blind in open space

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

blind in open space

Postby sooner737 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Ok guys I acquired a new hunting pond today. About a 2 acre pond with zero natural cover around it. Im thinkin layout will have to be the way to go but id rather not. How do you (suggest) covering a blind in the open? Or will it just look to unnatural being the only thing besides dirt there?
sooner737
hunter

Re: blind in open space

Postby scruggs12 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:05 pm

sooner737 wrote:Ok guys I acquired a new hunting pond today. About a 2 acre pond with zero natural cover around it. Im thinkin layout will have to be the way to go but id rather not. How do you (suggest) covering a blind in the open? Or will it just look to unnatural being the only thing besides dirt there?

It may be a pain in the ***, but make it look like a beaver dam. Simply pile up logs around it and set it in the middle (?). That will give you all around shooting if you leave yourself proper shooting lanes. Otherwise, tuck it on the shore and pile wood around it.
scruggs12
hunter

blind in open space

Postby okduckdude » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:25 pm

Mud it up and dig it in...

Also use shadows to your advantage if any are cast.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:45 pm

Sounds like the plan boys. Mud mud and dad AND the mother in lae would love for me to haul tree limbs off lol. 2 birds 1 stone.
sooner737
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Confused. Are you wanting to camo up layout blinds or are you wanting to build a perm blind on the shore?

If you are building a perm, mud it up real good. When you are done just lay some logs up around it and zip-tie some dead branches to it. As long as you don't move when birds are working you should be alright.
BBK
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:38 am

Yea itll be there year round. It's just the first time I haven't had any natural cover to build into. Wasn't sure if they'd land close to a "beaver dam" type blind. Ill sprinkle some corn around it to show no immediate danger :grooving:
jk......bout the corn.
sooner737
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:36 am

sooner737 wrote:Yea itll be there year round. It's just the first time I haven't had any natural cover to build into. Wasn't sure if they'd land close to a "beaver dam" type blind. Ill sprinkle some corn around it to show no immediate danger :grooving:
jk......bout the corn.

Even better idea, buy a Wonder Bread semi trailer and park it by the pond. Mobile, roomy, warm, can put stove and refrigerator in it, as well as a air conditioning system. Heck satellite tv too.

The most important thing is that its a Wonder Bread trailer, you will have every bird from miles and miles around flocking to that place. Since its only advertising the bread and your not putting out grain, bread, or other "food" rather using it like plastic corn, then its perfectly legal!

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:33 am

Haha reminds me of a pc game I use to play called "deer avenger" (if you dont know) you are a deer hunting hunters. Your "calls" say things like "these woods make me horny" or "help I'm naked...and I have a pizza" in a female seductive voice.....always feared deer hunting and cautious of female voices in the woods since....
sooner737
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:59 am

sooner737 wrote:Haha reminds me of a pc game I use to play called "deer avenger" (if you dont know) you are a deer hunting hunters. Your "calls" say things like "these woods make me horny" or "help I'm naked...and I have a pizza" in a female seductive voice.....always feared deer hunting and cautious of female voices in the woods since....

Hahaha I remember that game!

okduckdude
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:14 am

okduckdude wrote:
sooner737 wrote:Yea itll be there year round. It's just the first time I haven't had any natural cover to build into. Wasn't sure if they'd land close to a "beaver dam" type blind. Ill sprinkle some corn around it to show no immediate danger :grooving:
jk......bout the corn.

Even better idea, buy a Wonder Bread semi trailer and park it by the pond. Mobile, roomy, warm, can put stove and refrigerator in it, as well as a air conditioning system. Heck satellite tv too.

The most important thing is that its a Wonder Bread trailer, you will have every bird from miles and miles around flocking to that place. Since its only advertising the bread and your not putting out grain, bread, or other "food" rather using it like plastic corn, then its perfectly legal!

Wonder bread bags tied to sticks work well. I've always wanted to paint styrofoam pieces tan and float them in front of me and then stand there in plain clothes acting like I'm feeding the decoys. I'm sure it would work with the park ducks!
BBK
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:40 am

okduckdude wrote:
sooner737 wrote:Haha reminds me of a pc game I use to play called "deer avenger" (if you dont know) you are a deer hunting hunters. Your "calls" say things like "these woods make me horny" or "help I'm naked...and I have a pizza" in a female seductive voice.....always feared deer hunting and cautious of female voices in the woods since....

Hahaha I remember that game!

I had forgoten about that game.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:12 am

There has to be some kind of natural vegetation growing.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby TEXMEX » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:03 pm

If no one else can hunt the property.just build a blind of any kind. pvc/burlap or the ideas people have posted.if you were going to put it up and hunt it the next day, you would have problems. but they will get used to seeing it.I put blinds mid lake where im at .then scout with binocs it takes a good few days for them to start landing close by or within shooting range.If your real determined put one on each side for north or south wind.
TEXMEX
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting