 ft pontoon boat, built the blind frame out of 1in conduit, and used fence boards for covering. Put heaters in, stove, drop down shooting gates, and roof on the back of the blind to cover the boat. It's not a cheap temporary solution by any means, but it's very stable, with 6 guys, strong, portable, and will last many years.

#13 ·
Duckslayer19 said:
Use a pontoon boat deck as your base. I don't know where your from but down in ms you can buy a good used pontoon boat for around $1000. We went all out on ours and have $3000 in total. We built the blind on a 18 ft pontoon boat, built the blind frame out of 1in conduit, and used fence boards for covering. Put heaters in, stove, drop down shooting gates, and roof on the back of the blind to cover the boat. It's not a cheap temporary solution by any means, but it's very stable, with 6 guys, strong, portable, and will last many years.
Thanks man ill look into it. Ill see what I can find! :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.