Long line anchors, help!

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Long line anchors, help!

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:50 pm

I'm looking for input on making cheap anchors for my long lines. I need 12 anchors so it has to be affordable. I've heard of the coffee can trick but I'm hard pressed to find 12 cans. The weights need to be I guess between 3 and 5 pounds. What size weight do you guys use? Thanks!
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Re: Long line anchors, help!

Postby Cujo1 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Bullfrog26692 wrote:I'm looking for input on making cheap anchors for my long lines. I need 12 anchors so it has to be affordable. I've heard of the coffee can trick but I'm hard pressed to find 12 cans. The weights need to be I guess between 3 and 5 pounds. What size weight do you guys use? Thanks!

we use window weights, some people say they roll in tides, I don't know, I hunt lakes and don't have any problems, I also don't know how much they weigh.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu May 02, 2013 10:45 am

You can get the bricks that have holes in them, sash weights. Go to the junk yard and get some brake drums or old engine parts.
Just find some heavy stuff you can tie something to.
Get an onion sack and put some rocks in it with rope for God's sake...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby jeepman » Fri May 03, 2013 6:28 am

walk the railroad tracks. there are all kinds of steel pieces and spikes you can use. It doesn't really matter what you use as anchors as long as it holds the line in place. I use dumbells from yard sales, downrigger cannon balls, and and other random stuff because i refuse to pay 20 bucks apiece for grapple anchors.
jeepman
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri May 03, 2013 6:32 am

A buddy went to a used sporting goods place (Play it Again Sports) and bought a few used 5# weight plates for anchors. They are cheap, easy to rig and can be stacked or layed flat in the bottom of the boat for transport.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:58 pm

apexhunter wrote:A buddy went to a used sporting goods place (Play it Again Sports) and bought a few used 5# weight plates for anchors. They are cheap, easy to rig and can be stacked or layed flat in the bottom of the boat for transport.

Perfect! went to Play it Again Sports and picked up 12 5# plates for 2.95 a piece. Thanks!
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Postby gander_lander34 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:49 am

x2 on the Play It Again Sports way. I got 6, 10# (3 sets) plate grip weights for $.50/lb. $30 for 60 lbs of weight isn't too shabby. Got the idea from here. That place is an untapped resource for stuff like this.
gander_lander34
hunter

Postby Anas rubripes » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:58 pm

I went to Office Depot and bought a few 3" or 4" diameter by 3' long cardboard mailing tubes, cut them into 12" long sections, duct taped one end shut, filled them halfway with concrete, inserted a long eye bolts with a couple large scrap washers, and topped it off with concrete. If you mix it right, they last a long time. I figured it out once, but I don't remember exactly how much they weigh; somewhere between 5 and 10 pounds. Same as with sash weights, some say they roll in current or tide, but the open water I hunt in its no big deal. Cardboard tubes were cheap and so is a bag of quickcrete.

If I could change anything, I would cut the tubes so the entire weight was 11.75" to the top of the eye bolt. Then they can stand up or lay down in a standard milk crate for easy transport.
Anas rubripes
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Either plate anchors or window weights. Both can usually be found at yard sales for cheap.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby don novicki » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:31 pm

I have a garage full of 5 and 10lb window weights. I think I could send em by USPS for the flat rate box. How many do you need? 2.00/each plus whatever shipping is..........
don novicki
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Wish I had known about all you sash weights before I managed to find all the ones I needed. That is a good price.

For those who say sash weights roll in a tide, I say that is bunk. The lines drag on the weight and keep it straight in the current or waves which prevents it from rolling. I hunt a large tidal river with 9 foot tide exchanges and some serious current. I have never had a weight roll or slide once set.

If you run to short of an anchor line and a lot of decoys on one line you might move a 4 or 5 lb weight. In heavy current conditions I have run up to 12 decoys on a line and never had them budge with a 6 lb weight on the upstream end and a 4 lb weight on the downstream end. That includes some very rough water conditions. With smaller tides and calmer seas I run 30 foot anchor lines. In rougher conditions, big tides, or a little bit deeper water I run 60 foot anchor lines.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Ducks'n'Dogs » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:49 am

I used the small one quart paint cups from the hardware store and filled them with concrete and an eyebolt with washer. Last year I lost a few and ended up cutting pop bottles in half and filled them with concrete.
Ducks'n'Dogs
Newb

Postby ridefree16323 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:22 am

Find yourself old window weights that is what we use. Find a contractor that does window replacements or a demo company that tears down old homes.
ridefree16323
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:15 am

I run a few long lines occasionally for some deeper water I welded two old brake rotors together for the weights, with the hub portion welded to each other so I can just wrap the line around them like a spool. They are probably excessively heavy but they were free and work.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby zman115 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Heres a few I made tonight, they are kind of crude but will get the job done. The cans are 3/4 full and are 4-5 pounds. The small pie shapped ones are 1.5 lbs. I melted tire weights on a fryer cooker in cast iron skillets.
zman115
hunter

Postby zman115 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Sorry here it is.
Attachments
image.jpg
zman115
hunter

Postby UpSouth811 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:58 pm

Brake rotors r heavy but work good in strong current
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby MaverickDiesel42 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:51 am

I've used old horseshoes (the heavy throwing ones for the game) and they have worked really well.
Go ahead, fly away with your heart shot out...
MaverickDiesel42
hunter

Postby dickieg » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:39 pm

I JUST USED OLD SOUP CANS FILLE WITH QUICKCRETE
dickieg
hunter

Postby MJO21 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:41 pm

PVC pipe cut to length then filled with quickcrete.
MJO21
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:05 pm

HD throws out dozens of empty paint cans daily. Perfect size and typically has handles.

O2Fsh
In a marsh NOWHERE near your spot
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby duckr68 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:20 am

cut a plastic soda bottle down to manageable size, fill with quick crete add eye bolt with nut and washer to the top and screw in 3in lag bolts into the sides. then let dry and you have a heavy weight and the lags keep it from dragging or rolling.
duckr68
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting