wind duck floating base

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

wind duck floating base

Postby psuduckhunter33 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:34 pm

gonna try this out for divers this year... I live in Erie PA so we cant use elec. decoys so i needed a way to get my wind duck up in the air, in about 15ft of water.... we will see how it works and what kind of mods i may need. it has an i-bolt on the bottom in front of the keel so it will be able to anchor into the wind like a boat, the decoy is very light so it will not be top heavy. hopefully the keel will keep it somewhat straight. let me know what you think.
Attachments
decoy4.jpg
decoy4.jpg (9.3 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
decoy1.jpg
decoy1.jpg (11.17 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
decoy2.jpg
decoy2.jpg (15.08 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
psuduckhunter33
hunter

Re: wind duck floating base

Postby BBK » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:54 pm

Huh, that looks pretty cool. I like it!

The only bad thing I could see maybe happening is if it rides up on a wave and catches a wind gust at the same time. The wind might get under the board and push on the duck at the same time causing it to flip. But even if it does, its just a wind one so its not like you couldnt just flip it back over and continue.

Are you able to use that wind thing that mojo makes for their doves with that decoy? I'm not sure what it is called but its an adapter that goes in the end of the pole and then the duck goes in the top of it. It is free spinning so the decoy will pivot to always face into the wind if the wind changes. I think it is like $10. Would be worth it if it would work with your decoy. That way the decoy could always be into the wind even if the board has not turned that direction yet.
BBK
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:43 pm

If not i think urea duck decoys has a floating base for their wind ducks that you could use.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby psuduckhunter33 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:25 pm

ya those are really good points, im not sure what pole you are referring to from mojo? would i be able to use it in 15ft of water tho?? im thinking that even if the wind happens to change the board having even a small keel as well as the anchor at the nose of the base will turn it into the wind. Im thinking you could be right about the wind catching... but that base may even nose right through a wave keeping it a few inches under water for enough time that it wont flip. Who knows we shall see when the blue bills start piling in :thumbsup:
psuduckhunter33
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:41 pm

Did some digging and I found it. I had no idea they made one for the duck also, I've just seen the dove one. There is a video on the page that shows what it does.

http://mojooutdoors.com/index.php/vendo ... pathway-28
BBK
hunter

Postby psuduckhunter33 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:46 pm

ok i see what your saying now by watching that video. thats a pretty neat little device im def going to look into that.
psuduckhunter33
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:19 pm

Check out dcvr decoy poles have a 14 footer that screw in the ground they work great
coulterville33
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting