pull string mojo

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

pull string mojo

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:07 pm

Im sure most of us have seen the Youtube video of the pull string mojo, but i was wondering if anyone else has made one. If so, a little info would be greatly appreciated. Just looking for another take on the whole process.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Re: pull string mojo

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:20 pm

I made one just like the video. Watched it two or three times and it worked out great. I substituted some parts, don't remember which as this was a few years ago I think, but just followed his steps. Don't have it with me or Id show pics.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Boatman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:47 am

yea I made one works great. I just used one of my old flambeau floaters. what do you need to know.
I used tke wings off of my wind spinner,seams to work best.
Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:38 am

I guess im just looking for different ways that this can be done. From the video, it looks pretty simple. Im up in the air on which decoy to use. I can buy a wind powered mojo body for 15 bucks but then i would would have to cut it open. A battery power mojo body is 25 and its already got the post mold in the body and the opening on the back. OR, I use an FB feeder that got shot last year, and fassion up some way to mount it on a pole. Im leaning towards the wind powered body cause i dont really wanna give up a FB deek. I know im over thinkin this, but rather do it right the first time and have it work instead of getting out there and chucking this thing across the marsh. Thoughts?
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby tylerrux » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:10 pm

I made one last year out of a wind powered decoy. Unfortunately it got stolen out of my truck early this year. I can post pictures of how I made it if you'd like.
tylerrux
Newb

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:37 pm

yea, please do
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby tylerrux » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:27 am

Alright I have two different one's I've made both work but I'll post pictures of both.

photo 1.JPG

The first option is just modifying a floater decoy which is the cheaper option but I don't prefer this way.

photo 1 (1).JPG

I used an aluminum dowel with threads and nuts to hold a pulley on it which held the line for the pull cord.

photo 2.JPG

Drill through the pulley and put a piece of surgical tubing through and will later be pulled through a hole you drill in the back. This causes tension and is what will return the wings back to their normal resting position so you can manually work the decoy.

photo 3.JPG

I used heavy braided fishing line for the pull cord and tied a snap swivel onto the end outside the decoy.

My preferred option is to use a wind powered decoy and modify that.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... y&i=400492
This is the only one I have been able to find so far its the most inexpensive and works really well.

Almost everything is the same the only difference is you won't need the dowel or nuts.
You'll need:
-1 Pully
-epoxy
-surgical tubing
-fishing line
-snap swivel
-brass insert(Explanation at end)

If you choose to make one out of the wind powered one it's a little more work but works much better in my opinion. To do this you'll need to make the hole in the bottom bigger to give yourself access to the inside of the decoy. Once you have room to work inside a bit you want drill a hole in the pulley straight through the side to put the surgical tubing through later on and drill a small hole straight down the center then out the side this is to tie the fishing line on. Next you want to measure on the pole that attaches to the wings and center the pulley on that and epoxy it in place making sure it's as straight as you can possibly get it. Once the pulley is on and all that looks good you want to put the fishing line on the pulley and wrap a decent amount on. Next you want to drill a hole in the neck of the decoy(picture below) and insert the brass insert this is so the line doesn't cut through the decoy. pull some line out of the hole you drilled and make sure it doesn't fall back in. Next take the surgical tubing and put it through the hole you drilled in the pulley and stretch both loose ends back through the hole in the back of the decoy and tie it off on the outside so theres a little bit of tension but not too much. once youve done that id suggest putting the wings on so you can pull some line out and hold everything in place and tie the swivel onto the fishing line so once you let line in swivel will block it from taking too much in so there's still tension. at that point you should be able to pull the swivel and the wings will spin and when you let line back in the wings will return to the original position.

The brass insert I talked about earlier was just a piece of brass that was roughly 1/8th of an inch in diameter and it took me about 10 minutes of wandering around home depot to find it.

photo 41.jpg

You want to drill the hole in the neck somewhere in the white circle and you want it to be centered and lined up with the top of the pulley.

I'm sorry I don't have pictures of the wind powered one seeing as it got stolen a few weeks ago. If you have any questions about this don't hesitate to ask this description I gave probably sucks but it's late so I don't expect it to be perfect. If you decide to make one though let me know how it works out!
tylerrux
Newb

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting