Duck Hunting Forum banner

DIY night vision for scope.

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  WoodyWhiffingMG 
#1 ·
figured I'd post something I did myself..... well actually I read about it on the internets and then did it...lol...
anywho... here is my poorman's night vision. was gonna be for my air rifle for pigeons in the top of the barn... but now its on my .22 ruger...

fuzzy picture of a deer 5 feet ahead of me....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152178961500353&l=4289969417489686781

well basiclly it is a CCTV camera with IR.. removed IR leds from the camera, replaced the board lens with a 16mm. took a pipe adapter and ran it through my table saw a few times the the hose clamps actually squeeze in on the pipe and holds the camera in one end.. and a scope cap in the other that slides onto the end of my bushnell 1.5-4.5 nicely. the 3.5" ttf screen is just held on with electrical tape.... seems to be holding up... and the stock bag holds a 12v 6500mah lipo battery. From it is a 1-2 power spliter that feeds the camera, and the tv. on the front of the rifle is a cree IR flashlight. I plan on changing my mount from a single weaver to a quad rail so I can run my smallsun led light on the other side in case I need real light out in the barn....
The 16mm lens focused in on the cross hairs a bit too much... a 9-12 would of been a better choice I figure. I've added a green film over the TV since the video was made... I read that the green is easier on the eye and it also takes some of the shine off my face.. even with the brightness turned down... and if the zombie apocalypse arises.. the screen can be tilted for shooting around corners which might be nice for some unknown reason.. The entire setup can be installed/removed in about 30 seconds including the IR light.

See less See more
#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
That is pretty cool... I tried to do something similar with an iPhone, by removing the electronic IR filter, but it didn't work.

I'm going to have to try this, I have an old CCD video camera laying around somewhere.
image.jpg

I'll have to figure out a way to go from the tiny camera lens to a scope though.

Attachments

#10 ·
you may have to change the lens in that camera...most factory lens' will be too wide a view and will show the end of the scope and around it on the screen... I swapped to a 16mm board lens.. but a 9-12mm might work just was well... mine cuts off alot of the outside area in the scope and is really focused on the center...luckily I can zoom out to 1.5x on my scope and is a wide angle bushnell. as for mounting.. I've seen one fella attach a scope ring off to the side of the scope, then ran a piece of weaver rail from beside the scope to behind the eye piece.. then mounted his camera to that....

#11 ·
guywithhat said:
you may have to change the lens in that camera...most factory lens' will be too wide a view and will show the end of the scope and around it on the screen... I swapped to a 16mm board lens.. but a 9-12mm might work just was well... mine cuts off alot of the outside area in the scope and is really focused on the center...luckily I can zoom out to 1.5x on my scope and is a wide angle bushnell. as for mounting.. I've seen one fella attach a scope ring off to the side of the scope, then ran a piece of weaver rail from beside the scope to behind the eye piece.. then mounted his camera to that....
It might be hard to find a lens for that old cam, but thanks for the tip... I will look into that, first I have to find that camera. :huh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.