Wiring help for motorized decoy

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Wiring help for motorized decoy

Postby Rhino » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:12 am

So I made one of the duck butt pulsator decoys. It works great, but I'm trying to add a remote to it so I can have it set to go and then turn on right before legal shooting. I like to be setup and in the blind well before shooting time. Anyway, I ordered a 12v remote kit and can't figure this thing out for the life of me. I've tried every possible combination possible and still can't get it to work. So I don't know if I'm just missing something or if the unit is actually defective. Here's a picture of the unit I've got and the way I was told to wire it.

Symbols:
NC- Normally closed
NO- Normally open
Comm- Common
+: positive
-: negative

The bilge pump it's hooked up to doesn't matter as far as polarity. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
wir dig.JPG
Take'm!
Rhino
hunter

Re: Wiring help for motorized decoy

Postby Camocynergy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:39 am

Assuming you have a volt meter, if you can't get any output through the remote with that, it may be broken. What kind of on/off switch is on the remote?
Camocynergy
hunter

Postby Rhino » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:51 am

I don't currently have a volt meter otherwise I would have tested it to verify that it is functional or not. So instead I'm just trying to troubleshoot by trying every possible combination. The remote has two buttons (lock/unlock) basically off and on. There is a jumper that you can switch to make it a latching or momentary switch. I've also messed around with that as well with no luck.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these and how they wired them. I just need it to work as an on/off either by pushing one button to turn it on and off or by using both buttons to turn on/off (one button on, the other off).

According to the specifics of this it's rated to 10amps and per the details of my pump it only draws 1.4amps at 12v. So I don't think that is the issue. I've contacted the seller and asked for a solution, but am still waiting. Thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone could help. I was hoping I'd get lucky and someone would say I just had it wired incorrectly.
Take'm!
Rhino
hunter

Postby crohrer » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:15 pm

the remote is a switch it take 12 vto operate it no electric goes throught it, if the remote is the same as the one i have you will need to run the white wire to the batter off your bilge pump the black will run to the com the with another wire from NC to the positive post on battery keep the remote + - hooked up the way u have it . good luck
crohrer
hunter

Postby Rhino » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:33 am

Thanks for the info Crohrer! I was able to get it wired up correctly and it works! :beer: Here's a diagram for anyone else who might ever need it. Thanks!!!
Attachments
switch1.JPG
Take'm!
Rhino
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting