They are worth every penny when you consider everything. They have all kinds of sucking power although that's not what really makes them great because most high end vacs can do about the same. Where they shine is in there long term savings.
1) they are bagless, so you never have to buy them ( and bags are expensive)
2) like all vacs they have filters, but the Dyson filters can be washed and reused so you never have to buy replacement filters ( filters are expensive)
3) they really don't lose suction either when they are almost full unlike most vacs.
4) they are durable, I have one that has been working flawlessly for 10yrs!
5) that awful sound they make when you suck up something is a cluth inside the head that prevents the belt from breaking, so you will never have to replace a belt.
6) and when bought at sears, they come with a 5yr warranty!
So when you consider that they start out great and aren't designed to nickel and dime you like all other brands are its a no brainer for me.
I own a Sears store and have been selling them for about 10 yrs, and believe me I have learned to only try to sell merchandise that lasts otherwise I will certainly here about it!
FYI we have one of the basic models on sell right now for $250! Just don't get it at Walmart! They can't service it ( if needed) like sears can!
Sorry for the long sales pitch but I've finally found a thread on this site that makes me feel like an expert.
Hunt like your hungry