ZIPPER REPAIRS!!!

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

ZIPPER REPAIRS!!!

Postby aunt betty » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:10 am

How many times have you tossed a good tent or jacket because the zipper started doing the "unzip itself" on you? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Been agonizing over throwing away my favorite jacket from Cabelas because the zipper is broke on it. Some of you are saying, "send it back, get a new one" but that's impossible. Discontinued item. They'll replace it with something "like" it but no way can they come close to this. It's one of them Windshearâ„¢ jackets. They still make that but this one has 100 gram Thinsulateâ„¢ in it. (NICE)
They don't do the thinsulate one anymore. :mad:

So I started looking on-line for zipper replacement. I thought I needed a 25" zipper and a lot of needlework but...found that most of the time the metal part is worn out. Sometimes the thing in the center gets worn. Lots of ways that little piece can malfuntion and 99% of the time that's the problem. The teeth sometimes fall out of a zipper and you can't fix that but putting a new "zipper" on is worth a shot. Walmart has a kit for $9 that has most every zipper used.

I got to thinking...I have a few old camo jackets that I refuse to throw out and they all have bad zippers, some with just the teeth missing in a spot. The light bulb went off and I sprung into action.

You can take the zipper off. Who knew? I carefully took a perfectly good metal zipper off my old columbia jacket and put it on my broken Cabelas jacket and whallah...within ten minutes I was zipping and unzipping my favorite jacket AGAIN!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

I'm kinda proud of myself. Was real close to just taking it to a seamstress. Bet she woulda had fun fooling me into thinking she'd done a ton of work fixing my jacket. Live and learn.

I LOVE my thinsulate jacket and would payed to get it fixed. Was already calculating just how high would I have went. Ouch.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Re: ZIPPER REPAIRS!!!

Postby damarshall7 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:38 pm

I payed $12 to have a zipper replaced on a nice jacket. Just take it to a local tailor and save yourself the time and hassle.
damarshall7
hunter

Re: ZIPPER REPAIRS!!!

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:55 pm

I usually order the #10 Brass zippers at :
A Feibusch Corporation, 27 Allen Street, New York, NY 10002. Tel # 888-947-7872, WWW.zipperstop.com, Email: AFEIBUSCH@PRODIGY.NET

I have replaced all the zippers on my Browning Jackets, Beretta jacket and my hunting packsacks. These zippers are a bit on the heavy side but I have yet to wear one out. They can supply any style zipper for any purpose.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting