Decoys in heavy mud

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Decoys in heavy mud

Postby Specklebelly » Sun May 05, 2013 7:22 pm

I am already looking forward to teal season in September and have a new spot. It is one of those, sink to your waist type muddy places in late summer. I want to devise some way of throwing a half dozen or so decoys out from the bank and then be able to bring them back without ever getting into the water. Any ideas?

I have thought about attaching some fishing line to a small gang rig and reeling it in after the hunt.

Any ideas of how I could get the decoys out and back in without walking in thick mud?
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Re: Decoys in heavy mud

Postby Botiz630 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Is there any water at all? Even a few inches is enough to float a kayak or a pirogue. It would probably be easier than some contraption for deploying and retrieving from shore.
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:43 pm

I know Avery makes either a 12-16 foot pole with a hook on the end so you can grab your decoys and pull them back in. A google search for decoy retriever should yield you good results.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sun May 05, 2013 7:57 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Is there any water at all? Even a few inches is enough to float a kayak or a pirogue. It would probably be easier than some contraption for deploying and retrieving from shore.

Yes, there is water and that is a good idea.

IW10 - Thats a good idea, kind of like one of those poles golfers use for getting balls out of the water?
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Yep. It's probably the same thing just painted camo so a company can make some cash off it!
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:33 pm

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:I know Avery makes either a 12-16 foot pole with a hook on the end so you can grab your decoys and pull them back in. A google search for decoy retriever should yield you good results.

I use this on our river when we wade out to the edge of the deep channel and it works great
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby nnorem7618 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:30 pm

If you want to save some money, you could make one yourself. Doesn't seem too difficult..
nnorem7618
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Thu May 09, 2013 9:23 am

i used a tall jack kite telescoping pole and wired a hook on the end works great in spot deeper than my waders
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:10 am

where we hunt the mud sticks worst than a crappy nappy on to grandmas best rug. very sticky and slippery too. we have used long lines both fishing type and self rigged but got sick of lines of dekes. we have put out dekes from canoes,float tubes and the 13' boat. this year we threw them from the shore with the weight sitting on the back of the deke the water varies from knee deep to 15' so we have a short 18" solid line with a snap swivel on each deke and tie a length of 20lb fishing nylon onto this just a 10"loop on each end snap the swivel on one end thread other through hole in sinker then back over sinker. only had 2 out of 30 odd turn turtle on us and need flipping with a lump of mud in beside it to splash/wave it over. we retrieved them by throwing a sinker out on a long heavy nylon across the dekes line and just pulled them in. so easy we will do that from here on in.dont know why we didnt cotton to this sooner, I pulled/fished them in and the guys de nyloned them and put them in the drums ready to take away. we chuck nylon in fire when we get home and use new lot each year. just too much hassle with water depth to wind them up each year. now getting the mud off the dekes and gear when we get home is a whole other story...
Attachments
IMG_1445.JPG
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Hybrid Prototype...weighs about 45-50 pounds.

Otherwise I would use the throw the decoy out and use a fish pole to retrieve (use tanglefree or some other single strand line so the hooks don't get caught...) I have a few areas I have hunted like that and even had red fish hit the zara spook I used for bird & decoy retrieval.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby neon58 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Don't forget you gotta be able to retrieve birds too. You can rig lines and throw dekes out from the bank but if you cant or dont want to walk out to pick up decoys you sure don't to have to chase cripples. :beer:
neon58
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:05 pm

MissedAgain wrote:Hybrid Prototype...weighs about 45-50 pounds.

Otherwise I would use the throw the decoy out and use a fish pole to retrieve (use tanglefree or some other single strand line so the hooks don't get caught...) I have a few areas I have hunted like that and even had red fish hit the zara spook I used for bird & decoy retrieval.

that pretty slick whats it made outa
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby diverduckduster » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Hey bud I have the same issue. I take a old fishing pole that casts good with a weight and treble hook. It works great, also use this technique to fetch my down ducks. Good luck :grooving:
diverduckduster
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:49 pm

neon58 wrote:Don't forget you gotta be able to retrieve birds too.

I don't think he plans to actually shoot any ducks.
mudpack
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:01 pm

Ever think about how you'll get the teal back that you shoot?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:24 pm

Specklebelly wrote:I am already looking forward to teal season in September and have a new spot. It is one of those, sink to your waist type muddy places in late summer. I want to devise some way of throwing a half dozen or so decoys out from the bank and then be able to bring them back without ever getting into the water. Any ideas?

I have thought about attaching some fishing line to a small gang rig and reeling it in after the hunt.

Any ideas of how I could get the decoys out and back in without walking in thick mud?

Not so much worried about the decoys, how are you getting the ducks? I have used a kick tube with a small paddle, as long as it's not tidal. They are inexpensive, light, and easily concealed on the shoreline.
scruggs12
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting