Anyone make a home made ghillie???

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Anyone make a home made ghillie???

Postby Blackfoot down » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:59 pm

Thinking about making a homemade ghillie using jute and an old coat. Anyone got any ideas or made one already. I am wanting it for cut beans. I think the jute would take grey Rit dye... Any suggested ideas for mixing the Rit to get a good dead bean stalk color? I also want to use it for coyote hunting, but I think I just might have to make two different color patterns. Natural jute color blends pretty well with our winter hayfield colors. Walmart sells small rolls of jute alread in natural and green, but I don't think much green will be needed for around here. I hesitate to buy a premade one from Bass Pro or Cabellas because they use polyfiber. I wonder about the UV shine from poly? Any help appreciated!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Re: Anyone make a home made ghillie???

Postby jeepman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:18 pm

I made a few while i was in the army. we used netting from hammoks and cut them to size and sewed them to BDU woddland tops. then cut like a million 12 inch strips bundled them up and tied them to the netting. after all of the sewing and tieing is done we would drag them through the mud and it would make the twine look more natural. In my opinion the long and short of it is. it takes a very long time with tedious work to make a good one yourself. if it were me i would just buy one they are resonably priced and might hold up a little better.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:51 pm

jeepman,
Thanks for the input. My ghillie was issued to me a Ft. Bragg when I was in the scout/sniper platoon with 1/504th PIR in the early 90's. I remember that ours were made of jute and hemp cords. Our ghillies were canvas on the front so you could crawl. Only the backs were covered. Those things were so freaking hot in the summer laying around Sicily DZ you melted in your own puddle of sweat! I don't know if the BN bought ours from a commercial manufacturer or if they had an NSN and LIN or NATO ID... Too damned long ago!

The reason I don't want to buy one is because the only ones I can find made now are using poly fiber and nylon. Do you remeber using NVG's under IR and how easy it was to pick out anything nylon from the glow under IR? I think that since geese see in UV, they would be able to see the difference in nylon and poly fibers easier than natural fiber...

Another reason is that none of them would be close to the right colors for a cut bean field. All the cheap ones I have seen are tans or greens. I need greys, browns, and just a touch of greens....

I will post a picture one of these days after I make one. Thanks for the idea about the netting!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby jeepman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:15 am

Blackfoot down wrote:jeepman,
Thanks for the input. My ghillie was issued to me a Ft. Bragg when I was in the scout/sniper platoon with 1/504th PIR in the early 90's. I remember that ours were made of jute and hemp cords. Our ghillies were canvas on the front so you could crawl. Only the backs were covered. Those things were so freaking hot in the summer laying around Sicily DZ you melted in your own puddle of sweat! I don't know if the BN bought ours from a commercial manufacturer or if they had an NSN and LIN or NATO ID... Too damned long ago!

The reason I don't want to buy one is because the only ones I can find made now are using poly fiber and nylon. Do you remeber using NVG's under IR and how easy it was to pick out anything nylon from the glow under IR? I think that since geese see in UV, they would be able to see the difference in nylon and poly fibers easier than natural fiber...

Another reason is that none of them would be close to the right colors for a cut bean field. All the cheap ones I have seen are tans or greens. I need greys, browns, and just a touch of greens....

I will post a picture one of these days after I make one. Thanks for the idea about the netting!

No problem. i had canvas sewn on the front of mine at "Bradleys surplus" a shop just outside of fort drum. they are really hot and once you get them broke in and looking good they start to stink. i think if you could find a way to speed up the process of cutting the individual strands of swine it would go alot faster.
jeepman
hunter

Postby flight control » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:44 pm

I made one to cover a kayak once for use as a layout in shallow water. It was a small diameter fish net with strips of burlap tied to the mesh. It worked great but the kayak was too cramped. I am going to modify it to fit my layout boat.

I tried the rit dye and it didn't take, maybe I did something wrong. If I were to do it again, I would try cutting the burlap into 12 by 12 inch squares and separate the individual strands, then tie bundles of strands to the netting.

Also, if you strap it to the roof of your car and go for a drive, that makes it nice and fluffy :yes:
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:04 pm

What would be the best way to make my ghillie work in wooded area. I.mean attaching sticks grasses ect to it

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
Sfd714
hunter

Postby jeepman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:21 am

[quote="Sfd714"]What would be the best way to make my ghillie work in wooded area. I.mean attaching sticks grasses ect to it

What makes a Ghillie suit so effective is the way it breaks up your outline not necessarily what you have tied to it. all of mine that i made i got soaking wet and dragged them through to mud to make the jute and burlap as natural looking as possible. It's the same concept as mudding a layout to remove the newness and shine from it. As for blending into what ever environment you in, I would lay it out on the ground before you put it on and weave some natural vegetation for wherever you are and see how it looks. You just want to not over do it it should look natutal not like a fresh pile of fresh cut vegetation
jeepman
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:00 pm

Flight control,
Now I sooooo want to make one for my truck just to drive around my little redneck town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby flight control » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:06 pm

That would look cool until you lost your truck :beer:
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:36 pm

I can only imagine the stares I would get at Wal-Mart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Headed to Springfield tomorrow to start picking up supplies. I found one of my old DCU tri-colors from 2003. I think I am going to stick with lighter hayfield colors and just do a top first for coyotes. If it works out okay, I will try one for ducks/geese. I will try to take pictures and post when I finish it...
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:23 pm

Update on ghillie.... Pain in the @$$ so far...

I have about 20 hours into the coat and hat so far. Only the front and most of one arm is done. Project total cost so far is around $60 bucks. I still have about 9 rolls of jute.
Attachments
100_4139.JPG
100_4138.JPG
almost half way done
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby flight control » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:59 pm

Looking good so far. So are you using jute string instead of burlap? Thats easier than my idea of taking the burlap apart into individual strings. How did you get the colour?

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby jeepman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Looks like it is comming along nicely. just make sure you dry them out good before you store it. both of the ones i made smelled pretty ripe once they got broken in, but they looked awsome. the only thing is if you ball it up in a stuff sack sweaty and or wet they get moldy and start to rot. but i guess it all depends on how much you are going to use it too.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:42 pm

I used Rit Dye from Wal-Mart for a couple bucks. The Jute rolls are $1.79, but I found some bigger rolls when I drove to Springfield to start this project and they were almost twice as long for the same price. I used the tan, black (super watered down), and light green dyes. Wal-Mart has natural and dark green already dyed. Thank God they issued mine when I was at Bragg. I don't think I would have finished it before I PCS'ed LOL!

This thing is a lot of work, but I am hoping that the coyotes will think it was worth it by giving me lots of 50 yard shots!!! I work on it at night while watching TV so it isn't really that bad. I love it when I can catch a re-run day of Moonshiners so I can work on it for a few hours!!! It might go faster if I wasn't drinking Apple Pie while tying, but it is purely medicinal for my arthritis. To many mornings with my hands in icy water!!!

I think I will skip making one for my truck to drive around town in. Too much work!!!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby jeepman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Blackfoot down wrote:I used Rit Dye from Wal-Mart for a couple bucks. The Jute rolls are $1.79, but I found some bigger rolls when I drove to Springfield to start this project and they were almost twice as long for the same price. I used the tan, black (super watered down), and light green dyes. Wal-Mart has natural and dark green already dyed. Thank God they issued mine when I was at Bragg. I don't think I would have finished it before I PCS'ed LOL!

This thing is a lot of work, but I am hoping that the coyotes will think it was worth it by giving me lots of 50 yard shots!!! I work on it at night while watching TV so it isn't really that bad. I love it when I can catch a re-run day of Moonshiners so I can work on it for a few hours!!! It might go faster if I wasn't drinking Apple Pie while tying, but it is purely medicinal for my arthritis. To many mornings with my hands in icy water!!!

I think I will skip making one for my truck to drive around town in. Too much work!!!

If you haven't yet tied the jute to the back of you top go a little longer it'll help blend a little better and to expidite the cutting and tying i hooked the roll to a nail and filled a 5 galon pale with pre cut strips so you can just grab a tie. It looks great though!
jeepman
hunter

Postby TKEEKU » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:12 pm

First, nice post jeepman. I was 3/505 around the same time and earlier.

Anyway, building a ghillie is VERY time consuming and you probably need to make a few of them before you get something that work well (Just my 2 cents).

Try http://www.ghilliesuits.com/. I am not connected to the site but I do buy a bunch of stuff off there to use while hunting. Try the ghillie blind cover 30" x 9' premade stuff and build one that way. Ideally you are going to need to figure out where you want ghillie material and WHERE YOU DON"T. You are going to have to play with colors too. In the end try a premade, or very little assembly required, suit and play with it for a while. It helps if someone can take some digital pictures of you in the cut beans, close and far. Then go home and throw them up on the computer or tv and take a much closer look.

Hope that helps?
TKEEKU
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting