Duck Hunting Forum banner

Cheap decoy weights and Texas Rig

11K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  DriftboatDude 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok fellas its about that time again so I'm posting what I use for decoy weights.
This is very cheap very easy and very durable.
Things I used:
1 5LB back of quickcrete $5 (will make about 150 weights)
1 Bag of small (bathroom size) Dixie cups, plastic if the have them $2.50
box of straws $1
550 paracord $8 for 100'
one carabeiner $1 at home depot

First I poked holes in the bottom of the Dixie cups with a small Philips head screwdriver
Then I inserted the straws into the holes going all the way through the cups.
From there I mixed up the concrete in small batches and filled the cups. Do small batches because its kind of a pain to get the concrete into the small cups and you don't want it to dry before its in the cups. Once I filled the cup with concrete I would place them on the edge of the curb as to no push the straw back into the cup.
photo (4).JPG

photo (5).JPG

After filling the cups and while I let them cure I cut the lengths of paracord and burned the ends so it would not unravel. You need to burn them carefully because if you have a huge burnt section on the end it will not push through the straw. Sometimes they get stuck and I would used the small screwdriver to help push it through.
Once I finished letting the ends cool I would push one end through the straw and tie a "overhand on a bight" If you don't know how to tie this knot look it up.

After that I would slide the other end of the rope through the keel hole where a normal decoy line would attach and tied an overhand knot there. This allow the rope to slide freely through the keel and also allows the weight to slide up and down the rope.
photo (6).JPG

Finally I placed one last overhand knot between the decoy itself and the weight about 6" from the decoy. This prevents the weight from hitting the front of the decoy and damaging it when you pick it up.

photo (8).JPG

I attach the deocys to the carabiner through the knot I tied with the overhand on a bight. The weights will fall to the fronts of the deocys (which is where the knot is to prevent them from actually hitting and scratching the decoys).
From there I gather all the decoys lines together tie a simple slip knot and slide the slip knot loop into the carabiner also.
photo (9).JPG

In the picture the lower loop is from the slip knot the upper end on the carabeiner is the overhands on a bight knots.
To deploy this you just unhook the slip knot from the carabeiner and pull it through. Then pull the carabeiner through the overhand on a bight knots and drop the decoys in the water. One by one you can pick them up and put out your spread. They will not tangle.
When pick them up just attach the knotted end on the carabeiner and when you get enough tie the slip knot with all the lines attatch it to the carabeiner and go.
I hunt the coast so the color of the plastic cups blends with the sea shells you can see through the shallow water. For other decoys I have painted the cups a dull green and used a green color paracord.

Once all the weights are made it just a matter of buying more paracord and carabeiners to make as many as you want.
I find these much better then the wire line people use because the cord is much more plyable and does not have a memory as far as shape when tied up and not in use. Also you can shorten up the length when transporting them. Usually I will carry 24-36 at a time on two different carabeiners with half in front of me and half in back on my way to and from my hunting spot.
How this helps with some of you looking to make your own decoy weights.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Nice, just an idea that has worked for me, I bought some green clothes line cable and used it as it does not tend to tangle as bad as cord does. the trick is you need something to clamp the ends as you cant tie it, I took some washers and bent them over in half and then used a vice to clamp hem. I've used this set up for four years with out a problem and no tangles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.