Texas Rigging

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Which would you recommend?

Would you have the sinker affixed in a stationary position, allowing the swivel/decoy to move up and down the line to adjust for tide movements?
58%
Would you have the swivel/decoy affixed in a stationary position and have the mono adjust through the sinker?
42%

Total votes : 12

Texas Rigging

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:24 am

I find myself on delpoyment during this offseason, so I've ordered the stuff to make my own texas rigs for coastal hunting. I'm using 400#, 2mm mono with 2.2mm barrel crimps, 5/0 swivels, and 6oz pyramid sinkers. Like I said, I'm doing mostly coastal hunting where tides are definitely in play.

With the above stated, which of the following would you guys recommend?

Would you have the sinker affixed in a stationary position, allowing the swivel/decoy to move up and down the line to adjust for tide movements?

OR

Would you have the swivel/decoy affixed in a stationary position and have the mono adjust through the sinker?
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Re: Texas Rigging

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:06 pm

swivel attached to the decoy. weight attached to one end of the line (look in my $11 texas rig how to thread) and loop on the other. this way the loop that you attach the clip to is at the decoy and not the bottom by the weight when you go to pick up the decoy.... so no wet hands and its easier to throw out decoys by hanging on the loop and giving a toss.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Re: Texas Rigging

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:10 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:swivel attached to the decoy. weight attached to one end of the line (look in my $11 texas rig how to thread) and loop on the other. this way the loop that you attach the clip to is at the decoy and not the bottom by the weight when you go to pick up the decoy.... so no wet hands and its easier to throw out decoys by hanging on the loop and giving a toss.

this
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting