Trash pump question

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Trash pump question

Postby ilgunner » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:00 pm

I have a trash pump that I'm going to use to flood a small duck hole. The pump I have has a one gallon tank on it which allows it to run about 2 hours. I'm considering adding a boat gas tank to extend the run cycle. Has anyone had any success with this? The boat tank line is 3/8 ID and the line on the pump is a small 1/4 OD gravity feed. Does anyone think reducing the line that much is going to effect anything.. thanks for any help
ilgunner
Newb

Re: Trash pump question

Postby WF1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:53 am

I've done something similar, except I just used a 10 gallon rubbermaid tub. I put the tub on some saw horses so it would gravity feed into the trash pump. My outlet fuel line from the tub was a little bigger than the inlet line into the pump, but the pump still ran great. I had a fuel filter connecting the two but I'm sure they have reducers as well.

I would let it run until it ran out of gas, a 3" trash pump with a 6.5 HP Honda would run for a good 7-8 hours on 6-7 gallons of gas.
WF1
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:55 am

There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby crawfordw2 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:45 am

Are there any places that you can rent a trash pump?
crawfordw2
hunter

Postby bill-d-c » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:19 pm

WhiteStar in Wichita rents them (at least they used to).
Sorry, I was thinking I was in the Kansas forum...never mind.
Bill
bill-d-c
Newb

Postby WF1 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Almost all rental companies rent them (including white star, used em last year to pump a pond).

That would get awfully expensive to rent one each time you wanted to clear ice, I think I paid $45/day for a 3" and they gave me the hoses for free too.

Look on CL-most ppl want full retail for their used but occasionally you'll find one super cheap (I paid $30 for mine). It's not the best but it gets the job done.
WF1
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting