Technique for plucking ducks- Help

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Technique for plucking ducks- Help

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Ok guys, I got a fridge full of mallards right now and I don't like to breast big birds. Any special techniques you guys got for plucking would be appreciated. I'll do it the old fashioned way if I have to, but would like to try something easier
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Re: Technique for plucking ducks- Help

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:08 pm

wanapasaki wrote:Ok guys, I got a fridge full of mallards right now and I don't like to breast big birds. Any special techniques you guys got for plucking would be appreciated. I'll do it the old fashioned way if I have to, but would like to try something easier

This year we started waxing them. We use an outdoor turkey fryer and a few blocks of Gulf Wax from the grocery store. We quick pluck the bird, then dip them in the wax several times until they have a nice layer of wax. Hang 'em up for a while and when the wax dries just peel it off. All the remaining feathers come off with the wax, and you are left with a 100% naked bird.

We've done several this way this year, it takes some time but is well worth it in my opinion.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:23 pm

cool,is the wax real expensive? And reusable right?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:25 pm

wanapasaki wrote:cool,is the wax real expensive? And reusable right?

A brick of Gulf Wax costs us something like 3.50 at the grocery store. You'll find it in the canning section. We tossed a couple of them in the turkey fryer, and yes you can reuse it when you're done. It's cheap enough that it's easier to buy more instead of taking the time to sift out feathers and whatnot.

Google wax plucking, or do a search in the honey hole to see some videos of the process.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks Botiz I'll give it a go
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:10 am

A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting