Old fridge smoker

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Old fridge smoker

Postby MinnesotaBornKiller » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:23 pm

Need help on making my old fridge into a smoker. What are the main things?
MinnesotaBornKiller
hunter

Re: Old fridge smoker

Postby handyandy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:49 am

You will need to add something for the heat source and to make smoke. Some people have made old fridges into smokers by simply adding a intake vent to the bottom that can be open and closed. A charcoal/wood box on the inside bottom, water trey above it, and a adjustable smoke stack vent on top. This would make the fridge into a nice insulated charcoal/wood smoker. If you want to make a electric or gas smoker out of it that would take a little more doing cause you would have to rig up a heater element, thermostat, and smoke source in it. I made a old electric range into a smoker I just added a wood pan and water pan in the bottome that sit on the ovens heater element. The element gets hot enough to get the wood chips smoking in the trey and to make the water trey boil to keep the meat moist. Being a oven already it holds heat well and regulates the temp on it's own really well, and ovens already have smoke vent in them.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby MinnesotaBornKiller » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:15 pm

What if I did a single burner propane like camp burner? On the bottom of it?
MinnesotaBornKiller
hunter

Postby loon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:11 am

ihave heard of people using an electric fry pan to heat the chips although I havent tried it. goodwill is a good source for cheap cooking elements
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting