Layout Boat

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Layout Boat

Postby sstermer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:31 am

Picked up an old mini-max boat hull from Craig's List for $60 and turned it into a layout/hybrid boat. The paint job isn't done yet but will have to wait until I get rid of these crutches.

The thing was in bad shape, never had been coated with resin, fiberglass or even painted for that matter. There was a few weak spots in it.

So I started with this:

Fiberglassed the whole bottom and most of the top with light weight mesh and resin after making the cockpit bigger.

This thing will be perfect for floating the river this fall. Paddles easy with canoe paddle. :beer:

This is after the base coat of paint.
Pass the tradition, introduce a child to the outdoors.
sstermer
hunter

Re: Layout Boat

Postby finalflighttx » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:36 pm

Looks pretty cool have you ever duck hunted from a layout before?
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby sstermer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Nope. It's actually more of a hybrid boat but will allow me to hunt places I have not been able to in the past. Also will make the early goose season better, drifting the river and dusting some resident geese. :thumbsup:

My brother and I were thinking about some diver hunting on the finger lakes too. This may be our ticket along with my OLD bass boat to tender it.
sstermer
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:08 am

$60 that is one hell of a deal :thumbsup:
you just saved yourself thousands, NICE! :beer:
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:50 pm

dude it will completely change the way you hunt ducks. If you get into a bunch of divers out of that boat dude you will never shoot at a mallard again! I always made fun of the diver killers here on Fork but you don't judge it until you try it we are all diver addicts now! I don't think there is anything better in this world than a big string of bluebills workin a spread and getting their feet wet and crushing them only feet away from the boat!
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby sstermer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:12 am

The only problem now is buying all the divers dekes and rigs to do it. Gonna have to stretch my allowance. :fingerhead:
sstermer
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:16 pm

Ah HAA!!! Not so true my friend do ya have any old mallard deeks laying areound if you do you can paint em up like divers and they work just as good as GHG's! I am runnin about 50 home made divers right now just using some rattle cans of flat black and flat white you can also use black or white primer with a satin finish clear coat over the top they hold up pretty well and work good. Most of your bluebills aren't real picky when it comes to what they land in with as long as it is black and white. Im not gonna say that it will work every were like that but on our lakes here in east Texas if it is in a string they will hit it like a 747 on a runway! We kind of used some trial and error on how detailed we made our deeks that were repaints and found that a ton of detail wasn't just absolutely necessary now they will get a bit shy on them later in the season but we put them further and further away from the layouts and move our store bought divers closer as it gets later in the season and use them as attracter decoys out on the edge of the long lines because I put more white on mine than the big box guys and the flashing of the sides of the decoys bouncing around in the chop is pretty devastating! You can actually watch the bluebills and ringers when they see the lines they bank hard and commit almost with no hesitation! Give it a try if you have a buddy or two that have a bunch of faded mallards layin around then you ought to give it a shot! :thumbsup:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby sstermer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:44 pm

Got a batch of these to help get me started

sstermer
hunter

Postby jeepman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:42 am

that boat is great and the so was the price! what do you think I weighs?
jeepman
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:49 am

sstermer wrote:The only problem now is buying all the divers dekes and rigs to do it. Gonna have to stretch my allowance. :fingerhead:

The only diver decoys I own were once flambeau mallards. No wthey're buffleheads, canvasbacks, and a fleet of coots. A lot cheaper if you paint your own. Nice boat by the way.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby sstermer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:09 am

I have not weighed it but I am thinking around 80 pounds.
sstermer
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Reasonable guesstimation on the weight. Looks great! You guys will love hunting out of it.

The first time I took a Hybrid to a shot out lake, we set 100 dekes and had birds (ringers) in them all morning - the locals were coming around to see why we actually had birds working. It was hard hitting anything but a lot of fun, I think we went thru 75 shells for 6 or 8 ducks.

You will want to practice shooting from a sitting position and keeping the barrel swinging - we were stopping our swing because the boat will sway some and it just takes a little while to get used to it.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby sstermer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:33 pm

Finally finished painting it, looks kinda dark but I will see how its goes.
sstermer
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting