temporary blind in deeper water

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

temporary blind in deeper water

Postby GreenHeadDead » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:21 am

Hey I have plans on making a 2-3 person blind in water alittle over a meter deep. It is a reedy marsh but there is no solid ground to make a ground blind.. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated, pics or anything are welcome ! Thanks! :welcome:
GreenHeadDead
hunter
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:09 am


Re: temporary blind in deeper water

Postby easternshoreMD » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:58 am

drive 4x4 down at least 5 feet. use only pressure treated
easternshoreMD
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Re: temporary blind in deeper water

Postby GreenHeadDead » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:11 pm

easternshoreMD wrote:drive 4x4 down at least 5 feet. use only pressure treated


How would I make my blind off of that? I'm guessing you mean 4 posts in a rectangle shape.
GreenHeadDead
hunter
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:09 am

Re: temporary blind in deeper water

Postby woodysniper » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:09 pm

You could get some barrels and make a floating blind, or take some 4x4's add cross peices for stability. Then you put on a floor, and walls, along with abit of a roof. To keep it in place you could use some weights or earth anchors.
Remember to spay and nueter your democrats.
User avatar
woodysniper
hunter
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:41 pm
Location: NE Iowa

Re: temporary blind in deeper water

Postby GreenHeadDead » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:53 pm

woodysniper wrote:You could get some barrels and make a floating blind, or take some 4x4's add cross peices for stability. Then you put on a floor, and walls, along with abit of a roof. To keep it in place you could use some weights or earth anchors.


I was thinking of that barrel idea accually. I have a blueprint of a 6' by 8' blind ment for land or (the site said) it can be floated with styrofome. I sit better with the thought of the barrels personally just because I think it would last longer. But I thought about copying the base of the blind I would make and make a mini dock frame with a plywood floor and floating by 2 barrels, then just attaching my blind onto it! ( Also would add 4 pvp piped so it can stay in place and be stable and rise/lower with the water) Sorry if that's confusing, but any thoughts?
GreenHeadDead
hunter
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:09 am

Re: temporary blind in deeper water

Postby damarshall7 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:50 am

buy a boat. You can get a jon boat for less than you will spend on materials. You can move the jon boat around and hunt it almost anywhere. If you wanted to build a blind, you should have started months ago, the season is upon us.
damarshall7
hunter
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: temporary blind in deeper water

Postby GreenHeadDead » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:31 am

damarshall7 wrote:buy a boat. You can get a jon boat for less than you will spend on materials. You can move the jon boat around and hunt it almost anywhere. If you wanted to build a blind, you should have started months ago, the season is upon us.


I'm talking next season. I want to have it out for after winter so local birds well get use to seeing it and vegetation we'll start to grow up on it blending it in even more. But about the jon boat how much would it be !? Is there a specific one?
GreenHeadDead
hunter
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:09 am

Re: temporary blind in deeper water

Postby damarshall7 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 am

vegetation we'll start to grow up on it blending it in even more


vegetation isnt really going to grow up on it in 3 feet of water. And you should focus on hunting, not this ridiculous blind project.

There are jon boats on craigslist all the time for $100-200. I have picked up 2 motors on cl for less than $100. one was a 5 hp, one was a 10 hp. just keep looking and you can find what you need. Have priced the lumber for this project? How do you plan on driving the pilings from a canoe? How do you plan to haul the materials from a canoe?
damarshall7
hunter
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: temporary blind in deeper water

Postby Small Block » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:20 pm

For some ideas go to rollingbarge.com.
Small Block
Small Block
hunter
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: temporary blind in deeper water

Postby addicted2ducks » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:33 am

Just becareful! Some young college guys drowned here last year on a floating blind built on 50gal barrels. I don't know the whole story but from what I understand the barrels shifted and the blind fell down into the water dumping the guys into the water. They had their waders on and sank down in water just over their head. Just something to think about.
addicted2ducks
hunter
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: temporary blind in deeper water

Postby aunt betty » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:24 pm

He asked about building a blind in a METER or water. He's not from around here.
Gotta speak in metric.
a "4x4" is a fence post that's 4 inches by 4 inches.
That's 100 mm x 100 mm roughly.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: temporary blind in deeper water

Postby Duckslayer19 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:35 pm

Use a pontoon boat deck as your base. I don't know where your from but down in ms you can buy a good used pontoon boat for around $1000. We went all out on ours and have $3000 in total. We built the blind on a 18 ft pontoon boat, built the blind frame out of 1in conduit, and used fence boards for covering. Put heaters in, stove, drop down shooting gates, and roof on the back of the blind to cover the boat. It's not a cheap temporary solution by any means, but it's very stable, with 6 guys, strong, portable, and will last many years.
Duckslayer19
hunter
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:34 pm

Re: temporary blind in deeper water

Postby GreenHeadDead » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:12 am

Duckslayer19 wrote:Use a pontoon boat deck as your base. I don't know where your from but down in ms you can buy a good used pontoon boat for around $1000. We went all out on ours and have $3000 in total. We built the blind on a 18 ft pontoon boat, built the blind frame out of 1in conduit, and used fence boards for covering. Put heaters in, stove, drop down shooting gates, and roof on the back of the blind to cover the boat. It's not a cheap temporary solution by any means, but it's very stable, with 6 guys, strong, portable, and will last many years.


Thanks man ill look into it. Ill see what I can find! :beer:
GreenHeadDead
hunter
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:09 am


Return to Do It Yourself Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests