DIY Mojo Extension Poles

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

DIY Mojo Extension Poles

Postby teddysberna » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:20 am

Anyone have any success in finding/ making some cheap extensions for their mojos? I have the square tube poles, but I'd like to get them a little higher off the water if possible.
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Re: DIY Mojo Extension Poles

Postby MissedAgain » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:19 pm

We use 2 pieces of 10 ft conduit with a coupling (2 screws in coupling - stick the conduit into the coupling & tighten screw).
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby manzquad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:08 pm

We use 3/4" conduit. To get the mojo to fit put one end in a vise and start squeezing it together. The first side needs to be squeezed smaller than what you need. Spin the conduit 90 deg. and squeeze again. Then hammer it out to get the correct fit. At the bottom I cut the conduit at an angle and pinched it flat in the vise, then ran a bead of weld down the seam. This keeps it from filling with mud and water to then later freeze, making it heavy. I also welded a 8" piece of 3/8" rod about 2' from the bottom to step it into the mud. If you don't have remotes on the mojo, make sure you turn it on before raising it. :oops: I hate when that happens. One of these days I will get remotes installed.
manzquad
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:12 pm

I used a 1" dowel rod, still stick the the mojo into the square end of the original pole and then carved down one end of the dowel enough to stick the mojo pole over it.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:04 pm

Ive found square stock that the mojo fit inside of perfectly. Its about 6ft long. i like the idea of the conduit though :thumbsup:
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:34 pm

We use both conduit and aluminum square stock (hollow). The square is a lot lighter but they both work well. You can get it up to 8' in length from almost any hardware store, then you can couple two or three together if you wish.

Personally, I've found that the closer to the water you can get them the better they work. After all I firmly believe that ducks don't think they are landing most of the time but standing on the water and flapping their wings like ducks always do.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Dr Swane » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:59 am

3/4" Pvc attached at the base of the mojo (6-10") leave attached and paint it green or tan or gray. Tape up a spot onto conduit 6-10" from the top where you want the mojo to rest and reduce vibration and cut a stake at the bottom or smash it with a hammer and you have a stake. I paint all mine to look like marsh grass. I also attach burlap in small pieces to make the skate appear more natural. Mojos still fit into factory boxes/bags with attached PVC and poles can be transported in another shotgun bag or strung together. Vary your heights. The smashed stakes will fit into fields, Mud, ice, etc.
Dr Swane
hunter

Postby micneador » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:37 pm

A good section of rebar, welded to the top section of the mojo pole.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:52 am

I have one of the old mathews motorized spinners. Have used a 3/4" section of conduit as pole when I needed one ten feet long.
Keep several lengths for different setups.
If 3/4 don't work on your brand try 1". It's cheaper and lighter than box tubing. Paint it flat black.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby TomKat » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:09 pm

I am looking at something like this acorn
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:14 am

Ive found that an old broom handle pole will work pretty good. You have to remove one ends cap or cut it off. Worked well in a pinch.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Splatt » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:42 am

Where I hunt, it's all river rock, so trying to put a pole in doesn't work.
I made base plates for the bottom, to just set on the rocks.
Different length poles out of square tubing, takes care of water depth, or corn stalks, in fields.
If the current is pretty swift, I can roll rocks on the expanded metal to help hold them in place.
Made some new ones without the expanded metal for field hunting.
Lighter, and no need to try pounding a stake in frozen ground.
I drilled holes top and bottom to put pins or bolts thru to make them a single piece for easy of carry and to prevent bases from coming off in deep water.
Splatt
hunter

Postby DrakeHunter21 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:49 pm

Hey guys first post here! I made two of these for my baby mojos a few weeks ago. I do not remember the diameter of the conduit I used, but I picked up 2 of the "live action" spinners for about $5 each so they could fit into the round conduit and hold my mojos. I simply took that with me to the hardware store, and found what conduit they fit, then got a larger diameter to hold the smaller pole. I got two 5ft conduit of the smaller diameter and two 5ft conduit of the larger diameter. Had to sand the "live action" spinner a bit to fit, but it fits like a glove now. The smaller diameter conduit simply slides inside the larger, and I have holes drilled through each pole to vary the heights I want. I use a little latch pin to hold at the desired height. Pretty simple poles to make, only about $20 for two poles, and they have plenty of length. :thumbsup:
DrakeHunter21
Newb

Postby h.kizzle » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:05 am

^^ I made a few of the same type of adjustable poles like this a couple years ago. Used the top section of the original poles and pounded the conduit square so the poles slide together drilled a hole in the conduit to match up with the existing hole in original pole and used a self tapper to keep them together. I used a d-pin and about a 6 inch piece of decoy cord to connect the pin to the pole so I don't drop it in the water when adjusting while setting up or taking down. They work awesome and it cost me about $6-7 per pole.
h.kizzle
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting