Build your Duck Blind at home

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Build your Duck Blind at home

Postby drycreek1991 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:19 am

I have done this twice, and I'm quite sure I'm not the 1st to have ever built a blind this way. I have a 100 acres 1 mile from a power pole, without having to haul a generator and power tools down in the swamp I thought I would build my blind at home and haul it into the swamp, load it on a boat and float it out, drive the post down and bolt it to the post. This would have to be better than dragging all the equipment out there.
I started at home by framing up a 8'x12' platform from treated 2x12x12' and I went ahead and put the decking on the platform. Then I framed the back wall and two side walls from 2x4 and put the siding on each of them. Now I had 4 (HEAVY) pieces, plus I pre cut my rafters, two men can handle this good enough to be able to load it on a trailer. We loaded the back wall first, then the two side walls next and the bottom platform last, so when we go to unload our blind it will go onto the boat in the order of construction. Next was when we got to the swamp we had two 12' jon boats setting in the edge of the water side by side, we strapped the the front and back together to keep them from floating apart while we walked the platform onto them. We loaded the bottom platform, 8 steel sign post, a post driver, a level and 4 ratchet straps and the lag bolts and tools to screw the bolts in with (these kind of post are 12' long and have holes already drilled in them,making it easy to put your lag bolts through, plus you can also bolt these post together if yo need them longer than 12'). We floated the platform out to the location we wanted and drove one post down and when we couldn't drive it any further we took one of the ratchet straps hooked it under the platform and jacked it up off the boat as high as we needed(about 3 1/2' off the boats), then we went to the next corner and did the same thing, checking it with the level across the front, and then to the backside and drove the post and leveled up the back, screwing our lag bolts in as we went, then the sides and all we had to do was drive the post down and put the bolts in. We then went back to the get the nails, rafters, roofing and three walls, we pulled the back wall up first nailing the plate into the 2x12 and then the two side walls nailing them into the back wall 2x4 studs and nailing the plate down to the 2x12's running down the side, taking a 12' 2x6 and nailing it across the front at the top gave us something to build the rafters to, after putting the roof on we had a 8' x 12' blind put together in less than 3 hours, not counting the time it took me to build the pieces at home. It took as long to brush it up as it took to put it together.
I hope this may help some of you and give you some ideas on building a duck blind.
Dogs are only as smart as their handler
drycreek1991
hunter

Re: Build your Duck Blind at home

Postby Small Block » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Let's see now. You made a great post on a lot of information and .....NO PICTURES???? You really know how to kick the stool out from under a feller now. geesh
Small Block
Small Block
hunter

Postby drycreek1991 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:42 pm

I know I was thinking about the same thing, my friend that helped me, he did make pictures, and he did them as we put it up in stages. I was the smart one and left my phone in the truck (just in case I fell in), I'm sorry about not being able to post the pictures he made, we put it together and he left the next day going back to work and he works over seas on a drilling rig with slow to no internet, it'll be another 3 weeks before he gets back home. I can post a picture of the first one we put together, it's smaller 6'x8'
drycreek1991
hunter

Postby drycreek1991 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Blind in the Break.jpg
This is the first one we built picture was made before we got through brushing it up.
Blind in the Break.jpg (11.81 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
I know I was thinking about the same thing, my friend that helped me, he did make pictures, and he did them as we put it up in stages. I was the smart one and left my phone in the truck (just in case I fell in), I'm sorry about not being able to post the pictures he made, we put it together and he left the next day going back to work and he works over seas on a drilling rig with slow to no internet, it'll be another 3 weeks before he gets back home. I can post a picture of the first one we put together, it's smaller 6'x8'
drycreek1991
hunter

Postby drycreek1991 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:39 am

Before brushing.jpg
Before brushing the blind
Before brushing.jpg (17.53 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
drycreek1991
hunter