shaker decoy

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

shaker decoy

Postby Freezer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:06 pm

I saw a post somewhere about how to build a shaker decoy, do you know how or where it is?
Freezer
hunter

Re: shaker decoy

Postby CWA » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:17 pm

Just saw this post. I took an older Mallard decoy, cut a u shape on top large enough for me to pull up the plastic and place one of the round battery powered shakers inside. I also placed some thin foam padding in the bottom to keep it from being noisy. It works great.
I don't know where the other post you are talking about, but hope this helps.

Tim Sallee
Founder/Christian Waterfowlers Association www.thecwa.org
Tim Sallee
Founder Christian Waterfowlers Association 501(C)(3)
http://www.thecwa.org
CWA
hunter

Postby mikebosmans » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:48 am

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=132140

Here's the link. I now have 7 of these. Tried doing it all the ways mentioned and I found the best was mounting the ball directly to the little flap that you cut. Gives the most motion, it is the quietest and least troublesome for battery changes.

The new Weazel balls do not have the little push button on/off switch. It is just a little rotating cover that holds your battery into the holder. With this change, I found it easier to throw away the not motorized half of the ball and just mount the motorized side to the decoy with a #10 machine screw. Just be certain that the screw head will not hit the rotating counterweight as it rotates and you are good to go.

Also, the little cut flap will allow you to flex the decoy open to access your batteries about 100 times and then the flexing causes the plastic to begin cracking. Eventually I put little 3/4" narrow hinges on mine.
mikebosmans
hunter

Postby CWA » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:29 am

Thanks for the post and details. That is a great tip!

Tim Sallee
Tim Sallee
Founder Christian Waterfowlers Association 501(C)(3)
http://www.thecwa.org
CWA
hunter

Postby Freezer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks guys I just ordered five Weasel balls. I'll put them in Sprig, Mallard and Teal decoys
Freezer
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting