DIY Mojo Wing Thang

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

DIY Mojo Wing Thang

Postby jscheirer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:06 am

So for hunting mallards in dry fields, everyone always says to have plenty of mojos out. I'm thinking of a cheap and easy way to make something like a Mojo Wing Thang, with just one wing spinning.

http://www.amazon.com/Amico-300RPM-Torque-Electric-Geared/dp/B0080DL25Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_2

Do you guys think this little motor or something along this line will work? The only concern would be finding a small motor with a big enough drive shaft. Any input is appreciated! Thanks
jscheirer
hunter

Re: DIY Mojo Wing Thang

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:03 am

I think by the time you bought the motor for 10-12 dollars, found something to house the motor & batteries in or wired a larger battery to several and fashioned a wing and shaft, you could probably buy the Mojos as cheaply as you made them. I know from all my projects that it's more satisfying building your own as I'm the world's most fanatic tinkerer. Maybe thats why you want to build your own. I usually do that on expensive items like the Vortex, the Goose Flagger, the Butts Up pumper, Weasel Ball Mallard, original Mojo, etc.

About 8 years ago, our local Walmart obviously overbought on the Wing Thangs. End of season they put them on sale but were disappearing from the shelf kinda slowly. When they got down to $12.99, I went to the store manager and offered him $8 each for the lot. He accepted and I got 21 Thangs for 168 bucks. Kept 6 for me, sold the rest on eBay and they averaged a little over $17.50 for the 15 that I sold. Keep an eye on Walmart.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Re: DIY Mojo Wing Thang

Postby jscheirer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:23 pm

All very good input. I cannot believe you bought them for that price at Walmart! That's insane! I think I'm just itching for season and looking for more and more projects to pass the time. I love DIY but with cheaper items you are right to just save the time and money. Thanks
jscheirer
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting