Looking at blind ideas for river.

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Looking at blind ideas for river.

Postby MarkM » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:20 am

Thinking of building a simple and easy blind for river hunting. Looking at using ivy, as there is loads of it around. Anyone have thoughts? Looking at something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/288-feet-Greenery ... stic+vines
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Re: Looking at blind ideas for river.

Postby neon58 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Are you talking a temporary blind or boat blind or one you are leaving in one spot for the season?
neon58
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:18 am

neon58 wrote:Are you talking a temporary blind or boat blind or one you are leaving in one spot for the season?

The area we hunt has a high bank behind us, so I am looking at dropping a contraption made from chicken wire with the ivy draped over it down from the trees above. It would be on ropes to lift it up when we are done hunting.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:12 pm

Does the ivy not die in the late season?
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:45 pm

okduckdude wrote:Does the ivy not die in the late season?

Well the winters we have had lately average about 50 during the day. Whole riverbank was alive past few years

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:57 pm

Since you have ivey near by just cut sum of it and use that and save your self some money
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:22 pm

jack lowe wrote:Since you have ivey near by just cut sum of it and use that and save your self some money

Problem with cutting ivy would be when we are done hunting, I would pull it up away from the river, in the event the water level raises. The ivy would eventually die that way, but with plastic plants, it would look like perfectly fine ivy from the bank, which would be our area of hunting. The problem that we are having is how it is situated.

I would essentially have it jutting out about 5-6 feet for us to be behind. That way it would simply look like a part of the bank that just sticks out.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:13 pm

MarkM wrote:
jack lowe wrote:Since you have ivey near by just cut sum of it and use that and save your self some money

Problem with cutting ivy would be when we are done hunting, I would pull it up away from the river, in the event the water level raises. The ivy would eventually die that way, but with plastic plants, it would look like perfectly fine ivy from the bank, which would be our area of hunting. The problem that we are having is how it is situated.

I would essentially have it jutting out about 5-6 feet for us to be behind. That way it would simply look like a part of the bank that just sticks out.

ok sweet sounds like you got it all figuerd out :thumbsup:
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby take'emgreenheads » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:21 am

problem with that type of stuff is if it is anything like the stuff that i had in a restaurant that i was working in it will shine. it also may not hold up well in the freeze becuse of the thin plastic. they are ment to be hung indoors.
take'emgreenheads
hunter

Postby Willie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Ivy sounds like the next fast grass...cool!
Willie
hunter

Postby guywithhat » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:06 am

I took all the branches of fake xmas trees and attached them to my boat blind.... any pine trees around you?
Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
guywithhat
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting