blind sealment

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

blind sealment

Postby sooner737 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:07 pm

I got a few industrial chemical totes to use for pit blinds. They will be close to the water line of the ponds. Obviously I'll be cutting the top off so question 1 is what would be the best way to water seal it? I plan on having it roughly 1' above the ground. Second question is I'm worried about it sinking over time. Any ideas to prevent this? Sand and pea gravel perhaps?
Thanks!
sooner737
hunter

Re: blind sealment

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:41 pm

sooner737 wrote:I got a few industrial chemical totes to use for pit blinds. They will be close to the water line of the ponds. Obviously I'll be cutting the top off so question 1 is what would be the best way to water seal it? I plan on having it roughly 1' above the ground. Second question is I'm worried about it sinking over time. Any ideas to prevent this? Sand and pea gravel perhaps?
Thanks!

Can you post a picture of the totes?
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:55 pm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sour ... 9amKSQMatQ

The release valve will be under water so scratch that Lol.
sooner737
hunter

Postby luie b » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:57 pm

sooner737 wrote:I got a few industrial chemical totes to use for pit blinds. They will be close to the water line of the ponds. Obviously I'll be cutting the top off so question 1 is what would be the best way to water seal it? I plan on having it roughly 1' above the ground. Second question is I'm worried about it sinking over time. Any ideas to prevent this? Sand and pea gravel perhaps?
Thanks!

Don't know what to do for sealing it but I've made a couple of deer stands out of those things and they work great! I thought you were talking about totes like I use at my work (meat processing Vienna sausages) and our totes are open topped like that but are completely stainless steel so I was about to say screw the duck blind and scrap it!
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:53 am

When you say water seal it, I'm assuming you mean to seal it from the top, after you cut the top off?
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:57 pm

Huntfish12 wrote:When you say water seal it, I'm assuming you mean to seal it from the top, after you cut the top off?

Yes sir. Maybe just a rubber mat?
sooner737
hunter

Postby teaves2257 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:48 pm

I dont believe you will get it sealed. Just lay something over the top to stop most the water. Bring you a bilge pump for the rest.
teaves2257
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:51 am

Not sure of exactly what you are wanting to do, but if you are planning on burying the blind (tote) in the ground beside the pond, my first inclination is that it's gonna pop up out of the ground if there is ground water anywhere close to the pond. You will have to anchor them/it down with either a "dead man" log or some trailer anchors. The amount of upward floating (displacement) force with an item like those chemical totes will be enormous and you'll have to offset that force with something that will counteract it. If there is water in the ground, you can figure out the amount of displacement (volume of the tote in cubic feet,) then convert to pounds as 1 cu. ft (1728 cu inches) of water weighs 62.5 lbs. and anchor it down with something that will hold down that weight plus.

I buried 1000 gallon concrete septic tanks in several impoundments where they would be 6 inches above the max level of water and still had to provide over 5000 pounds of anchoring weight force for each one, and the tanks weighed over 8000 pounds. Those tanks volume was 255 cubic feet each.

If you are concerned about rainwater getting in, a plastic tarp cover with rubber bungees streched & hooked to those wire containment grates around the sides should be sufficient to keep out rainwater. I assume the sides are strong enough to keep the force of the groundwater and dirt from caving them in?
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:01 pm

so if im following oyu right, your going to burry one of these things in the ground to hunt from and want to cut the top off.... You could get some of those pool noodles and put along the edge of the tote. then lay the cut off portion of the top upside down into/onto the tote. wont be balls tight sealed but should keep rain water out.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting