Ghillie blanket?

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Ghillie blanket?

Postby whtelk » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:52 am

Need a ghillie blanket.....I hunt green rye grass fields where there is 0 cover. Thinking about a ghillie blanket big enough for me and the dog. Maybe 7 foot X 6 foot ? any one ever make one?
whtelk
hunter

Re: Ghillie blanket?

Postby petrotk40 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:49 am

you could use something like this http://www.westcoastnetting.com/netting-products/amusement-park/handrail/knotted-18-4-205.html

and add some Avery killer weed with some zip ties.
petrotk40
hunter

Postby chesapeakebill » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:50 am

Yes I added Raffia grass to a net and actually made a ghillie suit, sort of a poncho. Worked great.
chesapeakebill
hunter

Postby bamahuntnfool » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:56 pm

petrotk40 wrote:you could use something like this http://www.westcoastnetting.com/netting-products/amusement-park/handrail/knotted-18-4-205.html

and add some Avery killer weed with some zip ties.

Sounds like a good idea! :thumbsup:
bamahuntnfool
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm making one right now out of plastic fencing. What I did was was make a makeshift trench coat with a hood out of it. The top half will be able to flip back to give a lot of room to to move. Then I cut a small hole where the back of the hood is. This was becase if I ever needed to have a quick lay out blind I could. Just flip it around and lay it top of you. Although you would have to through the whole thing off of you and lay in the mud. For $15 it ain't bad. I am also planing on using it for my kayak and deer hunting. It was practically free for me because it was scrap from my boat blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Postby Birdman7 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:20 pm

Drakenstein do you have any pics of the finished product?
Birdman7
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:26 pm

No I had to use the extra stuff for my boat but I finished it and it worked good. It would be best for those who sit on dove stools and marsh stools. But, it would also be good for flooded timber, and be a headache but for one hunt a year I'm going to use a small beach chair it for a lay out blind. But, I found that using it on a stool, would keep you completely conceal you while giving you nothing but your clothes to to be in the way of your gun.

Downside:I cut at the waste a slit almost all the around. That way it will flip back when your ready. The down side of this is it gets in the way but for using free scrap I had it works really well. The same for the layout blind is you have to through it off of you before you shoot.

How I made it: took landscape fencing and cut it into a 2ft x 12 piece. Then I folded it in half and and zip tied both pieces together on one side(all the way up to the loop and then you must judge how much gap you want to see out of the suit for the layout part. Then I took a an made a stap to go across the front for a belt using trotline clips and zip ties to make it fit better. You can use a your dads belt too(my dad is skinny). Then I cut all but about three or four squares all the way around the waste just above the belt. Let me know if you make any improvements

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby Birdman7 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Ya I was thinking about some how rigging this up to be able to turn my kayak into a modified layout boat.
Birdman7
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:00 pm

I would take it and use it in the layout blind way but make a wide belt and put it on the back it give you some camo. Either way you coat buy by the foot so use the excess for a custom blind for your kayak. I would take either pvc or each half of a paddle and stick it in the rod holders. It would be very roomy then.

Drakenstien
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting