Home dyed rafria grass

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Home dyed rafria grass

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Been tinkering as usual. This time still working on perfecting the color for "harvest gold". I've got a couple of friends who'll fly up and join us in Canada and we needed a couple of extra layout blinds. We primarily hunt wheat & barley fields as well as peas when we can find the geese feeding there.

I found a 'bargain' on some adult hula skirts a while back that were the plain color and I have continually dyed a skirt or two to touch up other camo blinds, dog blinds, & layouts. We'll mud the blinds and then raffia them in the morning using this raffia that I dyed this week. I think I'm getting pretty close to what I'm looking for and at the outside chance I'll get some "constructive critisism (ie, bs) thought I'd see what you think of the color. I used Amarillo Yellow, bathed the raffia for about 3 minutes in it then put several drops of Tan color in to darken to the goldish brown color. Actually darker in real.

Raffia Harvest Gold dyed.jpg

Am I close?
Click to enlarge

Those strands are about 54" long and looped over a string which I cut on each side of the loop to release two 54" pieces of grass. I usually put 4 strands with about 4 strands of dark brown and 2 strands of natural together for a bunch then do the same kind of loop on the blind to secure the grass.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Re: Home dyed rafria grass

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:27 pm

here ya go tenfinger....scroll to the end for the dye formulas....
http://www.drundel.com/hunt/raffia/layout%20blind%20procedures.pdf
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:44 am

Tks, Inda
Rit's formulas never did give me the same colors that their color chart online showed. I'll give this guy's mixs a try. Glad to have some exact recipes.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:51 am

tenfingergrip wrote:Tks, Inda
Rit's formulas never did give me the same colors that their color chart online showed. I'll give this guy's mixs a try. Glad to have some exact recipes.

looking at a color online on a computer depends a lot on the screen's settings. kinda like a TV...remember the old tv's that you could adjust the blue, red, and yellow????

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:10 am

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:10 am

Heres some raffia I dyed a few years ago. did a ton of green and corn. I can pre stubble at least 4 layouts with raffia, giving a nice base for hunting in grass/clover or corn/oats.
Attachments
IMG_2012121228345.jpg
Cut grass green (base only)
IMG_2012121259850.jpg
Corn and brown (total coverage)
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:01 pm

Indaswamp wrote:check this out too Tenfinger...
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=256001

Thanks!

Yep, I saw that when you first posted it. I'm still not convinced that matte finish on the synthetic wrap won't shine in the sunlight. I'll let somebody else be the guinea pig before I invest in enough to do any good on a blind. It may be like that synthetic 'killer weed" I bought several years ago that when I took it outside it shone like a new penny. I tried painting it, dyeing it and never could get the sheen off.

I like the raffia hula skirts I got. They were $.50 each and the adult skirt grass was 27" long when doubled over the cinch twine which gave you two 54" pieces that were looped together and there were between 44 and 50 pairs on each skirt. I really like the fact that the strands aren't all twisted together and hard to untangle like the bulk raffia.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:18 pm

I'll keep you posted on how it looks when my order arrives. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:21 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:check this out too Tenfinger...
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=256001

Thanks!

Yep, I saw that when you first posted it. I'm still not convinced that matte finish on the synthetic wrap won't shine in the sunlight. I'll let somebody else be the guinea pig before I invest in enough to do any good on a blind. It may be like that synthetic 'killer weed" I bought several years ago that when I took it outside it shone like a new penny. I tried painting it, dyeing it and never could get the sheen off.

I like the raffia hula skirts I got. They were $.50 each and the adult skirt grass was 27" long when doubled over the cinch twine which gave you two 54" pieces that were looped together and there were between 44 and 50 pairs on each skirt. I really like the fact that the strands aren't all twisted together and hard to untangle like the bulk raffia.

This is from Avery's web page...
KillerWeed Concealment Kits
The most effective concealment ever available! KillerWeed is made from natural grasses that are dyed to match actual environmental conditions and then mixed together to create the most efficient and effective camo blind material ever. Unbelievably durable and weather resistant, KillerWeed is the perfect camo cover for deer stands, duck blinds and layout ground blinds. Three different kits to fit just about any need.

unless they use to sell synthetic and switched....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:57 am

My error!!

The stuff I got was Mojo Ghillie synthetic grass. It even came with plastic clothes pins. Here's a batch that I had left over after trying to paint, dye, etc another couple of batches and never could get the sheen off it. Dye won't penetrate and spray paint can't get to all the surfaces..... unless I try to soak it in paint?

Got any suggestions on a cure? Think I got it at a bargain price. Probably cause they knew it shone!

Mojo ghillie.jpg

Here are customer reviews from Cabelas (no longer carries it) that indicated folks didn't like the shine.
http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/227597/ ... ort=rating
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:07 am

I think the mojo grass is made from polypropylene. From polyproplene rope material......that schit is very shiny!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:10 am

Looks like mojo no longer makes the stuff either...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:11 am

I would be glad to mail you a sample of what I am ordering for you to look at.....a long strand of each color I ordered....
pm me your address. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:00 am

PM at you.
Tks
tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting