Blind HELP!!!!!!!

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Blind HELP!!!!!!!

Postby clymerfowler » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Okay i put my blind idea on paper. everything down to a half inch. now i need posts to put it on. it will be in between 2-4 feet of water. would 2x6 treated boards work for legs in the 4 corners. the blind will have a floor thats 10x5
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Re: Blind HELP!!!!!!!

Postby jeepman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:09 am

I think 4x4 posts would be the better way to go. There are a number of veriables like how soft the bottom is that it will be going on, and the weight of and in the blind. I think the 4x4 would sink less in mud and hold more weight.But as always using what you have is better than not having anything to use.
jeepman
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:46 am

im not sure if i want to sink the legs in or let them sit. if i sink them 4x4s might be hard to pound in out of a 8ft jonboat
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby jeepman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:00 am

clymerfowler wrote:im not sure if i want to sink the legs in or let them sit. if i sink them 4x4s might be hard to pound in out of a 8ft jonboat

True, but if the mud is that muckey that you can't walk out into the water and pound the post with waders on than you might get some settling. 2x6's will work, i've even seen 2x4's used. I am just the type of person that doesn't like to have to rebuild because i used inadequate materials and so I tend to do over kill.
jeepman
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:51 pm

Anything is hard to pound in out of a jon boat. Thought you said it was in only 2-4 foot of water? In that case, do what I do, which is carry a 10 foot aluminum step ladder with you, place it on the bottom and climb on and pound. Works quite well. Another thing I do, prior, that helps to make sure the blind is "square" is to cut out the bottom out of 1/2 or 3/4 inch treated plywood (most of the time I make a 4' x 8' whole piece as the bottom), notch the corners, plus one 2 feet over at the back for the entrance ladder for the 4x4's (cut the notches 6 X 6..important), float the plywood on the water and drive in the posts. It's a two person job, one to hold the post vertical and plumb and to keep the post in the notch, the other to pound. After that, remove the plywood( you'll have to lift up on one side to get it out), mark the amount of 'freeboard' you want on the posts where the sills will go (according to whether you have any fluctuation in water level) and nail or screw your treated 2x6's to the outside of the posts. (Use of a pneumatic nail gun makes it a lot more easy) Your plywood bottom will now be able to rest on the sills since you notched them 6 inches. Then place your floor joists across the short width (4'). I generally cut them on site as they may vary. Then drop on the bottom and nail the bottom to the joists. I usually make my ladder out of treated 2x4's and nail it to the 4x4 at the corner and the one 2 feet over for the opening. Top rails, seat and shelf along with wire fencing to attach camo is the last to be added.
Too much info?
Have fun!
Here's the last post blind I put in the swamp. I used round 4" posts so you don't have to keep them so square when you pound and makes it a little easier. The ladder post (on side) was a 2x6 which was pounded it and the ladder nailed to it after the other posts were set. Just as easy. Most of this stuff was used, treated, hog pen lumber (2x6's). Blind still stinks!

Click to enlarge
7A Swamp blind.jpg
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:53 am

Don't beavers chew through them 4x4's quick ?
We had to wrap everything close to the water with chicken wire to keep those buggers off our posts.
What happens when the water rises, can you raise the blind easily ?
Nice look'in pond !
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:48 am

callinfowl wrote:Don't beavers chew through them 4x4's quick ?
We had to wrap everything close to the water with chicken wire to keep those buggers off our posts.
What happens when the water rises, can you raise the blind easily ?
Nice look'in pond !

Never had a beaver chew treated posts, only thing I've had to worry about with the treated posts is bears chewing and scratching posts on deer stands. Water level remains there as it is at full level, just below the beaver dam which gives about 8 inches of freeboard. If the river floods its banks, as its prone to do once every year or so, the blind MAY loosen a bit. The only time I've had major damage on blinds (pushing out of the ground) in the swamp was Hurricane Floyd which also flooded thousands of homes. If the water level is up, we may have to stand in an inch of water for a couple of days, then it recedes. This particular beaver swamp is formed from beavers damming up a creek flowing into a river.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:38 am

Heck the beavers out here chew right through treated posts both green and black treated. :eek: :yes:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:59 am

we used 4x4 driven into the mud and its sturdy as all hell. Only used 4, one for each corner. ours is a simple 4x8 blind. I got my uncle to make us up a pile driver. I think he went a little over kill, but it sure did the trick. It didnt take much to get the posts down into the mud with that thing. I got a lot more pictures, but i dont want to turn this into a "my blinds better then yours", hyjacking. Pm me for more details if you like.
Attachments
158.jpg
158.jpg (22.34 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
160.jpg
160.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:02 am

clymerfowler wrote:im not sure if i want to sink the legs in or let them sit. if i sink them 4x4s might be hard to pound in out of a 8ft jonboat

And just remember, that wood is gonna want to float if you dont drive them in or secure them to the bottom somehow.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby clacy1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:35 pm

You dont need to pound the legs in. 4x6 pallets work great. They disperse the weight of the blind and are solid. You can stack them 2 or three pallets high and they are still stable. So we stacked ours two pallets high and side by side making a 8ft by 6ft base to set our blind on. Your anble to make the blind at home and with some help carry it to the site and set it on the pallets. Next year if you want to move the blind you can fairly easily.
clacy1
Newb

Postby Keny656 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:27 am

Huntfish12 wrote:we used 4x4 driven into the mud and its sturdy as all hell. Only used 4, one for each corner. ours is a simple 4x8 blind. I got my uncle to make us up a pile driver. I think he went a little over kill, but it sure did the trick. It didnt take much to get the posts down into the mud with that thing. I got a lot more pictures, but i dont want to turn this into a "my blinds better then yours", hyjacking. Pm me for more details if you like.

I was getting ready to post the exact same thing. We use one and I wouldn't build a blind without it. Ours is a cast iron cylinder with two handles welded on.
Rain Kead my Friends, Rain Kead.
Keny656
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting