lathe chuck

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

lathe chuck

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:09 am

I am looking to upgrade my lathe with a chuck...
I don't want to spend too much (less than $100), but I am sick of trying to drill dead center with a drill press.

I have found the following (drive side) chucks:
6" 4 jaw (independent adjustment) for $30
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-4-Jaw-Chuck-3-4-x-16-TPI/H8048
3" 3 jaw (scroll/self-centering) for $55
http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-3-Jaw-Wood-Chuck-3-4-x-16-TPI/H8033
2" 3 jaw (scroll/self-centering) for $47
http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-3-Jaw-Micro-Chuck-3-4-x-16-TPI/H8031

With the 6' 4 jaw, I am worried about the independent adjustment... I have never used an non-self-centering chuck.
If I find center on a blank, turn it down, and take it off of the lathe only moving 1 or 2 jaws, will I be able to get it back on the chuck close enough to center?

For the 3 jaw chucks, I usually work with 3x3 or 4x4 blanks... they are both reversible jaws... will I be able to expand the 2" out to 3" if I reverse the jaws? For the 3"... can I reverse the jaws and get out to 4"?
I'm not so worried about using them for square pieces; I have used this technique before:
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=6581.0
It will work to get a rough cut, and provide a round portion to grab onto securely.

What would you guys/gals suggest?
Any other suggestions on chucks for 3/4 x 16 TPI are welcome.
I would love if it, if one of you knows of a 4 jaw scroll chuck (with reversible square jaws) for under $80.

Also...
I am having a hard time finding a drill bit chuck that fits my lathe...
it has a threaded hole for the "live center" (3/4 x 16 tpi)...
All of the ones I find are the standard no thread (tapers) like the live center and chuck below:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Cupped-Live-Center-for-Wood-Lathe-MT1/H3403
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-mt2-mini-lathe-drill-chuck-42340.html

Anyone know of a way around this or where I can get the proper one?
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Re: lathe chuck

Postby jcz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:21 pm

Your link to the drill chuck from harbor freight is what you want to hold the drill bit. I have 3 of them. Got tried of changing bits all the time.

You need to go to PSI and get their utility 4 jaw chuck. I have 2 of them. They come with diferent jaws for different jobs. They have a 10% coupon for a couple more days. Heck of a deal.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CUG3418CCX.html

Also, here a link to a game call making forum. If you are not visiting this site yet you need to. It has many talented call makers there.
http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php
jcz
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:44 am

Wow the calls on the website are amazing...

It has set a whole new set of goals and ideas for my next set of calls.

Thanks for suggesting that site!

Your link to the drill chuck from harbor freight is what you want to hold the drill bit. I have 3 of them. Got tried of changing bits all the time.

I know what the drill chuck is for, my problem is instead of having a Morse Taper on the tail stock, there is a threaded hole in a what I believe is 3/4 x 16 tpi (same as drive side)... I need to find a way to attach a drill chuck to a threaded spindle instead of a Morse Taper spindle, more than that I need to find a threaded tail spindle.

I have called around and no one has seen this before, I will post the question on the call making site and see if they can help me out.
Last edited by WoodyWhiffingMG on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby jcz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:00 am

I can't say I have ever seen a lathe like that. Is is a wood lathe or a metal lathe? When you post your question over there pics will go a long way in how fast you get help. The guys there are some of the best at what we do.
jcz
hunter

Postby jcz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:02 am

I go by jcz on all the forums I am on. Feel free to Pm me here or there if you need to.
jcz
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:46 am

How did you get away with a name like that on that site?

I tried to use my same user name and they deleted my account with in 10 min.
They said I have to use my real name or the name of my company.
I had to re-register from a different computer... only one registration per IP address!
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:47 am

jcz wrote:I can't say I have ever seen a lathe like that. Is is a wood lathe or a metal lathe? When you post your question over there pics will go a long way in how fast you get help. The guys there are some of the best at what we do.

It is a wood lathe.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby jcz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:30 pm

Not sure about that. Did you get registered?

I have been a member there for a few years now. Alot of guys changed their screen names to their company name. I just didn't change mine. Rather keep the smae name so I don't forget from one forum to the next.
jcz
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:29 pm

jcz wrote:Not sure about that. Did you get registered?

I have been a member there for a few years now. Alot of guys changed their screen names to their company name. I just didn't change mine. Rather keep the smae name so I don't forget from one forum to the next.

Yeah, got registered.
Posted my question in the "general call making discussion" forum.

Got the answer I was afraid of... Buy a new lathe.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby jcz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:45 pm

I saw your post over there after I posted here.

Give it a day or so. Let a few of the old timers see it. There may be hope for it yet.

Also, post up what area you live at over there. You may have an experienced turned near by. Most of us are more than happy having someone visit the shop and learn. I have had a few guys come to my shop before they got into callmaking. It isn't for everyone. My one warning....... the lathe is only a small fraction of the cost it takes to get into the hobby.

Again, holler if I can help.
jcz
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:02 am

Here is a picture of what i am dealing with:
TailSto.jpg
TailSto.jpg (10.56 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby hobbsj » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:20 am

I bought an old lathe that had the same issue, I wasn't knowledgable when I sprung for it and ended up just getting a different lathe as no accessories were compatible. All I could use was the deadcenter that came with it. I called some companies to see i the had a morse taper that would fit and they didn't. If you know a machinist, they may be able to make a an adapter. Just be sure you get it with a #2 Morse taper. ANother possibility would be to get a BEAL spindle tap (this only works if your head and tail are threaded the same) and tap a long piece of wood, mount it to the head stock and see if you can burrow out the interior to match the taper for the chuck. Just some thoughts.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:53 am

Got the answer I needed on THO... :banana:
If what I read is what it is, this should work. It is a threaded drill chuck for the headstock with a 1-8 tpi, apparently a new item, I have never seen it on their site. With shipping it should set you back about $50.
This drill chuck http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TM42.html

With this adapter it will screw on your tailstock threads. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LABAR418.html

Then when you upgrade to a real lathe, the drill chuck will work on the headstock of the new lathe, you will then need to buy a new drill chuck to fit the tailstock.

Marvin

Thank you, JCZ! :beer:
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby jcz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Glad I could help get you headed in the right direction. :thumbsup:
jcz
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting