Kayak duck boat

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Kayak duck boat

Postby Dallashunter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:12 am

Has anyone turned their kayak into a hunting boat? im doing mine in the spring and if anyone has any ideas or other things let me know and also if there is anything i should know about doing it! thanks!
Dallashunter
hunter

Re: Kayak duck boat

Postby waterfowlchaser123 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:38 pm

I made a reed grass cover that snaps on and off the cockpit and works great kind of turned it into to a layout blind that comes off so I can fish also cause the blind material makes a lot of drag paddling, love hunting from my kayak though :yes:
Attachments
image.jpg
waterfowlchaser123
hunter

Postby Dallashunter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:47 pm

thats kind of what i had in mind! it looks awesome! what kind of grass did you use? that Avery marsh grass stuff? did you paint it at all?
Dallashunter
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:32 am

We use Commander 120's for hunting and fishing

Made a blind for sit up and laydown hunting

Added raffia to it

Profile laying down, with jacket and life preserver on.

Profile sitting up.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterdogds » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:18 am

I've used my kayak for many different things, from decoy and dog transport to a walk in spot, to a layout. Best $300 I've ever spent.
Attachments
IMAG0392-1.jpg
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby Dallashunter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:20 pm

they all look great! im really allergic to dogs so i need this to get my downed birds, how do you guys anchor? do you use pole anchors or an anchor on the bottom? which way is easier to be able to un-do and go get my bird?
Dallashunter
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:53 am

Dallashunter wrote:they all look great! im really allergic to dogs so i need this to get my downed birds, how do you guys anchor? do you use pole anchors or an anchor on the bottom? which way is easier to be able to un-do and go get my bird?

I use a small anchor on some para cord. Works great, except when it's windy. I've planned on rigging up some sort of hoist for lowering and picking up the anchor. Seems like it would keep it out of the way and would be a convenient way to lower and pick up multiple times.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:37 am

Read the kayak message boards for making and "Anchor Trolley". I can run my anchor line in the trolley hole and run the trolley to the front and pull the bow into position and set the rope on a cleat. You have a float on one end and the anchor on the other. You just release the cleat and paddle and the anchor rope will play out and be there when you get back. I use a woodie decoy and 1/8" cord for my anchor rope. Works great.

If you're in mud read up on using a "stake out pole" through the ring in your anchor trolly.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby maxtracks1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:22 am

waterfowlchaser123 wrote:I made a reed grass cover that snaps on and off the cockpit and works great kind of turned it into to a layout blind that comes off so I can fish also cause the blind material makes a lot of drag paddling, love hunting from my kayak though :yes:

nice, that is a primetime setup right there.
maxtracks1
hunter

Postby Thepreacherman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:25 pm

I use an old town vapor 120, I added 1/4 shock cord down the side using nylon pad eyes. This allows me to grass in up.

I use the trolley anchor system off the rear with two 3/4 PVC poles off of the bow. I can even drop a wind duck into one of the poles.
Thepreacherman
Newb

Postby OneLeggedDuck » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:45 am

[Post removed]
OneLeggedDuck
hunter

Postby Conch27 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:49 pm

Originally it was an ocean kayak I used as a kid living in the florida keys....
Attachments
Duck Hunt Season 1 011 resize.jpg
sean iphone 4-2013 159 reseze1.jpg
Conch27
hunter

Postby luie b » Fri May 31, 2013 8:17 pm

I have a 10 ft. sit in kayak that's pretty stable that I want to hunt out of but what do you guys do when the ducks are working, do you try laying down or just put a bunch of brush and sit up? Because so far when out fishing I've had ducks and geese fly really close like I wasn't even there. How is it to make swinging shots with your gun? Are they do-able?
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby Conch27 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:11 am

I stash mine in the brush and cover it with burlap and surrounding grasses. Then I wade in the water with the alligators. :grooving:
Conch27
hunter

Postby jeepman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:We use Commander 120's for hunting and fishing

Made a blind for sit up and laydown hunting

Added raffia to it

Profile laying down, with jacket and life preserver on.

Profile sitting up.

Cupped,that cover looks great! Cut a slit down the middle for doors and an elastic draw string around the base and you could have a universal layout cover for kayaks. Where did you get it sewn up?
jeepman
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:02 am

I sewed it myself. My wife helped with with the john boat one years ago and swore she would never sew that cordura again. :wink:

Note to anyone trying. If you find a really good deal on 1000 denier Cordura, don't buy it! You break lots of needles with a standard sewing machine.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TXducksanddeer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:24 pm

If you had a kayak, how do you transport the decoys? I'm going to turn my kayak into a duck boat too.
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 pm

TX, here is a thought (never tried). Restaurants have big bread racks that are slotted (typically yellow, needs paint). See if you can find one, strap it to the back of the kayak and bungee the decoy bag to that. You need to make sure it is centered or you will tip. To stabilize, you can put foam blocks on a pole system and run it off the sides, like the ocean boats in Hawaii. I had a kayak I was going to try it to and opted to get a canoe after I fell into the water backwards trying to get out at o'dark thirty in 50 degree water.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:38 am

First off, get a kayak that is stable! All of the cheap kayaks you see at ***** are not stable, so do your research.

We put guns, blind bag and blinds in the bottom and bungee bags of decoys over that. As said, its always best to center it and keep it as low as possible. Each man carries some of the decoys, hint, we don't hunt alone in little boats!

Dress for wet weather, avoid cotton and keep and dry bag to change your clothes if you get into problems. Practice with the kayak in warm weather and always wear a PFD. Get the around the belly ones for hunting. Like below. You can't shoot with the regular PFD's but some of the mesh top vests or open vests for paddling for fishing allow for area to mount the gun on your shoulder.

Post what kayaks you are looking at before you buy one! Some of us have been canoeing or kayaking all our lives and we can keep you out of buying the wrong one. :beer:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Conch27 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:26 pm

TXducksanddeer wrote:If you had a kayak, how do you transport the decoys? I'm going to turn my kayak into a duck boat too.

Use bungees like everyone else said. Cross them like an X, port to starboard. directly on top of your kayak. I typically run with 24 decoys only in 1 bag that is strapped to my yak (not very heavy). Even if its unstable it just drags slightly but it NEVER would be able to tip my yak, even with me not in it. Keep your heavy gear in the kayak storage bins (located forward and aft of most quality yaks) I keep my jerk string, anchor, small cooler, mojos in them, it will keep everything midline.

Believe me......I hunt in alligator infested waters (every 50 -100 feet) and I want nothing to do with any capsizing especially 4:00 am.
Conch27
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Yes they work well. Spend alot of time fishing in it before a season begins. I would stay off big water and play it smart once the water gets really cold and icy. Personally I prefer sit on top because they are easier to get out of. I second Cupped and committed on always wearing a life vest in the kayak. I would just add that a kayaking life vest is much more comfortable than a standard life vest.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby NoShow » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Kayaks and conoes from ***** are junk just to let you newbies no. most of my hunting is done from a canoe, and you get what you pay for!!! But most good quaility conoes are still less than most commercial layout boats.
NoShow
Newb

Postby Thepreacherman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:12 am

I just picked up an Old Town twin heron. With the front seat out I can carry a dozen deeks my gear and my dog. The dog can retrieve out of it and no worries of tipping.

The Preacherman
Thepreacherman
Newb

Postby boder » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:58 pm

I have an ascend fs12 from bass pro. I have only used it for jump shooting so far and it has been very stable and solid to shoot from. Hope to get a lot more use out if my kayak this season. But no blind so far.
boder
hunter

Postby TROB » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:57 pm

Look at my old posts. I did a big thread on mine step by step pretty much. Wilderness systems Commander 120

I just got into bed and don't want to look it up on my iPad.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting