cornfield/lake

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

cornfield/lake

Postby mallardmark » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:14 am

i'm fairly new to duck hunting and i have a question for you seasoned hunters. when it comes down to hunting in your blind,do
you find one way of hunting easier than the other. that would be setting up your blind in a field or at a lake. is that a big
difference between the two.(equipment wise)etc. i use to hunt with my uncle (R.I.P.) til he passed on two years ago.
we hunted on a lake so i have an idea how that goes. just not familiar with blinds in the field.
thank you in advance for any input, ideas.... :help:
mallardmark
Newb

Re: cornfield/lake

Postby Take em boys » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:09 am

little confused on what your asking are we talking laydown blinds, making a blind, or what??? I hunt fields mainly so I guess ill answer that question I strictly use lay outs if you have allot of ground cover (Corn stalks, Wheat stubble, Brushy river banks ect) But stubble in every single stubble strap until its hard to find if your hunting low cut fields like Hay winter wheat or disked fields dig down about 6 inches (WITH FARMERS PERMISSION) to get you blind down lower then stubble it up!
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Re: cornfield/lake

Postby Abecks90 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:53 am

Mark,

I read your other post and think you may be biting off a bit more than you can chew. Although field hunting ducks and pond hunting ducks are fundamentally the same, they each require different equipment(which would be an expensive adventure to buy it all to start). The most common way to hunt ducks in a field is to use a layout (coffin) blind, fullbody, and shell duck decoys. This is different in that hunting over water would require floating decoys and some kind of blind(most likely not a layout blind). I think they may make some decoys that could be utilized in both scenarios but I am not positive. The best way to get a grasp on the different types/styles of decoys is cruise the Cabela's website and just check stuff out to get a feel for whats out there. Hope this helps clarify things for you a bit.

Adam
Abecks90
Newb

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting