Small Boat Project

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Small Boat Project

Postby TKEEKU » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:00 pm

I want to remove the center bench from a 14 ft, flat bottom, single layer hull aluminum john boat. I use it to hunt the river (very rocky) when the water level is low. Has anyone done this before? I would need to add reinforcement for the missing bench, but is an additional strut on the floor enough? I am trying to gain center space for seats when I have the blind up.
TKEEKU
hunter

Re: Small Boat Project

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:50 am

You could remove it with a cutoff tool, sawzall or grinder with a cutting a blade. Then grind down whats left. A strutt should be enough to keep it sturdy. You'll want it to come pretty far up the sides for extra reinforcement. I have a 16' 58" aluminum boat that is completely open like that. It just has a front bench and rear bench. I use it for running nets and hunting.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:08 am

Repost this in the Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds forum. There are a lot of guys who have posted rebuilds there and this thread will get a lot more attention there.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:43 am

TKEEKU,

I can move this post to the boat forum if you'd like. Just say the word.
It needs more cowbell.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting