Making a Bridge

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Making a Bridge

Postby CrazyDrake » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:05 pm

We are making a make shift bridge to cross a small, but deep ditch walking into our timber spot.

2 4x4x10's
3 pallets laid out on top of them.

What I am wondering is how long will the 4x4's be good before they are too rotten to walk across.

I am hoping to get at least a year out of them, and we can replace next year. Pallets come free to me, so it will only cost me the lumber.
CrazyDrake
hunter

Re: Making a Bridge

Postby MissedAgain » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Pressure treated 4x4 will last all season long - unless someone cuts it or moves it. Some guys over here were using a 2x12 to cross a ditch...
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:04 am

CrazyDrake wrote:We are making a make shift bridge to cross a small, but deep ditch walking into our timber spot.

2 4x4x10's
3 pallets laid out on top of them.

What I am wondering is how long will the 4x4's be good before they are too rotten to walk across.

I am hoping to get at least a year out of them, and we can replace next year. Pallets come free to me, so it will only cost me the lumber.

If you lay them on their side,you should be good for the season and it will be more solid and not bow as bad.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:48 am

I have been also toying with the ide-in Maine on sail marshes we have big tides-and when drained or not --the Guzzles--deep creeks some times 8' deep dry or wet cant cross--I was thinking old /new extension ladder put across guzzle then have pre-cut ply wood the lay down between rungs--voila --instant bridge ??--at least in my mind ..retracts, portable and stable ??
decoycarver
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:17 am

Treated ones will last for a while, and after the season you can pull them and store elsewhere out of the elements to get more life.
BBK
hunter

Postby CrazyDrake » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:28 am

decoycarver wrote:I have been also toying with the ide-in Maine on sail marshes we have big tides-and when drained or not --the Guzzles--deep creeks some times 8' deep dry or wet cant cross--I was thinking old /new extension ladder put across guzzle then have pre-cut ply wood the lay down between rungs--voila --instant bridge ??--at least in my mind ..retracts, portable and stable ??

The Extension ladder will work, we used one last year, but were not smart enough(didn't have enough time) to cut any ply wood to put down. So balanced from rung to rung. Didn't get wet, but it was not a fun experience either! Very very nerve racking.

I think we are gonna go with the 4x4x10's, to have it pretty wide. There will be some youngsters that will be walking cross it, and I'd prefer it be sturdy as to not chance them falling in!
CrazyDrake
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting